Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

733610 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 313 314 315 316 317 ... 327 Previous Next
  • JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,710. Jan 2, 2013 8:38 PM (in response to az2mn)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Hey All -

Not much to report. No run today (rest day). Going to do 3 to 6 miles tomorrow on TM. Need to stretch out this stiffness from my 10k. Mainly came on here to post the goal, so you guys can keep my feet to the fire.

OSHCAT - dye race sounded neat. Looked it up online. Was it a 5K? Seems like thats what many of them are.

MELODYLEA- good luck with the Musher stuff for the pups paws. My pup is getting better at being house-trained, but still needs a lot of work. Seems like her legs are getting longer already (2 wks).

Sherb-  2000 people filled up in 36 hours? Sounds like a great race.

jmsab - you are right, I was "just bones". (not quite!) lol. I had one guy, who I think was in last, yell "Hey Bones!" The outfit did get me some attention, and that was fun. I'll have to think of a new gimmick for next race.

Im thinking of doing a PENGUIN PLUNGE. Thoughts? Its something I have thought about for a couple years. Usually, I think about it when it is happening, and that is really too late. Its a fund-raiser for Special Olympics. Went to the website. I have 3 weeks and need to raise $75 to make it happen. The bigger question is, should I? I have a huge grin right now, so, Im thinking I will. Time to start growing out the back-hair.

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,711. Jan 2, 2013 8:49 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Probably had some of you thinking I gave birth, huh?!? 

Trail runner

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,712. Jan 3, 2013 7:36 AM (in response to az2mn)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

OK, THIS was the coldest run of the season! It was 2 degrees with a wind chill of 5-10 below zero when I headed out this morning. I was dressed right, but some odd things seem to happen in this kind of cold. First, my MP3 headphone wires froze! They no longer worked and all I could hear was a metallic tin-can sort of sound.  Second, there was 1/4" square space above my goggles, so I got "brain freeze" for about 2 miles. Adjusted the goggles, which caused them to fog up and then ice over on the inside...it was kind of ridiculous, but me and my pup "got 'er done"! My dog was very happy to get home and next to the wood stove! LOL

Snerb Greetings, buddy! I agree about running as our therapy. I hope the new year will be kinder to you. YAY for Primal! Whoot. Almost a year for me. That race sounds exciting, enjoy those Brooks.

Old Coyote I personally am open to any forum as long as I can follow YOU ALL over to the next venue.

az2mn CONGRATULATIONS!!! So very happy for you, your daughter and son in law...everyone. Welcome to the world, Isabella!

JEFF CT Actually I've been using the "Mushers Wax" for a few years, it works great. Cant wait to see more pics of new puppy. Re: PENGUIN PLUNGE...I think you're nuts! LOL In a good way, though.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• timeasterday Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 4, 2012
    4,713. Jan 3, 2013 8:07 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

Ran 5k around the neighborhood in 26:29 (a personal best for me).

Just started running on 12/3/12 and am doing the C25K program, but skipped the first two weeks. I'm in week 7 and running a full 5k each time. Got my first 5k race coming up on 1/19.

Then it's on to 10k training!

-Tim

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,714. Jan 3, 2013 8:12 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ran some 400 and 200 repeats yesterday after a full set of core/strength XRs. With 2-mile warmup and /12 mile cooldown, totaled 6.5 miles -- 52:47. Decided to wait a while for next attempt at faster mile. Last one was 9.4 MPH (6:23), but lately 9.2 and above has been tough for just 1/2 mile, so I guess I'll have to work back up to it.

Took a look at 2012 results last night. Ran my first-ever (and still best) HM in April -- 1:39:02.  Broke my 10k PR in June at my second-ever race for that distance -- 45:31, then broke that in July with a 44:51 time in a race of 6,500 runners (highlight of the year for me). Set a new 5k PR in June -- 20:41. And ran my first-ever 5-miler in July -- 35:36. Probably my best chance for a PR in 2013 will be the 10k or the HM. I'll keep plugging away and hope for.............what else??........ THE BEST!!!

Az2Mn.... I had a smile that kept getting bigger as I read your post about Isabella.  A New Year's baby!!! And on your anniversary day!!! ConGRANDulations!!! My best to you and your daughter and the entire family.

