Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

729466 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 314 315 316 317 318 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,725. Jan 4, 2013 8:17 PM (in response to JEFF CT)
    My last run was...how was yours?

I hit the treadmill at the Y this morning for 3.35 miles. Started slow and progressively increased my speed to a fairly hard effort, then progressively dropped back down.  I have a feelingn I'll be usingn the TM a lot as all this ice is making me nervous - if I could run in daylight I wouldn't care, but weekdays I have to be out the door by 5:30 at the latest and dark + icy sidewalks are not my favorite combination.

Huge Scout fundraiser tomorrow - I should already be in bed as I have to be out the door by 5:15 a.m.  - so no run tomorrow.

As for migrating, whither thou goest . . . I have an account on DailyMile already if we end up there.  Keep me posted -  I need my teammates to keep me going. 

happy running all.

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,726. Jan 5, 2013 5:38 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ran 4 miles Thursday, 29:17, and did the 20-minute hill workout Friday, plus a 1.3 mile run after to make 3 miles total. Also did the core workouts each day before running.

It's warmer today than the past three days, but it's supposed to be windy. I have all my gear packed for the 5k this morning. My nephew backed out, but I may go alone anyway, if the wind doesn't get much worse.

Debm... Good news for you from the hematologist. My bloodwork last week showed low iron again - slight anemia. I went to the hemat last year and he wanted me to come back again, but he said he couldn't figure out why my numbers were where they were. My reticulocytes (sp?) weren't normal. I told him I felt great and didn't have any symptoms he asked about. I told him if he didn't have any ideas, I wouldn't be back. I stopped taking iron pills last summer. So now my PCP says start back up on the iron and we'll see next year at my physical. The worst thing about it all for me is I can't donate blood. I've done that since high school. I got rejected a few times for low iron, so I think I've had this issue for years. We'll see after next year's tests.

Mkay.... I'll be 57 next month.

NHLA.... Three sunsets in one run is pretty cool. I'll be happy when I see sunsets later in the day.

Az2Mn.... 9 miles in the snow in cold temps??? Are you sure you're a grandmother?

JeffCT.... Get those 3 miles in. And go for the chili when possible.

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    4,727. Jan 5, 2013 9:38 AM (in response to jmsab23)

jmsab23- perilous to advise on line, but the thing that comes to mind first with your iron issues is gluten sensitive enteropathy, or gluten sensitivity.  It can reduce iron absorption (as can other things).  Just a thought.

Debm- I agree about the ice!  I'm trying to embrace the TM, managed 5 miles this morning, longest on TM to date.  Easier on weekend when time isn't so much a factor.  Unless you have a scout fundraiser to get to!!  Good luck.

Run strong and safe friends.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,728. Jan 5, 2013 10:13 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Blackjack 5k.  22min 10 sec  4th place overall.  The course was a mess. It flooded then 1000 runners, bikes, and dogs ran thru then it froze solid. I just could not run any faster without busting it. 1st card 4, second 8, third king = busted. Nice turnout considering how cold it was.

jimsab get a new doctor.

deb how are you listed on DM? I'm jimmie t.

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    4,729. Jan 5, 2013 12:11 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

After a couple weeks of vacation, sloth and  a cold, I'm back to running.  I spent Chrsitmas vacation at my Brother's place in suburban Houston.  I got in two early morning fartleks at a local elelmentary school track.

Then I got home to Chicago, and wham-nailed with a cold.

I'm over that now, so I started slow.  Yesterday was a lunchtime run on the dreadmill..er I mean treadmil.

Today, 12 miles.  Over to a river front trail, plus time on the track near North Park.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,730. Jan 5, 2013 12:21 PM (in response to degregorius)

New Year's Day got in 6 miles plus an hour of yoga.  Not so good since then with only 4.5 miles on the 'mill while in Austin, then an hour lifting this morning.

A neighbor stopped by today and asked if I wanted to go for a run...so we are heading out tomorrow at 11 AM.  Know he is faster than me so maybe this can help break me out of the funk I have been in.

Been reading all your posts but tough to respond while I was out of town.  Great off season work by everyone.  NHLA, good race today!

