Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6152 Views 26 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2013 10:50 AM by shipo RSS 1 2 Previous Next
deanscox Pro 107 posts since
Jan 3, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 16, 2012 2:45 PM

My Quest For "Running My Birth Year" in a 5K

Some of you have followed the trials and travails of my experience as I got off the couch in Feb 2012 and for the first time in 53 years started to run/jog.   I put the details in the Newbie Cafe under the post "want to Watch a 53 Year Old Lunatic Amuse Himself with the C25K Program?  

Much to my surprise, I found myself enjoying the process and have made glacial, but steady progress and now I am inching my way toward my long term goal of a 19:59 5K (or what I call "running my birth year....clever huh?) My first ever 5K was in April of this year at the Deena Kastor portion of the Great Race of Agoura with a molasses-slow  31:44, followed the next month by the Run Seal Beach at 29:11, May's race was the Ventura Law Day at 28:40....then a couple of months off recoverng from a massive shin splint  (that is what happens when you run in worn out shoes) and just did the Colonel Allensworth State Park 5K this past Saturday at 27:17. Next race will be the 5K Race that is part of the Santa Clarita Maraton on 11/4....lots of hills....not sure what I can do, but I would be happy with any improvement on 27:17.

Not sure yet what my physical limitations are to acheiving the 19:59, but I figure I can keep chipping away at the time reduction over as long a time as I want.  I have dug out an old copy of "The Self Coached Runner" and it looks like I can adapt the 10 programs to 5K times and programs.  I am using Running Mates' Faster5K program right now, but I know I am going to have to make the training much more individualized because of my age and basic lack of talent.

I will keep you posted.....and I am sure your are holding your collective breath.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Oct 22, 2012 12:32 PM (in response to deanscox)

Keep the focus on your goal deanscox! It is a wonderful agenda and makes perfect sense. I would be happy with translating my birth year also for a 5K finish...a little more complicated in my case, but I think it works out to 20:07. Anyway, you are correct...it is clever and just look at it as your destiny.

I am moving a little closer to the ultimate PR, but doing mostly longer events and have to get back on schedule with some quality speed work. Of course, I am not getting any younger, so that presents an ongoing list of other challenges, but nevermind. Intervals and hill work might help some with improving your pace. Also, look at the courses for particular races and search for those three magical descriptions: "Flat, Fast, and/or Downhill Finish."

Wishing you every victory in your quest....let us know about all the progress.

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    2. Oct 22, 2012 12:56 PM (in response to deanscox)

You will definitely need to add strength and speed workouts into the routine in order to continue moving in that direction.  I coach mostly people over 40 who are beginners and I dont  recommend true intervals until after at least 1 month of hill work preferably on a grassy surface.  That will really help to strengthen your joints and tendons for the additional stress that intervals will bring. 

Its always great to have a goal, just remain patient and you will progress.  Do too much too soon and it will cost you.  Make sure you have been fitted for your shoes at your local running store where they can analyze your running gait and help you choose the best shoes.  Keep us posted, we love to hear about a great success story like yours!

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    5. Nov 1, 2012 10:54 PM (in response to deanscox)

The 5K that's run in conjunction with the Santa Clarita Marathon had 1200 runners last year. So you will have plenty of company in the 5K. If you're curious, the 2011 results are posted at      https://www.runraceresults.com/secure/raceresults.cfm?id=RCEW2011

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    8. Nov 5, 2012 8:01 AM (in response to deanscox)

One of the unique and awesome things about this sport is that you can find a race every weekend.  Dont be so hard on yourself, sounds like you ran well and learned a few things. 

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...