Melody.... I never thought about road salt when I walked any of our dogs. Good to know. Your run today sounds as crazy as the Penguin Plunge idea.

JeffCT.... They call them Polar Dips here in ME. Not for me. I don't hit the ocean up here until August!!

Snerb.... Great news on the health front!! Grats to both you and your girlfriend on getting the diet working and the numbers in order.

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,715. Jan 3, 2013 8:48 AM (in response to jmsab23)

Ran 3.81 in 35 minutes.  My energy level was low.  Temp was 30 with bright sun.  I am logging my mileage on both MapMyRun and Runners World just to be safe!

az2mn - What a wonderful New Years gift!  It was worth all the waiting!

Jeff - Loved the skeleton suit.  You should wear it for the Polar Bear Plunge! 

Oshcat - My 3 DD's did a Color Run this past summer.  I was their official photog.  They had color everywhere and we had to ride home on the train.  There was color all over the train saets!

Melody - You are an inspiration with your cold runs.  i tell myself that if Melody can run at 2 degrees, I can run at 28!  I will have to get some of that Mushers Wax for my dogs.

Coyote - I did what you said to log on and it seems to be working! Thanks!

Snerb - Way to stick with what works for you!  I know running keeps me sane.

Tim - Great job on your time!  You will probably be even faster in the 5K on the 19th.  Good luck!

Jmsab - Wow! You had an impressive year with lots of PRs. Awesome atttitude as well!

Stay Healthy and WARM, Runners!

Pictures from the Color Run my DD's ran in August.

http://marielaughs.blogspot.com/2012_08_01_archive.html

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,716. Jan 3, 2013 9:13 AM (in response to Francessmom)

Snerb, running as therapy, are you kidding? That's why I'm doing it! Feeling great is always good!!

Igotwings, I wear shorts under my tights.I can't feel anything as it is now from the waste down because of the cold.

JMSab, I'll bet your overall pace has sped up. You just logged 5 mi. at 36.16. It may not be a PR but trends matter!

FrancesMom, Bose earbuds sound heavenly! Enjoy them !! I rarely run without music. It calms me and keeps me going in so many ways! I'm liking the idea of the Philly RnR. I prefer my races in early summer and not running the Philly Marathon would free me up to run the Route 66.

Every year at this time I MISS THE MUMMERS!!

Welcome to the new folks! keep us posted on your runs!! Jeff, nice costume!!

Deb, your run with the cancer patient was so inspiring! My goals are reach goals, not realisitic ones. I expect I'll run a little faster and farther.

Mel, 7 degrees!?! When it's too cold for the equiptment to work properly, it might be too cold for the humans. Just thinking? I don't expect to run 2 fulls this year. I thought about it and Scott talked me down off that limb.

Oshcat, "fluffball"? HA! It sounds like your Color Run suffered from the cold. They advertise a color station at every kilometer so there would normally have been four with the start/finish. I bet they had too few volunteers and did the best they could with what they had. Hopefully you'll get a chance for a summer run.

OC - You have such a great spirits!! Wonderful idea for your NY run! You rarely see coyotes sitting around drinking out of boredom.

Had 695 miles on Endomondo for the year on 12/30 and didn't feel much like running. DD left her germs and I am definitely sick this time, powered by meds and coffee I can't taste. I found a bunch of runs on another program that never made it to Endo and added them in. The final mileage says 714 and it's probably around 750. I'm ok with that. Tried running NY day but struggled through a mile. One Mile! Final = 3 mi.in 41 min. and at least 1.5 of that was walking so maybe I went out too fast, also. Oh, who cares. I shouldda stayed in bed. Went home and made soup that I couldn't taste.

2013 long races as of this moment:

3/17 Heart Mini Marathon (10k or HM)

4/27 Kentucky Mini Marathon - HM

5/5   Flying Pig Marathon

5/18 Run With the Foxes (Maybe)

9/15 Philadelphia RnR HM

9/21 USAF HM

10/20 Columbus Half Marathon

11/10 (maybe) Freedom Marathon

11/24 Route 66 HM or Philly

Let me know if you plan to be around?

