Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

933972 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 309 310 311 312 313 ... 315 Previous Next
  • mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Congratulations to you and your wife on the races!! Great time!!

I was looking at the Wisconsin race but it's the same day as the Flying Pig. I suppose that would be too hard for you guys. It is rather hilly.

Steve, fees are all over the place. There are still some very nice races at reasonable prices but they are more local and trail races. The popular ones with nice medals, shirts and large crowds are priced all over the map. I've made my decisions based upon what I want (schedule fit, short travel, good bling, fast course [in this order]) and the dates I want to run. I did pass on one, though, from sticker shock. There's just so much a person can tolerate. The AF HM is only $15 less than the full and a whopping $75! They had over 5000 register Tuesday, the first day and another 5000 this weekend. If anyone is interested, better jump on it. They are nearing 2/3 full. The White Tail Trail HM I ran 9/29 was $50 and that involved nothing for the organizers but manning two water stops, marking the trail, a tech shirt and a small medal on cotton ribbon for 282 finishers and getting park permission. $14,100.00. There's a reason we have three races a weekend to choose from but it's all good. I still haven't met a runner I didn't like.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009

Mary Kay, I would love to do the Flying Pig, but it would be so expensive with airfare, hotel, fees etc. Maybe someday I will bite the bullet and run it! LOL

If any of you are looking for a challenging, fun Marathon or HM to run in the Winter, I highly recommend the Mississippi Blue Marathon/HM in Jackson Ms. It was an awesome event! This was my first time to run it because I have been shying away from it because of the very, very hilly course and because of all the stories I have heard about how hard it is, especially with an uphill finish! Seriously?? Seriously, an uphill finish and and not a small hill either. But, it was the most fun I have ever had at a race! I loved it and will do it again next year! It is a smaller race with a cap of about 2200 runners. It sold out in November. The swag is great...a tech shirt, a AWESOME and HUGE medal, a beautiful harmonica with the name and date of the event inscribed on it, a great Blues CD, free massages for the runners and all the delicious food you could want to eat for the fee of 65.00! A deal in anyone's book!

As many of you know, I have had alot of problems with calf cramps during the last 3-4 miles of the 13.1 when racing. I also have severe pain in the last two toes on my Rt. foot due to a Morton's Neuroma. I had all but quit running events due to these issues. I had the same issues when I ran as a pacer in my hometown race in November which was also a very hilly run. I went to the Blues with a couple of friends. One of my friends and I decided that we would start out together and then I would go on since I run a little faster than she does. So, we started out together at about a 12:15 mpm pace and had a great time talking and just enjoying the beautiful day for a run. At the start it was 42 degrees, cloudy with no wind and then around an hour into the run, the sun came out and the temps climbed to about 54 degrees and I was running with short sleeves and capri running tights! Wonderful...anyway we were having such a good time running together that we were already at the 9 mile mark before we realized how far into the run we were! I thought about breaking off and trying for a faster time, but I was having fun and to my amazement I had not a single pain....anywhere! My foot felt good and I had not a even had a twinge of a calf cramp. I told my friend that I was just going to stay on with her and we would finish together and we did. We were on the home stretch and about to turn a corner when a volunteer told us..you can do it...the finish line is just around this corner! My friend and I looked at each other and nodded that we were going to do this! When we turned the corner...there was the finish line! About .25 miles straight up a hugh hill! YIKES! We looked at each other and at the same time said, let's go! We ran the entire hill and crossed the finish line at 2:44:12 (my Garmin showed 13.25 mi). This is about 10 min or so slower than I had planned to run this event at the beginning, BUT..I finished without having cramps and without any pain in my toes!!!!! I think maybe my pains are caused from going out to fast (for me). Frankly, it would be worth having a time 5-10 min slower if I can run the events and enjoy them with no pain!

Also, this is my first event in my new AG of 60-64. I came in at 7th place OA out of 22 runners. This is my highest ranking as yet in longer races. Actually, the 1st 3 in my AG won the Female Senior Masters and were moved out of the AG..The next 3 got awards for top 3 in AG which left me right behind them in 4th place. I missed # 3 place award for AG by :34 secs. I am thrilled with this!

I have another HM this weekend on the coast. It is supposed to be 62 degrees at start and a high of 75 degrees during the day. Hopefully, we will be finished before it gets to 70! I am going to run with the same friend (who by the way is 32 years old) and hope that I can run this again with no pain. My quads are still a little sore from all the down hill running, but hopefully all the soreness will be gone by Sunday.

Marie~Good luck at the Goofy!!! I thought it was this past weekend! Can we track you and your daughter?

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

Jun 8, 2011

Mimi, so glad you were able to finish without pain! That is great news!! I would love to have your time!!