Have you all decided where to take this thread?  I am happy to move as long as we can keep the group together.

Keep up the great work, and be fearless!

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,731. Jan 5, 2013 2:34 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I missed a few days, and had 2 pages to read!

Welcome to timeasterday, and to picasoflake! Just jump on in here, we don't stand on formalities!

I took a couple of rest days in a row, as I just started a new job. It's a conditional offer, so I'm still a bit nervous...Should have approval from the company President early next week. I'm working with his son who is a runner, so that helps! I did an easy 3 Friday morning, cold. I wore too many layers and was drenched by the end.

Today was the Colorado Masters Running Association Lake Arbor 5K. I ran this as a tune up to the Quicker Quaker next week, but I may be tuned a bit sharp...22:19, a PR by over 2-1/2 minutes!

One runner collapsed at about the 1/3 mile point. CPR was started immediately and 911 called. I ran past him (on a double loop course) and nearly quit running, but (1) there was nothing I could do; (2) with privacy laws there was nothing I could even find out; and (3) with all the stuff I've been through lately I'm just numb. The best thing I could do was to pray, and I do a lot of that while running. Still, I feel guilty about feeling good about my PR. When is it all going to just stop?

Run Free!

Jun 12, 2011
    4,732. Jan 5, 2013 3:26 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

jmsab - I can't remember all the different tests, but tests I had!  We ruled out celiac disease, and no blood in GI tract (fortunately in a non-invasive manner) and a few others as causes for anemia.  My levels are still low,but I'm out of the official anemia diagnosis.  I've known for a while I can't even try to donate blood - they won't take me.  Good luck!

NHLA - Hi jimmie t. - nice pic!  Love having a face to go with the posts I'm Deborah M. but I just signed up the beginning of the year to check it out and have only posted once or twice so far.  Congrats on the race today  - despite the course coonditions - tough luck on the cards.

Dan - nice 5 on the TM - I'm lucky to get up  to 4 miles but I'll keep working at it.  Tomorrow - assuming I can get out of bed - will be an outdoor run in the daylight before church.

degregorious - glad you're feeling better

Linus - it's hard to be motivated right now - is it winter in general or the darkness or what?  Regardless hope the funk doesn't last.

OldCoyote - don't feel guilty.  First, if there was nothing you could  do, you're better off out of the way,second prayer is always helpful, and third what better way to honor a fallen runner than by completing your run - while praying.  I hope he is on the road to recovery and will include him in my prayers too. 

Another successful day in Scouting.  I left my house at 5:15 am, ran the kitchen to feed the volunteers all day, and sat down on my sofa, in my jammies, at 5:15 p.m.  It feels good to sit. 

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,733. Jan 5, 2013 5:12 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Well, I ran outdoors in the cold, although it would have been fairly comfortable if not for the wind. It was 34, but wind chill of about 18 at the start of the 5k (actually 3.3 miles, they said). Not a lot of runners - about 65 or so - but it was their first year and kind of rushed to put the race on. Melody -- it was in Westbrook. I was well layered, and wore winter gloves due to the wind cutting through my running gloves while warming up. Finished very warm, and overall 3rd male, 23:48.

To all treadmill runners:   If your TM workouts seem boring, mix it up. Repeats are a great way to do that. Especially your half-mile repeats. A mile warmup, then three or four 800s with a 400 jog between, and maybe a couple 200s after, then a 1/2 mile cooldown, and you'll be surprised how many miles you tally and how fast the time went by. Or check Active.com treadmill tips - there are plenty of them.

NHLA..... Your card game luck sounds like mine. Nice race, though, especially with the surface conditions.

DebM.....A Scout is...Trustworthy, loyal, helpful.

Coyote.... Your concerns and prayers were enough in this instance. And a great big congrats on your PR smash!!!

Linus.... No offense, but I couldn't do Yoga for an hour -- to me THAT's boring. If I got on the floor to completely relax, that's what I'd soon be doing -- sleeping.  But that's just me. Good 6-miles, though.