You all Have Happy and Strong runs!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,717. Jan 3, 2013 4:09 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

YIPPEE!!  Ran 9.1 miles, 1:47:45.  Tough run in the snow, about 20 degrees, 15 mph wind, sunny and clear.  Tried to run on trail lined with more trees but the shadows made it more cold and the farther I ran into the woods, the deeper the snow.  Most of this particular trail have been used by cross-country skiers, hikers/walkers but hardly any runners. No problems with the higher altitude, about 6,500 ft.  Some slushy spots but the deeper parts of the snow and short inclines challenged my legs and ankles. 

Melody:  compared to your frigid running temps, my run today was in a 'heat wave' ......... you're one tough die-hard!!

Snerb:  great way to manage life's interruptions, I know my healing skills comes in handy during my runs when dealing with some difficult times; good for you!!

Mary Kay:  wow!! can't believe you have a race schedule for 2013 already!!  I have to go one or two months at a time ........but if it works for you, go for it!!

JMsab:  You can break those elusive PRS!!  impressive race times!!

OC & NHLA:  anyone else expressed interest in having this forum on another site?  NEED this group for support so let me know ........ .

Thank you everyone for your well wishes!!

Trail runner

• picasoflake Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 26, 2012
    4,718. Jan 3, 2013 6:40 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I carry out nearly 4 - 5 kms.. in recent december...

I am trying to improve over it ..

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,719. Jan 3, 2013 6:53 PM (in response to az2mn)

Francesmom - I often wonder how I would handle a dog with "issues" or a wild critter - good thing he didn't sink his teeth into you.

Jeff - put some weight on, you're all bones.    Penguin Plunge? brrrrrrrr

jmsab - you're fast.  If I cranked the TM up to 9.2 mph I'd go flying right off the back of it!

OshCat - glad you had fun!  I'm not sure I'd like all that powder blowing at me - and certainly no one would be getting in my car after that!  LOL

MelodyLea - I don't know how you do it.  The temp here was 5 degrees this morning with a windchill of -6 and I rolled over and tucked my head under the covers. 

Snerb - running is therapy, and then I get so busy I don't have time for my therapy, therefore needing it all the more. 

AZ Happy Grandbaby!!!!!!! Congrats!  And on your anniversary, too.  Post a pic when you can.  hugs! 

Tim - nice work!

OldCoyote - as long as we all go together, I'll migrate to another site.  It's not where you are, it's who you're with that counts. 

MaryKay - feel better, but I must admit I love your spirit - nothing keeps you down for long.

So I wimped out this morning.  It was 5 degrees with a windchill of -6.  I didn't even want to get in the car and go to the Y. On the up side, saw my hematologist today and my iron levels are moving in the right direction - she told me to keep doing whatever I'm doing re: medication/diet. 

I will report on a run tomorrow - outdoors or TM - but I'll be running.  

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,720. Jan 4, 2013 8:31 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.2 miles 57 min. Champion Hills. I saw three sunsets. First on Ecco mt. then the sun dropped behind hebron mt. Second when I topped hebron and third when I got to little river valley.

I think we should change to dailymile. Easy format. You choose friends so it will be easy to stick together. Or runningahead. Most of my RW peeps are leaving rwol and changing to RA. RWOL's new format is slow and you get spammed to death.

Man ya'll are running in some cold temps.

Mel how hard is the mush wax to get off? Does it make a mess in the house?

AZ congrats!!

Jeff you're having too much fun. Keep it up.

jmsab it looks like the 10k will be your best chance at a new PR. Your 5k and 1/2 times are fast,

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,721. Jan 4, 2013 9:17 AM (in response to NHLA)

Az, I'm still a newbie and these races are like power gems on a video game that I'm trying to grab. It seems every time I set my eye on one, there's some obstacle like a sell-out or too short time limit. I've only registered for the AF HM right now but had to plot the races to make sure I'd have time to do it.

NHLA, I LOVE the way you find beauty in things others just see!! I'll move if you all want to. Between your suggested sites, I'd prefer Dailymile since I'm registered there and using the site for a local group project.