I ran 3.35 mi. at 6 am. Wore hat with lights but it was very dark. Could only see directly in front, couldn't even see the sides of the road. Only really ran 2 mi. but when I decided to turn back I was lost. Ended up at the bottom of a one mile incline. Once I was dressed, my nose was still running and I was coughing. This leads to my latest crisis. I have these goals and this memory that I liked running but I really enjoyed having time off and am scared I won't or don't want to train to meet the goals. A bit of this might come from the depression I get when I don't run. Depression lies. Has anyone had experience with overcoming a lack of motivation? 

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

Nov 12, 2009

Mary Kay...please be careful out running in the dark! You could easily trip and fall over something, step in a hole and turn your ankle, or like you did...get lost! I really do not think it is ever a good idea especially for a woman to go running in the dark without a partner or at least in an area where other people are running and you at least recognize most of these people even though you do not know them personally.

I think everyone suffers with training in the winter months especially if you also work full time and have to get your runs in early in the morning or after work when it is dark. Last year at this time I was training for my FM and I really did not have any problems with getting my training in. This was because many runners from my area was training for the same event and we all train in the same park at about the same time each morning. So, I could go out early in the mornings before dawn and know that other runners that I knew would be there running also. This year it has been very difficult to get my early morning runs in. My running buddy quit running in the fall because of a bum knee. Once it got cold and the time changed there was fewer people at the park walking or running and they came later in the morning around 6:30. I needed to be home by 6:30 in order to get a shower and to work on time. Also, no one was training for anything, so less and less people. Also, our city has had a rash of armed robberies of individuals at Wal Mart and different places through the city, leaving me a little to scared to run by myself before daylight so I have been going to the gym and running on the TM on the mornings that I cannot get to the park later. When the time changes...it will be so much better!

As for motivation...after my FM in March, I really did not want to run. I surely did not want to train and my heart was just not in it. I never stopped completely..I still ran, but not as long and not as often as I should have been. I think alot of this had to do with burn out from training for and running the Marathon, having pain from ITB and my Morton's Neuroma and a feeling of why am I doing this whe I seemed to not be getting any faster at all. I think I had Burn out! I gave myself permission to only run 3 x a week and my runs could be any length that I wanted to do. Some of my long runs, I went out for 10 and maybe did 6 and was finished. That was ok at least I got out. Around the end of October, I felt myself getting my motivation and want to back and started running more and signing up for more events. I am now enjoying running again and hating to miss a run. I do not like running on the TM, but as of now, that is my best option for weekday mornings. It is a matter of safety. Once the time changes, I will be back out on the roads and I still do my long run on Saturday outside.

Give yourself a little room and the motivation will come back. We are older and our bodies let us know very quickly when it is tired and wants to rest. I have learned to listen to my body when it speaks to me and we are getting along better!

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

2013 Events:

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Kathy, I'm so glad your injuries are doing better and what an awesome HM! I decided a long time ago that having fun was more important than time. I believe it was after yet another injury.

Mary Kay, ditto what Kathy said....BE CAREFUL running at night. I'm in a rural area in a small neighborhood, so my biggest fear is nocturnal critters, esp those that have a stripe up their back, but I try to avoid dark running if at all possible.

My bib # is 23481 and you can track me on rundisney.com 

http://live.xacte.com/wdw/ alerts/

I figure both the HM and the full will be slow. Plan is to run 1 min walk 2 min for the half and then do a 1:1 for the full.....as long as we can survive. My daughter & I will stay together no matter what. I feel I'm better trained as she missed just about the entire month of Dec training, but she is 28 years younger than I am and we all know about THAT difference. LOL. Given there are over 50,000 participants, I don't think we have to worry about being last, but if we are, as long as we cross before cut off, I'll be happy.

We leave tomorrow to drive down and will stay several days to enjoy the parks after the races. It will just me her, me and the two grandkids making the trip. Hubby decided to stay home w/ the dog and her hubby has to work. 

Oh gosh.....it is only 3 days....I think I'm gonna be sick. What have I gotten myself into.  OK Marie, take a deep breath! You will be fine. Prayers will be much appreciated!!!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Marie- have an absolute blast with your daughter and grandchildren this weekend.  Will be praying for you both for the races-safety and a great fun time! 

Mimi- sounds like a great HM!  So good you could both finish without pain and enjoy the run so much.  You have a very busy schedule the next few months, so that sounds like a plan that will help you through that.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

Marie~You have trained well for Goofy and you are ready!  Enjoy every step (and there will be a lot of them!) and all the memories you will share with your daughter.  Please know all of your Mighty Masters friends will be cheering you on in spirit this weekend!  I will be humming selections from "The Little Mermaid" during my long run this Sunday, I'm sure.  Tell me you have reserved time for a post-race(s) massage before you start hitting the parks with the grandkids!!!  Travel safe and RUN STRONG!  Sent you an IM.

