Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2181 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2013 6:09 AM by MegaDan88
PineGroveDave Amateur 7 posts since
Feb 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 15, 2012 9:36 AM

Learning The Hard Way...

Hope y'all don't mind me putting down in words how I came to being here today...

Almost three years ago I was obese and unhealthy. I was on medication for cholesterol and blood pressure and on the "fast track" toward diabetes. My blood test back then bore it out and my doctor told me either I had to change my lifestyle or resign myself to a life of popping pills to control my ailments. I chose lifestyle. I knew what I had to do as I used to bodybuild back in the 80s. I was never a "runner", but we had an old treadmill in the basement collecting dust and I began walking for 30 minutes/day. Through diet and walking, the pounds started coming off and that motivated me to "push" myself further. Before I knew it, I was alternating between a fast walk and a slow jog. At the end of three months I had shed 45lbs and my doctor took me off all meds. My blood test was "spot on perfect"...so much so that my doc asked me for permission to show other patients what can be done in three months with a bit of determination.

It didn't stop there of course. I continued my cardio routines and incorporated weights along with it. Then one day it happened...I was pushing myself on the treadmill and at around 25 minutes with a pace of around 4.8MPH (fast for me at the time), I felt this "rush" come over me and it felt like I could keep on going...so I did. Before long, I was jogging one hour with little or no problem.

Now you see, I'm not a "runner". That being the case, I never bothered to look at shoes, technique, C25K stuff...nothing. I just...ran. Whether outdoors or treadmill, I just "pushed" myself to do better either by increasing the incline, increasing the duration, or increasing my speed (although I'm still not a fast runner). To coin a cliche, I just "did it". I'm not sure how I stumbled across the 2011 Oakland Running Festival website back then, but it intrigued me. Could I actually "run" a half marathon? I was only running at most maybe 5 miles/day back then. How audacious!!! But I signed up for it anyway.

So there I was, some 50 year old guy with no running background that just lost a lot of weight and just began walking/jogging entering into a half marathon!!! LOL! To make matters worse, again, I didn't bother to look into any training regimens other than keep running and trying to go faster/farther...and the marathon was 2 months away. About a week before the half I did my best run at 8 miles. I figured if I could do 8 miles on the treadmill, I "think" I can do 13 miles, ya know?

So there I was on race day...hoping I could do this...and I did. I ran the half in old heavy Reebok Runtones, and I completed my very first race in 2 hours 18 minutes...beating the race average by 2 minutes!! I was pretty proud. So proud in fact that I ignored the unbearable pain in my knees that started at about mile 9. I felt that pain for an entire week thereafter...ugh (thus the title of this thread). But I persevered and now have many high altitude mountain runs under my belt (I live in the mountains), two Tough Mudder challenges and a bit more knowledgeable on proper gear to minimize injury/pain. Maybe one of these days in the near future this "non runner" might even attempt a full marathon...One can dream, can they not? Be well my friends and don't give up...:)

oakland-2.jpg

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    1. Nov 15, 2012 4:35 PM (in response to PineGroveDave)
    Learning The Hard Way...

Very inspiring story! Thank you for sharing!

• CLScalise Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    2. Nov 26, 2012 10:57 AM (in response to PineGroveDave)
    Learning The Hard Way...

You have such an inspirational story! I am a brand-spankin'-new runner, so I am looking for motivation anywhere I can find it! Thank you for sharing your story!

• RunDreamAchieve Amateur 9 posts since
    Dec 29, 2012
    3. Dec 29, 2012 9:41 PM (in response to PineGroveDave)
    Learning The Hard Way...

I love you man. That is a great story and am proud of you too. Your going to do BIG things in 2013. I gurantee it. Keep hustling brother.

www.rundreamachieve.com

coaching services

Personal Bests: 2.19.35

Half-Marathon: 1.07.06

20 Miles: 1.44.05

10 Miles: 50.54

• helloitsanne1 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 2, 2013
    4. Jan 4, 2013 11:28 AM (in response to PineGroveDave)
    Learning The Hard Way...

Well, I'm inspired. 

Determined to lose 100 pounds in a healthy way, thinking long-term. Run/walking 5ks as a part of the process. Follow my progress at The Little Blue Dress.

-

10/27/12 - Celia Hays Elem. Spooktacular 5k - Rockwall, TX - 49:49:93 - my first 5k!

12/1/12 - NFHS Jingle Bell Run 5k - Garland, TX - 45:23:00

2/6/13 - Dash for the Beads 5k - Dallas, TX - 44:34:00 - holy crap, the hills!

3/2/13 - Jones Elem. Jag Jog 5k - Rockwall, TX - 45:27:14 - this was not my day

4/6/13 - The Color Run 5k - Dallas, TX - just for fun

8/3/13 - Melon Dash 5k - McKinney, TX

11/9/13 - Urban Dare - Ft. Worth, TX

• Time_2_Run Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 10, 2012
    5. Jan 7, 2013 9:48 AM (in response to PineGroveDave)
    Learning The Hard Way...

Amazing story!!  Love it!

• MegaDan88 Amateur 26 posts since
    Mar 1, 2013
    6. Mar 2, 2013 6:09 AM (in response to PineGroveDave)
    Learning The Hard Way...

Thanks for sharing the story. Sounds like you just sort of dove in and did it...something not a lot of people can say nor do. However, you risked injury to yourself and

could of risked a DNF (did not finish) in the race or stop running altogether.

Please think about doing the simple task of going to a running store and get fitted for the right shoes

for yourself, and start a reasonable running regiment that works well for yourself.

About 19 years ago I did something similiar, started mainly for health and weight loss,

but had a running partner and a blueprint for running a marathon about 14 months out. And we did it.

Now I started running again for similiar reasons except my goal isn't to run a marathon but to run fast 5k and eventually 10k.

Final thoughts... nothing succeeds like success, yes? I love pushing myself and setting goals and doing things I wasn't able to do previously. I'm sure you probably feel the same way.

I think the beautiful thing about running is that everyone can have their own personal challenge, a goal to meet, could be a distance, or a time, or both. Or to just improve over the last race.

Or to just finish the darn thing. At any rate, I salute you sir and hope your next race is even more rewarding than the last.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep."

Robert Frost

Los Angeles Marathon on March of 1994: 3 hr 28 min 9 sec

Run with Santa 5k on 12/22/12: 25 min 19 sec

Mardi Gras 5k on 02/09/13: 24 min 50 sec

Cirque Du Soleil 5k on 03/16/13: 23 min 33 sec

Douglas Green Memorial 5k on 05/18/13: 22 min 47 sec

4th of July 5k Blast on 07/04/13:???

More Like This