Degregorious... Nice to get over colds. And to celebrate with a 12-miler.............priceless.

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,734. Jan 5, 2013 6:06 PM (in response to jmsab23)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

jmsab: grats on the great race!  3rd male is a place I will never be unless there are 4 or fewer runners!  Know what you mean about yoga, and actually thought that until I tried it.  60 minutes goes by incredibly fast and it is a much harder workout than it sounds.  I was sore for most of the week from the two I did last weekend, and I regularly lift, stretch and do core work. A good yoga class can be very intense and rewarding.

debm:  thanks for the words of encouragement.  Think you're right about winter, plus work sucks right now, etc.  Good news is oldest daughter graduated college three weeks ago and starts her first full time job in 8 short days.  I love her dearly but will be glad to see her go!  Great work with the Scouts!

coyote:  AWESOME time, and grats on the blowout PR!  A good start to the New Year.  Good news on the job...hope it works out.  Will be there next week for the QQ...not sure if I will run or just cheer you on.  Talk later this week about meeting before the race either way.

degregorious:  nice work on the 12 miles!  Can't wait to get back there where 12 miles is a regular run myself.

az:  congrats on the being a grand parent!  Hope mom and baby are doing great!

melodylea:  I shiver every time I read one of your posts!  Way to go on pushing through the elements!

tim:  welcome to this great group!  Looks like you are pretty fast for a new runner...keep it up!

francessmom:  met a guy at the gym today here in CO with a North Penn shirt on so yacked it up about Philly.  He is a real runner though and much younger than me but was good to talk about the old stomping grounds!

mkayc:  glad you are feeling better.  Too bad about our Bengals, or should I call them our Bungles?  Maybe next year?  Looks like Reds traded up and finally have a lead off hitter so lots to look forward to in a couple months.

jeffct:  Nice skeleton outfit!  You going to do the plunge, or not?

NHLA:  I am happy to get one sunset per day, and we have some gorgeous ones here in CO.  But three in one day, that is special!

justrundan:  ncie job on the NY 8k!  Brrrrr!

oshcat:  looks like you layered up nicely!  Nice job on the color race, and thanks for the tips for future.

snerb:  good to hear from you and glad your winter regimen is working out.  Best of luck this year!

Run free and strong, friends!

And go Notre Dame!

• JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    4,735. Jan 5, 2013 6:02 PM (in response to jmsab23)

Hey All- Got my 3 miles in. Barely. 3.8 miles with 9:40/mi. Having trouble getting back into the swing. In Dec, I only ran 4 times total distance 41 miles. In Jan, so far Ive run 3 times, total dist. 13 miles. I think I'll look into those TM tips jmsab mentioned. Ive been watching STAR WARS on VHS in the basement, I can probably come up with a better motivator. I am glad I am on the TM, time is so short right now. Wouldnt have had enough time to run today. Supposed to do some man-lifting of wife's friend who's moving. Id like to get a run in to get out of these 3 mile runs. Debm I agree, I am afraid of getting hurt, and it gets dark so early. I am starting to feel some different soreness, lower back, so Im kinda glad to be doing the TM, maybe using some different muscles.

jmsab - I also will give my advice with caution. I agree that changing up your diet may have benefits. My son is on Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free. We went this route AFTER the tests showed he didnt have any sensitivity / allergy. Each diet has improved his health greatly. In his case, Milk-Free showed benefits by end of the week. Gluten-Free was a more gradual improvement noticed at about 3 weeks. I also agree with you on "I wont be back". There is a balance between chasing down every "borderline" bad result and ignoring health problems. Big indicator is that you FEEL good.

What is DM short for? What website?