Nov 12, 2009

Marie~ I cannot tell you how proud I am of you and your daughter doing the Goofy Challenge! I can assure you that you will not be last! Enjoy the exeperience and Disney World!

I will be running the Disney Princess HM with a couple of friends next month and we do not care what our time is! If we are last...then so be it. We plan on stopping to take pictures with characters along the way and just enjoy the entire experience.

I have come to the conclusion that I had rather run a little slower and enjoy the ride, not be injured and be able to run again the next week than to have a great time, in pain, injured for months afterward and not even be able to walk! Age and wisdom I think!

I have signed up for Alerts! Thanks for the info. It will be neat to get updates on your Marathon while I am running my HM on Sunday! Good Luck and please enjoy!~!!!

Dan ~ Thanks

Hello Deb and everyone else! You all rock!

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

2013 Events:

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

Nov 12, 2009

Marie! Success!!! I am all set up to get text message tracking of your Goofy Challenge Weekend!!!!!! 

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

2013 Events:

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

• WDWRich Amateur 17 posts since
    Feb 1, 2012

Marie - Good luck at Disney.  I'm sure you'll do well and have a great time!  My daughter and her husband are there for the races too.  She's running the full and he is running the HM.  I'll be joining them for the Disneyland HM in September.

For those running in the early morning (or evening) when it's dark- please be careful!  Having a law enforcement background, I'm always concerned when women run alone in the dark.  When I do it, I take my dog (a black lab who loves running). He wears a light-up LED collar and I wear a similar armband.  If you can, please carry a phone, and something you can use for self-defense. As best you can while running, be aware of your surroundings (situational awareness).  As far as I'm concerned, longer days can't get here soon enough.

Cheers,

Rich

08/19/2012 AFC 5K 28:29

09/01/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08

11/22/2012 Thank you 10K 58:17

01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17

03/10/2013 San Diego HM (registered)

09/01/2013 Disneyland HM (registered)

Jun 8, 2011

Marie!! Rock those costumes and enjoy every minute while you kill those races!! Have the best. trip. ever! Can't wait to hear!!

Kathy, what great wisdom and attitude!! I have my eye on an age group award the Air Force gives out but as soon as I get my pace up to 10 min., I will relax.

Rich and Kathy, as for running in the dark, I am listening. I always have my phone and am choosy about the neighborhoods where I run. Actually I will be sticking to the gym for a while because of the weather and my cold. The only problem with that is pace control but I'm thinking of dedicating the next four months to Heart Rate training within my maximum aerobic function (ala Maffetone, Hadd), which is going to require a slow or controlled pace. Anyone have any experience with this type of training? Anyway, I'll just keep running for the moment and I'm hoping the motivation will return.

Run Strong and Enjoy!!

Mary Kay

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

Mimi~Congratulations on the Mississippi Blues HM!  I LOVED reading your race report, and WTG1 on running the big hill at the finish!  It's great that you were able to run pain free, and I'm so sorry the MN is still doggin' you.  Like you, I really enjoy running with my "young" friends.  Have a wonderful run at the Gulf Coast HM this weekend.

You have become a HM running machine! 

Rich~Thanks for the reminder about staying safe and vigilant as we run in less than ideal conditions and areas.  Three months ago there were a few women runners that were assaulted in the early morning hours on a very popular bike path. Thankfully the creep was apprehended, charged and sentenced, but the threat is always out there.

MaryKay~If memory serves, there was a discussion about heart rate training late summer on this thread.  I don't recall who was using it for training (Dan?).  It may be the wise choice going forward.  You have been through a lot this past year and continue to fight off viruses.  I know it is scary to stop and not run when you are injured, sick, ect.  The voice in my head tells me, "If you stop now, you're done...it'll be too difficult to come back...you've built up to XX weekly miles." You need to get well, and that means rest!

My family and I traveled to our favorite state park to get in some snowshowing and X-country skiing.  Well.....not enough snow to do either!  So we hiked the trails instead getting in about 25 miles over 3 days.  I'm taking this week as a rest week from running before I begin HM training next week.  Still getting in strength training, walking and stretching. 

Run strong friends!

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

Hi everyone~

Been in AZ enjoying the grandbabies.

Hubby flew back to MN last Sat; I found a trail race for Sunday morning and registered the last minute.

My last run was on Thursday when I ran 9 miles in the snow in northern AZ which was a week after my double run, and the days in between was waiting for daughter to give birth, with a couple of false alarms, waiting at the hospital, no energy to run ........... So decided to treat this race as a training run .........

The 20K (about 12.5 miles) is part of the Xterra AZ Trail Run Series, started at 8 am, never ran this particular trail before. There were two races:  8K and 20K.

