Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

677383 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 315 316 317 318 319 ... 327 Previous Next
  • NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,740. Jan 6, 2013 1:26 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

12.56 miles 2 hr 7 min. Carl Sanburg home then lake and back. Nice day.

deb nice landing.

org great knee news

nrdgirl what a thoughful gift.

OC congrats on your new job. Don't outrun the bosses son   yet.

Bad things can happen. I was running in a race and we found a dead woman hanging from a tree. The race started eary so no one had found her. I will never forget the silence when 2000 runners gasp as we ran by. They though it was suicide but were not sure.

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,741. Jan 6, 2013 2:01 PM (in response to NHLA)

No Runs for me since Thur.  Work Friday followed by Yoga at the Y.  Sat, we spent the day packing away decorations from Christmas.  I must have climbed up and down steps 30 times carrying various heavy boxes.  Then we decided to rearrange living room. Definite cross-training! My back is sore.  Today is anniverary of my dad's passing 39 yrs ago - I was 8 when he died.  So my mom orgainized a trip for her 7 kids and all her grandchildren to the Franklin Institute, a huge science museum in Philly.  We went to see the Titanic Exhibit.  As you enter the exhibit, you receive a card with the name and description of a real passenger.  At the exit you find out if your passenger survived.  As we exited, my mom found out her woman had survived, but her husband had perished. It was very sureal and sobering. 

Too many posts to repond to right now.  Most of you are running more than me, I am jealous.

I will follow you all wherever you decide to post. 

Keep safe and warm!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,742. Jan 6, 2013 2:43 PM (in response to Francessmom)

nrdgirl:  nice collection of medals!  Were they all from last year?

francessmom:  good that you could all be together with your mom today.  my wife and i are very fortunate to still have all of our parents living but they are now in their 70's so probably won't be long.

debm:  ouch...but way to laugh it off.  After all if we can't laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at?

Met up with my neighbor who is 57 but has been running for over 30 years.  He is about a minute/mile faster than me so was curious if I could hold up.  Ran 2 miles to the HS track, with a break to do some form drills and strides.  At the "oval" we did 4x300M repeats at 7:30 pace.  Then 2 miles back home at 9:30 pace with 2 short walk breaks.  I succeeded in keeping up although I was breathing harder than him at most points.  Was good for me to actually to do a mixed up run like this and not just out and log miles. 

We are both going to meet coyote next week at the Quicker Quaker so they can both show me up.  Also committed to doing more training together so will be good to have a running partner...especially one who is a little faster to push me harder.

Off to Puerto Rico tomorrow so hope to get in some runs along the Caribbean.  Have a good running week, all!

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,743. Jan 6, 2013 3:30 PM (in response to linuscatch)

I ran a strong 10 miles on a beautiful Berkshire's morning today. The temp was a "balmy" 20 degrees. My trusty pup and I jogged up and down rolling snow-covered hills past red barns and farm critters. I'm a happy camper today.

justrundan Nice TD work. I hope you do get outside this week!

JEFF CT You know we are both going to be at the  Memorial Day Marathon? I'll be running the 10K and raising money for animal charity. My 5th "Run For The Critters" We should try to meet and at least *high five*!

Debm2011 I understand about the ice. If I had to run in the dark, I would probably find a treadmill, for sure! Thanks for all your do with the Scouts, by the way. After reading your next post I realized the big difference between running in my rural area and you running in suburbia....there are NO sidewalks here and all quiet one-lane roads. If I had to do sidewalks, I know things would be SO different. The road crews keep the roads nice...sidewalks not so much!

jmsab23 Great race!! My old stomping grounds. That is a super time, too. **High Fives**

NHLA What a a crazy course! Maybe ice skates would have been better. Holly Crap re: your woman hanging story...wow!

degregorius Bummer about the cold. Dang. 12 miles...theres a recovery for ya!

linuscatch The run with your neighbor sounds cool. I hope I'm running that strong at 57! Actually my life goal is to still be running into my 80s.