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    4,736. Jan 5, 2013 7:32 PM (in response to JEFF CT)

Hello running buddies! Hope your 2013 is off to a fabulous start. I've been having a hard time breathing while running outside this week. The temps have been cold and my asthma has been really bad. I know several people who've come down with respiratory infections and I don't feel like I have one, but I did make an appt to see my ENT next week. Hoping he can help because I want to run comfortably. I also ordered one of the neck gators as I'm thinking the cold air going into my lungs might be causing the discomfort. Outside of my crappy, asthmatic lungs , the rest of my body feels great. I ran a free half marathon this morning called the Red Nose Half in Columbus, GA. I've lived in GA for over a decade and had never visited this city, about 2 hours south of Atlanta. The organization of this free race was superb and the route, mostly on paved trails along the Chattahoochee River, was beautiful! I wish I'd run with my camera. I took this run easy mostly because I didn't want to go into an asthma attack but also because there was no medal or t-shirt, so why kill myself? lol. Treated it as a long run, but still took my time, especially in the beginning when I ran almost an 11:00/mile. I ended up finishing at 2:07. I really don't get how that is possible because I felt like I was running slowly. I'll take it though. Felt good to get in my first double digit run since Thanksgiving.

Looks like I'll get a free race entry into the Hot Chocolate 15k next weekend and the following weekend is the Bermuda Challenge--3 races in 3 days = 4 medals! I'm super Geeked about that. I'm also considering signing up for the Mercedes Benz Half in Feb and the Snickers Marathon in March. I saw the medal for the Mercedes Half and think I've been hypnotized by the bling. Haha. It's so pretty!

Congrats to all of you on your runs/races. I need to get back on here more often so I can read the deets. Have an awesome weekend, my friends. Happy Running!

- NRDGirl

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    4,737. Jan 5, 2013 7:39 PM (in response to NRDgirl)

Oh yea, one of my running buddies made me a medal-hanging rack for Christmas. It is quite possibly the most thoughtful gift I've ever received. My phone sucks and takes crappy pics, but the inscription reads: I run in the paths of your commands for you have set my heart free. Psalm 119:32. I cried as soon as I unwrapped it. It's hanging right outside of my bedroom so I smile at it daily. Can't wait to get more medals on it. :-)

057.jpg

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    4,738. Jan 5, 2013 7:54 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Good and Happy New year to all:

I have done several runs recently:  Fairfax 4 miler on New years Eve  --  49:34.  of greater note I passed my son not once, not twice, but three times during the race (he was running/pacing a friend and being a good sport) on one section of the race  (just past the h2O stop) as I passed him for the last time he asked "why are you running so fast?"  gravity was my answer  ( it was steep down hill section). He and his friend proceeded to pass me few meters later and finished a mere 3 min ahead of me.  He was surprised as I actually ran several sections vice my normal walk. 

Today I did 6km in 46 Min.  once again the biggest accomplishment was running an actual mile (jogging really) then alternating walk 500 m / Jog 500 m.  this is of note as these are the first times i have tried to extend running at all since April 2012.  I am almost ready to declare knee healed and work on extending running to include a full 5K running in the next few months.  after the 6 Km run, wife and I walked 3.4km for grand total today of 9.4Km!

weather has been fine - highs in the 40's lows in the upper 20's  I so much like running in the cool weather compared to the summer heat.

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

Jun 12, 2011
    4,739. Jan 6, 2013 1:11 PM (in response to Ogr44)

wired from yesterday and up too late last night = slow getting out the door this morning.  Excited to run outside in the daylight, though.  There was a fresh dusting of snow this morning which was beautiful until I realized that dusting was covering up the ice leftover from last week's snow storm.  After a little slipping and sliding I moved to the street which went quite well.  In spots where the road was narrow, or I was approaching a blind corner, I moved to the sidewalk and walked to keep me out of harm's way.  I did walk quite a bit more walking than I wanted.  I  saw  nice long stretch of clear sidewalk along a particularly narrow section of road, all I had to do was navigate over some ice and snow to get to it.  Hahaha - I  walked slowly over some new snow, hit an icy patch and down on my butt I went.  It was no worse than landing on your bum while ice skating  - probably more embarrassing than anything.  Fortunately, I spent the entire holiday (i.e. eating) season adding more padding to my gluteus maximus, so it was a nice soft landing.    I laughed, got up, and continued on my way.  Despite the slowness of the "run" it was nice to be outside.   Then I stopped at the bakery near my house and got a babka for coffee hour after church.   <sigh> back to the TM for the weekdays in the dark.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...