Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

638644 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 317 318 319 320 321 ... 327 Previous Next
  • JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,770. Jan 9, 2013 5:13 PM (in response to jmsab23)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Hey All - Got in my 5.67m on the TM today. Not nearly as impressive as jmsab doing 7 in the cold, but I got 'er done with 9:31 miles. I realized today that Im doing my race speed on the TM. My plan was to go for distance, but I keep pushing myself for speed. So be it. Im feeling different core muscles coming into play, and that is nice. degreg hope that knee is feeling better after your 12 miler.

If I have this figured out right, I should get 3 medals (I dont have any yet) in 2013, plus a couple t-shirts and some volunteering time in. mkc glad you liked my joke. They are usually corney, but I try. Speaking of which, jmsab, I like your idea of dressing as an anchor. I ran the idea of the Skeleton suit past my wife today and she goes, "but then I wont get to see your face". Sadistic little one isnt she? Oh. And jmsab you want to start with chicken jokes? I think about chickens every day! I have 24 (was 31) free-range egg layers at my house.

Why did the chicken cross the road?? - To prove to the possum that it could be done.

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,771. Jan 9, 2013 8:03 PM (in response to JEFF CT)

So many posts in just a few days!  So I[m only touching on a few  . . . .

NHLA - thanks for the article.  Agreed re:  focus. I can actually run faster on the TM - if I don't stay focused I'll fall right off the back. 

Francesmom- hugs!  I'm praying for only good news on DD's leg.

jmsab - good news on your wife's surgery!

Monday - rest day

Tuesday - 3.1 on the TM at the Y - progressively built up  my speed from 5.1 to 5.7 mph and then progressively dropped it back down again.  What gets me through is saying to myself "just one more minute" every time the timer ticks another minute off.  Why does a mile on the TM take so much longer than a mile on road, even though I running at a faster pace on the TM? 

Today was a planned trip to the Y for cycling/weightlifting.  alarm went off - I hit snooze.  Then I fell prey to the feline exercise saboteuse.  Somewhere between alarm rings, my kitty curled up under my chin and starting purring. It was all over at that point.  I just stayed cuddled up next to kitty for a while and enjoyed the purring. 

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,772. Jan 10, 2013 6:53 AM (in response to Debm2011)

Tuesday I ran a great little 4 miles on snowy country roads. I had a slow-sluggish start because I was a little sore from my 10 mile run on Sunday. But warmed up quickly and finished strong. It was a beautiful, sunny morning with temps reasonable at 19ish degrees.

Wednesday I ran in the afternoon (which is different for me). Again, (as I often seem to do on afternoon runs) I didn't get the whole fueling thing down. I always worry about what I eat earlier in the day to stave off stomach upset, but then I end up eating too little. So, my 4 miles sort of fizzled a bit toward the end. But, we "got 'er done!"

jmsab23 Awe...Back Cove, the memories I hold for that magical place!! Enjoy. CONGRATS to the wife! So happy for her and speedy recovery.

Debm2011 "Kitty Cuddles" Uh-huh, I hear ya. Just remember what kitty purrs do to your blood presure...keeping it low low low.

I got too far behind to touch base with you all...so, **High Fives** to you hard working runners, "keep at it" for all who are in a slump, and speedy recovery to those of you injured or under the weather!

So, ARE we moving to a new site?? Where shall we go?? I'm ready...let's do it! 

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,773. Jan 10, 2013 9:21 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

JM, so glad to hear your wife's great news!!

All, your runs sound great! Glad you're enjoying them!! Deb, I did the same thing this morning - without the cat. I'll get to the gym tonight.

I am trying many of your suggestions. Checked in on some newbie threads to cheer them on and read about training at maximum aerobic heart rate (a la Maffetone and Hadd). Has anyone tried this and if you have, how long did you do it? I'm thinking of trying it for the next four months since my symptoms sound like overtraining stress.

Keep up the good work, all!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,774. Jan 10, 2013 10:51 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7.05 miles 61 min. 29 out 32 back. I lost three min. running back in the dark without headlight.

I don't use a heart monitor but I try to get HR up to 160 on TM. When you race your HR gradually climbs so you need to get used to it.

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,775. Jan 10, 2013 11:33 AM (in response to NHLA)

Today I did 4.73 miles in 42 minutes (pace of 8:53), ran in the door leashed up dogs and walked them 2 miles in 30 minutes.  It was a nice way to cool down, and made the puppies very happy!  We are experiencing a bit of a heat wave here.  Today near 50  and maybe 60 by Sunday!  My son got a new sled for Christmas - I hope he gets to use it!  Thanks for well wishes regarding my DD.  Appt with ortho went okay.  Xray showed 2-3 cm osteochondroma on left medial, distal femur. ( It looks like a rhino horn!) She has MRI tomorrow with f/u with ortho on Wednesday.  Trying to stay postive, and take each day as it comes.  Internet sites terrified me so I am avoiding further research until we have definite answers.  Tha fact that she has had no pain is a big positive. BTW - I hate insurance companies!

jmsab - Great news regarding your wife!  Is she a runner too? Don't forhget to take care of yourself while taking care of her!