Old Coyote I'm so sorry about the fellow runner, but I echo what others have said...you did the right thing finishing your race strong and praying for him.

NRDgirl You are SUCH an inspiration for me! I love the medals holder your friend made. By the way (just my thoughts on this) but if I run in the cold without covering my mouth I start to have Asthma related symptoms. I used to get terrible seasonal bronchitis, even broke a rib coughing once, until I learned to cover my mouth with a Balaclava. Now, I have a very thin and soft wool Balaclava that I can pull loosely over my mouth if I need to. It just warms the air up a bit before it hits my lungs. My two cents.

Ogr44 I'm so excited to hear that the knee is healed!! Yay you.

Francessmom Wow, the Titanic Exhibit sound amazing. What a wise mom you have.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,744. Jan 6, 2013 4:17 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

NHLA - The boss's son has about 20 years on me. I don't think I'm showing him up. Unless we do hills...

NRDGirl - Nice medal rack!

Linus - Puerto Rico in January? I'm jealous. Running with faster runners can be a good way to get faster yourself.

Melodylea - Sounds like a divine run.

Francessmom - We took my daughter to see the Titanic exhibit when it was in Denver. Her ticket was for Mrs. Margaret (Molly) Brown, and mine was for a trombone player in the ship's orchestra, so we both knew immediately whether we survived. Oddly, I played trombone for years, and the Brown summer residence is about 10 minutes from my house.

I was beat this morning, but I still wanted to run, as I rested most of the week. It was 7 degrees outside, but knowing that sometimes we get a temperature , inversion over the valley I checked other local weather stations, and found out that 1 mile away it was 27! So I drove to South Table Mountain for an easy run. I really didn't want to climb hills today, but decided that was better than the cold. 5.4 miles, 55 minutes. The air was sparkling clear; I could see all the way to the horizon in all directions. Then church, lunch at the pastor's house (where I found out his wife went to high school with my sister), groceries, and finally sat down at 5. I might as well have been working today, except it was fun tired instead of drudgery tired.

Run Free!

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    4,745. Jan 6, 2013 9:45 PM (in response to Old Coyote)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Thanks guys. Don't you just love how thoughtful people in our community are? I think about you all on this board, my running club and the folks that work or shop at my local running stores. Everyone is so considerate, encouraging, motivating. I just love being a part of this community.

Linus: The medals are not all from 2012, but all with the exception of 1 were earned between Oct 2011 and Nov 2012, so about a year's span.

Melody: Thanks so much for your kind words and the advice on breathing in colder temps. I really do think taking those whiffs of cold air is what's causing my asthma problems. I tested this out on my half yesterday by covering my mouth and nose with the collar of my jacket. It wasn't comfortable enough to do the whole time, but it made it a lot easier to run those first few miles without needing a puff of the inhaler. The neck gator I recently ordered pulls up over the mouth and nose, so I'm excited about giving that a try.

Old Coyote: Funny how it was 9 degrees right outside your door but a whopping 27 degrees--yes, I'm being sarcastic--just a mile down the road! I'm so glad you looked into that. Just thinking about running in 9 degrees makes my bones hurt. Great job on getting in a good run. Sounds like you had a productive day too.

No running for me today. The bottom of my right foot is hurting and my muscles are pretty sore from Saturday's half, which is to be expected since I hadn't run double digits in about a month. I actually just realized that my last double digit run wasn't Thanksgiving, it was that unofficial half marathon I did in early Dec. Funny, I remember when I was so nervous about running my first half. So scared, in fact, that I chickened out on going for one in 2010. Yesterday made my 7th since Oct 2011. Pretty cool.

Have a great week, guys. Happy running!

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

• JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    4,746. Jan 6, 2013 10:59 PM (in response to NRDgirl)

Hey All - Clocked another 4.45m on the TM today, paced at 9:38, slightly faster for me. I didnt read through the TM tips yet, but was thinking about them as I bumped the incline up and down and the speed up and down. I have a somewhat older TM, so I dont let it do the auto-hills, maybe its me, but it always drops from under me as Im daydreaming. I miss running outside. I was thinking about my trail as I bumped the buttons on the TM. So hard to replicate a downhill, or scenery.. however, its so nice and warm! and no falling on my butt Deb!

