Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1959 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2013 11:40 AM by gilbertholdings RSS
PrimalZombie Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 3, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 3, 2012 3:40 PM

WOw what a wimp

Hey out there.i am 24 years old and am very new to running . By new I mean i will go for my first run tonight. I have tried running before and the one time i did some guy laughed at me and i never went back. Im a very shy nervous girl. So the things people do and say really affect me .i am terrified of passing someone on the track. How do i get over this? Any help is appreciated

• Haselsmasher Legend 507 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    1. Dec 3, 2012 4:11 PM (in response to PrimalZombie)
    WOw what a wimp

1.  Whatever your speed you're faster than someone sitting on a couch.

2.  While someone passing you at the track shouldn't bother you, if it really does, don't go to the track.  FInd a sidewalk or something.

Be careful about ramping up too quickly.  If you do so you can injure yourself which can be extra frustrating.  Look around for a program called Couch To 5K.  It's a great, prescriptive program for getting to the point of running a 5K in something like 9 weeks.

Good luck!

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• McGee438 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 24, 2011
    3. Dec 31, 2012 8:12 AM (in response to PrimalZombie)
    WOw what a wimp

Well done, Primal.  I got super out of shape and highly self-conscious. When I started training last year with walking then into the C25K I also trained myself to wake up at 4:00 a.m. so I could walk and run in the dark. Nobody sees me jiggling because nobody else is awake! I dropped some weight and now look like I know what I'm doing, but the 4 a.m. run still feels better. Having  the road all to myself is awesome.

Keep it up. It's truly worth the effort!

• helloitsanne1 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 2, 2013
    4. Jan 4, 2013 7:58 AM (in response to PrimalZombie)
    Re: WOw what a wimp

Hi!  I don't know about other people, but I couldn't get up the courage to start running (intervals) until I had access to a treadmill.  It's much easier.  Some people would say that's not a good thing, but for me, it's what I needed to get started initially.

I don't look at other people when I'm running, and I make damn sure I have an outfit on that keeps everything compact and in place.  I had no idea until I tried compression pants (and let's be honest, compression bras) how much that'd help.  I went from feeling like a jiggling idiot to someone who belonged in the gym.

Also, any real runners are not going to judge you on how fast or slow you run.  When you're new, running slowly is a necessity.  My sister runs at a slower pace than myself (her 5.0 to my 5.2/3), but guess what?  She outlasts me by a crazy amount.  I'm still having to remind myself to slow down so I can get more stamina.

Feeling confident running is different than feeling confident in other areas of exercise.  After 1.5 years of working out, I thought I was totally ok with being in the gym, until I started running.  I was humbled very quickly.

Now I'm at the point (6 months later) where I feel somewhat confident when I start running.  I'm not a "runner" yet, but these things take time.  It is perfectly normal to feel very self-conscious when you start.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

The important thing is to keep at it, and remind yourself that every new day you work out is a step toward feeling totally confident in a gym or at the track.  I promise.

Determined to lose 100 pounds in a healthy way, thinking long-term. Run/walking 5ks as a part of the process. Follow my progress at The Little Blue Dress.

-

10/27/12 - Celia Hays Elem. Spooktacular 5k - Rockwall, TX - 49:49:93 - my first 5k!

12/1/12 - NFHS Jingle Bell Run 5k - Garland, TX - 45:23:00

2/6/13 - Dash for the Beads 5k - Dallas, TX - 44:34:00 - holy crap, the hills!

3/2/13 - Jones Elem. Jag Jog 5k - Rockwall, TX - 45:27:14 - this was not my day

4/6/13 - The Color Run 5k - Dallas, TX - just for fun

8/3/13 - Melon Dash 5k - McKinney, TX

11/9/13 - Urban Dare - Ft. Worth, TX

• MegaDan88 Amateur 26 posts since
    Mar 1, 2013
    5. Mar 2, 2013 6:23 AM (in response to PrimalZombie)
    WOw what a wimp

As fast as a runner is, there is always somebody faster. And I suppose vice versa, always somebody slower. Just remember that next time you might get intimidated.

When I first started running and went to the track, I was petrified. But fortunately I was with a running partner and that helped alot. But after the 'newbie' butterflies it was

like a walk in the park...no pun intended

The thing about the track is to be curtious to fast runners in the inside lane and make room for them, and vice versa.

Other than that, as Donny Brosco says, "forget about it."

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep."

Robert Frost

Los Angeles Marathon on March of 1994: 3 hr 28 min 9 sec

Run with Santa 5k on 12/22/12: 25 min 19 sec

Mardi Gras 5k on 02/09/13: 24 min 50 sec

Cirque Du Soleil 5k on 03/16/13: 23 min 33 sec

Douglas Green Memorial 5k on 05/18/13: 22 min 47 sec

4th of July 5k Blast on 07/04/13:???

• ERue Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    6. Mar 3, 2013 1:29 PM (in response to PrimalZombie)
    WOw what a wimp

I am pretty new to running as well. I've actually never been super athletic or anything, mostly did dance and gymnastics when I was younger (like under 16-17). I had three kids in 4.5 years, so my body took a hit. I tried to get started with the C25K a few months ago, but I was going to a small fitness center that is open to the neighborhood we live in, and just felt super self conscious, too, bc I felt like I was surrounded by young guys working out on the weight machines. We finally purchased a treadmill and it has made a huge difference. I don't have the intimidation of having to deal with other people while I'm trying to get the hang of things. Once I get through the C25K program in a couple weeks, I'm definitely going to be heading outside more, but for now, I can't tell you how much having privacy has helped my self confidence.

Good for you for getting started!

• RunningNut3 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 6, 2013
    7. Mar 6, 2013 3:55 PM (in response to PrimalZombie)
    WOw what a wimp

I always tell myself that no matter how fast or experienced a particular person is, at some point they were at my same level. In the end i'm running for me and my own goals.

RunningBrief - Free weekly email digest by runners for runners
    Geek Turned Runner - Blog

• gilbertholdings Amateur 27 posts since
    Mar 6, 2013
    8. Mar 7, 2013 11:40 AM (in response to PrimalZombie)
    WOw what a wimp

running is just like anything else.  if you compare yourself to others, you'll probably fail.  if you compare yourself to your past self, you'll probably suceed.  i know it's easier to say than do, but sometimes if you just force yourself to do something, the confidence will come.

Negative Ion Bracelets, Necklaces, and Accessories

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...