Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

408 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2013 6:12 AM by mkayc RSS
Urbster Legend 760 posts since
May 27, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 5, 2013 6:01 PM

Running with the Flu....

I got sick on New Years Eve and I finally can run again.  I am still sick but I did 5 miles today.   I kept saying to myself it was an easy run......it wasnt... but I did it.   I had my runs all lined up..hills, tempo. long, easy, intervals.....Now just easy runs are a challenge.  Is anyone else running sick?   There must be someone else out there that cares to share their misery.   Anyone else running sick??

• LeighDS Amateur 21 posts since
    Feb 11, 2012
    1. Jan 7, 2013 6:03 AM (in response to Urbster)
    Running with the Flu....

I guess colds and flus don't hit me too hard as I have only taken one legit sick day off work in the last 5-6 years. **knocks on wood**

However right around end of January and all of February I tend to be my stuffy. This is my biggest issue when I try to run; breathing in enough air. Usually I try to take easy runs but I spend the first mile or so working on a breathing pattern!

But yes many people I know feel "weighted" down during flu spells and it hinders them whether it be running, skiing, lifting, etc. Like you, those are the people that push it when hard times come while most would just roll over and sleep on it. Great job working through it! Just don't over do it!

Finished Races

2010 Tanger Outlet 5K

2011 Tanger Outlet 5K

2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon

2012 Stonyfield Earth Day 5K

2012 Make-A-Wish Big Lake Half Marathon

2012 WOW' fest Trail 10K

2012 Tanger Outlet Fit For a Cure 5K

2012 I Survived The End of the Wolrd 4-Miler

Upcoming Races

TBD

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    2. Jan 7, 2013 6:12 AM (in response to LeighDS)
    Running with the Flu....

If it's in your head, you can run. When it's in your chest, you should stop. This is what I've heard and it bears out. I've been in and out of being sick for months at a time because of allergies and been able to run through most of it except the last month's bout. You may want to expect less from your body and space your runs out more but you should be able to keep going, at least on some level, while on the mend unless you develop breathing problems in your chest. Then you are putting a burden on your heart that is unwise. Good luck!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...