I received (in yesterdays mail) a 2011-2012 map of a local trail in CT. Its part of what I run, but damn! I could run from MA to the Long Island Sound on trails in CT! I know Im lucky, but I really do appreciate it. FYI, that run looks like it would be about 60 miles. I was thinking how cool it would be to do on a day off in the long future and call my wife to pick me up an hour away. (by car!)

For the first week in Jan, Ive run 6.2 on 1, 3.25 on 4, 3.8 on 5, 4.45 on 6, brings my RUNNING TOTAL (get it?) to 17.5. Last Jan I hit 11 miles all month. So psyched!

jsm - yeah, Im still in for the Polar Plunge. SOCT.org group name OMGWTF! I thought Id be able to wrangle some more into my group, but apparently this is a pretty stupid idea I am going to skill the skeleton for this one, heard a story about someone drowning in a mini-tri and dont want to be the drowning skeleton.

Melody - yes, we should definately meet up to high 5~! Im signed up for the 26.2 - Ive never done one. I did 13.1 one time in Dec and my time was 2:19. Im hoping to come in under 5:30 for the full. Id be psyched under 5hrs.

NRD- Ill reiterate OC, Nice Rack! (Im so damn corney) It really is beautiful. The rack, and the medals were a big inspiration to me when I saw them at my 5K in October. I said on the spot "Next year, Im getting a medal" The rack they were selling at the race was plastic, and frankly - cheap-looking, but they were asking $50 for it! WTF! Yours is so great, I love homemade stuff. For Christmas, got a nice homemade Porteugese Pork Rub, HM Chai Tea mix, HM tea mix, HM strawberry jelly, HM peanut butter, Love it. Oh, and I checked out that Mercedes Benz medal. NICE! http://media.al.com/spotnews/photo/9270867-large.jpg

PLAN - Run at least 40 miles every month in 2013. PLAN - Run for 5 miles on next run, get back into this! PLAN - start training for the Marathon, Memorial Day is closing in fast! Ohhh Spring, I cant wait to run in Spring.

And (if youve read this far) you are all great. I agree with NRD and Melody and everyone on this. Running has great comraderie (sp?) - I met up with an old work friend on my First Race 10K this week. She said she thought she saw her boyfriend in last, but everyone is always supportive of every runner. I also read on one of the RW articles how it is really good to support the running community. I pay for subscriptions to land trusts, I join trail memberships, etc. I still havent volunteered for a race yet. I would like to set some time out in 2013 to give back. - Id rather be running, but I think that will be good for me too. -

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

• LeighDS Amateur 21 posts since
    Feb 11, 2012
    4,747. Jan 7, 2013 5:58 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ran a 5 miler on Saturday morning. Sub zero temps are one thing I hate! Not impressed with my time and my hamstrings felt tight! A few days off lifting in pace of running and will try a 3 or 4 miler tomorrow morning. Once cool thing was because it was dark when I ran (6:00 am) it started to flurry and with my little headlamp on, it made the snow look like I was running in space with stars flying by me!

Finished Races

2010 Tanger Outlet 5K

2011 Tanger Outlet 5K

2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon

2012 Stonyfield Earth Day 5K

2012 Make-A-Wish Big Lake Half Marathon

2012 WOW' fest Trail 10K

2012 Tanger Outlet Fit For a Cure 5K

2012 I Survived The End of the Wolrd 4-Miler

Upcoming Races

TBD

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    4,748. Jan 7, 2013 8:20 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Greetings All!!

I tested my theory yesterday that P90X Lean is serving as an equal supplement to running during the winter months.  A slow but surprising very comfortable 6.25 miles in 1:01, a 9:45 pace.  I'm happy with that considering that I haven't run in over a month.  Running in and on loose snow slowed me down from my typical pace and was a little painful for my knees but a couple Advil fixed that.  Felt great though and the weather was good, 27 degrees when I left.

