Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

462 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2013 5:58 AM by squilky RSS
squilky Pro 91 posts since
Jul 18, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 8, 2013 8:33 AM

Baseline fitness standard for adults

So last night on the Biggest Loser and again this morning on the Today show, they made reference to a baseline fitness level test for children based on their age. It used things like the mile run, number of situps/pushups in a minute and some flexibility tests to access how fit/unfit a child was. I was curious if there was a similar baseline for adults. Mens Health did something like this a few years back, and the numbers seemed a bit unrealistic. Or maybe I was just really out of shape back then hehe. So Im curious if there is any sort of standard that says a 40 year old adult male should be able to run a mile in under a certain time. And do a certain number of pushups in a minute. 

MK

Couch to 5k completed: 7/15/2011

USPTO 5K 10/16/2011; 29:14 110/238

Bull Run Festival of Lights 5K 12/31/2011; 31:30 324/683

Primal Mud Run 4/14/2012; 1:29:29

Cody's Crew 5k 9/16/2012 31:15

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 8, 2013 1:47 PM (in response to squilky)
    Baseline fitness standard for adults

There's the "President's Challenge" Adult Fitness Test.  You'll need to enter data into a web site to see what percentile you're in and those results won't be compared to the "average", but to people who were working out at YMCAs (at least initially).  Your result should be compared to your age group.  I think this is probably as close as you're going to get to what you want.

Ray

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points