Feeling better but that means I'm realizing how bad I felt. I was really sick this time. I don't even mind that I'll have to work when I get back into running but that could be the medicine talking; all I want to do now is sleep but that could be the medicine talking, too. MucinexES and Zpack and Advil Cold and Sinus. Ohmmmm. Love that you all are growing and stretching your limits!! JM, may I ask how old you are?

Run strong and, yeah, you know the rest....

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,722. Jan 4, 2013 3:41 PM (in response to mkayc)

timeasterday Nice job on the PR!

jmsab23 Those are some outstanding statistics! Your ARE right, Re: "Your run today sounds as crazy as the Penguin Plunge idea."

Francessmom Good job "gettin' 'er done!" Yes, the Mushers Magic is awesome stuff.

mkayc You sure are "plucky" as my Alaskan sis would say. You just keep after it no matter what!! I think you may be right Re:"When it's too cold for the equipment to work properly, it might be too cold for the humans. Just thinking?" LOL

az2mn Fantastic 9 mile run!! Whoot. Thanks, Re: "you're one tough die-hard!!"

Debm2011 The Dr.s report is a good one. We'll be waiting for the run report.

NHLA The "Mushers Magic" wears right off. It has the consistency of Vaseline and doesn't seem to leave any marks or stains on the floors or carpet. My dog sort of slips around in the pickup because she tries to stand on the console between the seats (silly girl)!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    4,723. Jan 4, 2013 7:47 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Moving to a different site is fine, just need to keep together for your support and encouragement.

3 miles on the treadmill this morning, we may be getting a slight warming trend in the next week, so hopefully can get outside for a few runs. 

Run strong and safe!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    4,724. Jan 4, 2013 7:59 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Hey All - Got in 3.25 miles on the TM today. Was supposed to do a run yesterday that didnt happen. For some reason, these 3 miles were pretty hard for me. I think its just that I need to get into the rhythm. barely been running lately. its been forever since I used the TM. Speed was 0:37 faster, but almost 6 miles shorter than my last 6 runs. Im gonna try to get in another 3 tomorrow, just to get over 10mpw. And to get back into this.

Before I forget to say it, I am thankful for all of you. If you all want to move to another site, just let me know. I havent really had any problems with this site as far as the blog goes. The rest of the site I have had issues with, but you are all a great group - I really look forward to sharing and to reading your status updates.

Melody - that is some cold weather. 2 degrees? I agree that once your equipment starts freezing up, maybe thats a sign. Im impressed you did it. Thats what I love about this site, its both a place to brag, and a place to relish in the accomplishments of others. And it works out to be a huge motivator.

jmsab - Polar Dips huh? I orignially wanted to do something where I dropped into the water, and hopefully I climbed out on my own. The pics I am seeing of the event I signed up for, are of people running into the water, maybe knee deep then running out. My PLAN, is to splash my way in all the way to my waist, then dunk my head under and be 100% under. Sounds a bit the the "Polar Dip" term, but running in gives you more time to acclimate/chicken out. A friend of mine is volunteering for a "Dip" or something in CT but that one supports Breast Cancer research and has Texas Roadhouse Chili afterwards. Im so shallow, I want to go where there is free chili. If it was in the same town, the Chili dunk would win.

Frances - I like the idea of the skeleton suit for the plunge - I like the idea of standing out, but I probably wont do it. It takes some time to get on, and off. If Im freezing, I'll want to be dry FAST! Also, I assumed by the look of the suit that it would hold at least a little heat. It doesnt. I dont want people thinking that Im toasty warm. Oh, there is also the thing about it covering my face. If Im drowning, it may take people a little too long to save me when looking at my smiling skeleton face. But still, I like the skeleton idea. Need to think on it.

MKC -700-750 miles in 2012? Way to go! I think I got close to 400. I didnt run every month. 2013 is going to be great!

AZ 2- 9.1 miles in the snow. Doesnt sound easy. Good job!

Deb - I have been going back to bed too much lately. I think I'll be doing the TM as an improvement to staying in bed. My goal (for now) is about 10-20 mpw. If I can maintain that, it will give me a good jumping-off point for the Spring, or whatever date I am able to hit the trail again.

NHLA - 3 sunsets. Nice! Great timing and great trail.

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...