OC: It's amazing how fast the weekends go by.  Sometime we have to come back to work to take a break and rest. 

Linus: a 7:30 pace is hauling the mail, good work.

Melody: nice 10.  I used to run with my Black Lab, those were good days.  In her later years I'd walk her to a local high school's track with me, she's lay in the shaded cool grass while I ran laps, then we'd walk home.  I think she looked forward to me running at the track more I did.    RIP Jesser-Dog.  On a different topic, Loving this primal diet.  Feeling incredible and down to the jean size that I used to wear in high school, 32x34.

Cheers All!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,749. Jan 7, 2013 7:53 AM (in response to LeighDS)

I usually run on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, but I skipped yesterday.  Wanted to do a short run today so... Inspired by OC to do hills.  Ran 2.39 in 20 min.  These are some steep hills.  I am very happy with my pace of 8:22. The weather was perfect - low 40'3, sunny and lite winds. I am hoping to get longer run in tomorrow. 

I don't know why my font size got sooo BIG!  Then so small!

I have my medals tucked away in a drawer. But I have 2 trophies on display in my living room.  NRD - I love the ribbon hanger especially the quote.  What a thoughtful friend!

Jeff - Are you planning to run 60 miles in one day?  You are crazy!  When is the Polar bear Plunge?  Is it ocean, lake or river? I volunteered for a couple races at packet pick-up.  It was only 2 hour committment and you get to meet some really great people with amazing stories. Plus a cool shirt!

Melody - Awesome run! We got a inch of snow yesterday but it has melted already.  But the temps are perfect for running.  So I can't complain.

LeighDS - I love running in snow as long as the footing isn't too tricky.  Your run sounds beautiful!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• LeighDS Amateur 21 posts since
    Feb 11, 2012
    4,750. Jan 7, 2013 10:01 AM (in response to Francessmom)

Francessmom - The roads had been cleared and [mostly] cleared of all ice and snow so I was running on straight asphalt. I do love running in the snow as well, its when there is only a little, compacted layer of snow and ice that I worry about footing becomign an issue!

Finished Races

2010 Tanger Outlet 5K

2011 Tanger Outlet 5K

2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon

2012 Stonyfield Earth Day 5K

2012 Make-A-Wish Big Lake Half Marathon

2012 WOW' fest Trail 10K

2012 Tanger Outlet Fit For a Cure 5K

2012 I Survived The End of the Wolrd 4-Miler

Upcoming Races

TBD

• PaulaMediaStudent Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 7, 2013
    4,751. Jan 7, 2013 1:40 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

As a complete beginner to running I'm totally in awe of this! I hope to one day come close to this accomplishment!

Well done!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Tried posting three time but getting throttle message again. I'd like to throttle something. 

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Aug 6, 2012

Hey All, hit the TM for another 5.24 today. Met my goal of 5m. Almost kicked the Holidays out of my system. I had added 5 lbs in 2 wks, 3 of it is gone again. Pace was decent, 9:31. Was pushing myself, and then resting.

Leigh -love the description of running in space/snow.

Snerb- glad the P90X has kept your running up. A friend I met this week said she has been doing a lot of core, and has been able to take 1min/mile off her time! Weird thing is she says she only runs when theres a race. Also, I have heard a couple people (including Melody) talk about the Primal or Paleo Diet. Here is a decent article on it for anyone whos interested. http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/headline_health/Primal_Diet_ancestors/2012/12/16/490239.html

Fmom- the plunge will be at a lake. Really hoping the wife brings the kids to this event.

Paula - welcome new runner! Most of us started with some walks, and some slower jogs mixed in. This is a great site for inspiration.

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

Aug 6, 2012
    4,754. Jan 7, 2013 4:42 PM (in response to mkayc)

MKC -  Logging into Active / throttle.

It wont be easy, but it will be worth it

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...