OMGoodness!!  After the first two miles, we had to climb, literally, CLIMB by walking, run a few minutes, walk, etc for almost 5 miles!!!!  All switchbacks, single track, very rocky and dirt packed with sand arroyas here and there at the bottom.  But when I made it to the top, I decided to pace a couple of guys till 10 miles when they got slower and slower, it was over 2 hours by then, had to tell myself it was a training run so don't get discouraged, had water at aid station and picked up pace till finish line. It was one of the toughest trail race I have run so far. 

Thought I placed so waited with a couple of friends who came out to see me run .......... rather, finish!

Name wasn't called so we ate and went home.

Waited a couple of days to check results.  I did place 3rd in my age group after all!!  official time:  2:29.  32nd out of about 162 runners.  The announcer gave 'my medal' (beverage glass) to another runner, guess I should contact the event organizer.

Muscles still recovering but the race was awesome!!  Will run it again ........... will train better ............... no complaints; new grandbaby was worth it!! grand babies and mommy doing well!!

Trail runner

Jun 8, 2011

Deb, "Still getting in strength training, walking and stretching." I'd say!! 25 mi. in a weekend is Beasting it!

I thought there were two men on here trying to build base with low HR training but couldn't remember who. I am still taking in info but am probably going to embrace maximum aerobic HR training because so many folks mentioned that my latest symptoms sounded like overtraining. I'm still not convinced doing this won't make me lose all the speed I've worked so hard to gain but theory is you get faster once your body adjusts so I'm taking the next three to four months to find out. Also, this should make more frequent runs less likely to injure me and I'd like to be running 5x a week. Having trouble bc of age, etc. figuring my max aerobic HR. Anyone have any idea what it feels like when you reach that and/or how it feels different to work at an anaerobic rate? Am still such a newbie!!

So, will be very proudly posting some runs with very slow pace. Three runs this week, total 11.5. so far. Planning two more. Yesterday and today were attempts to stay under 126 and 121 HR. Paces of 12:43 and 15 mm first on TM and then at HS track. Fudging. My max aero. HR is somewhere between 111 and 121 but 111 means walking and that's 17 mm, just not my idea of work. 121 required walk/run. That was hard enough. Funny how when I'm trying to slow down, I have no trouble breathing and wanting to go harder but when I'm trying to push, I want to back off. I wonder how much is still just mental dust balls. My best race pace for HMs is above 12:43 but running under 126 HR felt torturously slow, like running backwards, while I was doing it and ended up being a faster pace than I normally run. Of course, no hills. Maybe a glitch. Anyway, breathing was no problem despite still hacking and blowing. I felt like I could do so much more after these runs. Joints are shouting, though, and I'm hoping its just adjustment. Ice bath in winter is pure hell !!!!!!! But, I could barely walk the stair to the apt. after Thurs at the gym then ice bath, then I was numb all night and 90% of all the pain was gone the next morning. It is amazing how that works.

Az has probably been too busy to post but her DH had a heart attack. He's home in MN and she's there with him but my prayers for them.

Run strong, all!!

Mary Kay

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,664. Jan 12, 2013 11:19 AM (in response to mkayc)
    50 and over, 5k and beyond - what are your challenges?

HI everyone, thanks Mkayc for letting others know of recent event re: hubby's heart attack.  I thought I posted it on this thread as well but it didn't go through.

But yes, Monday morning, hubby called, very calm and asking how grandbabies are doing, am I sore from my race day before?, etc....... then, "everything is ok," I'm ok now," ......... I took a deep breath, then he says, "I had a heart attack this morning, but made it to the hospital in time (he drove himself)" ............ I'm stunned ........... I will take next flight I said but he told me to "take your scheduled flight on Thursday, nothing you can do here except waiting around, I'm being taken care of in hospital, take care of grandbabies and daughter" ........... we are both health care providers and have often discussed how freaked out/irrational/dramatic many people become and we tend to stay calm, assess the situation, etc. in crisis situations .............. so I waited, anxiously, till Thursday, we talked a couple times a day, prognosis is good.  He spent most of the time in self-reflectiions obviously; he's only 50 yrs old!  He knows that both sides of his families are at high risks for heart problems, have had heart surgeries, died from heart attacks, do not have acitve lifestyles, crappy diets, etc.  and he was hiking, swimming, healthier diet until we moved to MN ............. he went to the athletic club a few times from the beginning but the hours are inflexible, young kids and families take over the swimming pool, etc. and  he just stopped going. 

Anyway, he knows he has to re-commit and maintain a healthier lifestyle from now on.  

He felt really bad for not staying with his exercise regime but it's never too late to start!

I got home Thursday, LONGEST HUG ever!!

Haven't run since Sunday's trail race but I will be trying out health club for women this afternoon, and maybe I should seriously consider a TM, ugh!!!

We both can utilize it.

All is well now.

Trail runner

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...