Jeff - We are seriously considering getting chickens.  I would love to have fresh eggs everyday.  Do you have a variety or all the same kind?  My brother has over 30, all different kinds. He gives us eggs that are all shade of pastels and browns.

Melody - If I don't run before lunch, I have trouble with fueling too.  I guess my breakfast routine is pretty strict.  Lunch can be anything and usually includes leftovers which can cause issues with my running in afternoon.  I am sooo glad most races are in the morning!

Deb - Instead of stopping to smell the roses, you were stopping to feel the purring!  Everyone needs a rest day!

Tomorrow is Friday - Yeah! 

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,776. Jan 10, 2013 5:37 PM (in response to Francessmom)

Good runs all! 

MelodyLea - nice work getting 'er done. 

Francesmom -  fingers crossed - and no, don't read on the internet - not until you have something definite from the Dr. and can weed out the irrelevant information.

3.1 on the Treadmill at the Y today.  Between .75 and 1.5 miles all I wanted to do was go home but I pushed through ("just one more minute")  It's pretty warm here lately so I might just hit the road tomorrow - the ice should be mostly gone by now. 

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,777. Jan 10, 2013 6:29 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

After snowshoeing outside for 30 min.s in the mild temps but strong winds, I decided NOT to attempt an outdoor run. There were trees down in the area with winds about 35 mph (gusts). Did some core XRs and hit the stationary bike for 30 mins. My bike meter screen isn't working, so I used my watch and checked the meter when I was done --  13.4 miles. I thought I'd make 15, but I didn't.

Got the OK from the local Rec Club last night to start the C25K program this spring. I'll be under their insurance and will have access to a school gym in inclement weather. I can also use their web site and coordinate registrations with their spring youth sports signups. Now to get people interested.

Treadmill haters.... Has anyone tried one of those virtual run screens where you run the route showing on the TM screen? I haven't, but it would seem to take some of the boredom away for those who dislike TMs.

Mkay..... When I do my speed workouts on the TM, my HR is around 150, and I've run 1/2 miles at the 10 mph speed, so those are for 3:00 at a time.

Francessmom... Wife was running until 2011 when her hip problem began. We'll see if she wants to get back into it this summer.

NHLA.... I hope your run was at least on a road and not a trail, if you finished in the dark!!!

Everyone have nice days.

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,778. Jan 10, 2013 7:19 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

8.56 miles 1 hr 21 min. Perfect day. 65 in jan!

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,779. Jan 10, 2013 9:50 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Wow. I've been taking it easy this week and had a lot of posts to read.

MaryK - "restricted content" is most likely a bland and innocent word you have used that also happens to be a top "spam" subject. I got that when I described the time of day I ran, a synonym for dawn or dusk, that is the name of a series of "teen romantic vampire fiction", IYKWIM.

I had a great group run tonight up Lookout Mountain Trail to the Boettcher Mansion. It's a 3.25 mile climb with 1350' elevation gain. I made the up and back in 1:14, not counting the time I spent at the top looking at the lights of Denver. It was 30-35 degrees, and just beautiful.  Then down, and to dinner at a place called Toned Bones, catering to "active lifestyle" people. Healthy food. Like a ground buffalo and uncured bacon cheeseburger, and a bowl of green chile. They had vegetarian options, too, but buffalo's a good, lean option. The healthiest part of the meal was the portion size; I usually end up with 2 meals worth of food at any restaurant but only 1 here. There were 17 of us. We overwhelmed the place, but we sat and talked while we waited, and the food was good. Stone bruise on my left foot - ouch.

• LeighDS Amateur 21 posts since
    Feb 11, 2012
    4,780. Jan 11, 2013 6:16 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ran another 3.25  in 30:18. Cold weather is not my best friend. Plan on a 7+ mile tomorrow morning or Sunday.

Finished Races

2010 Tanger Outlet 5K

2011 Tanger Outlet 5K

2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon

2012 Stonyfield Earth Day 5K

2012 Make-A-Wish Big Lake Half Marathon

2012 WOW' fest Trail 10K

2012 Tanger Outlet Fit For a Cure 5K

2012 I Survived The End of the Wolrd 4-Miler

Upcoming Races

TBD

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,781. Jan 11, 2013 10:08 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hi all,

Not a lot of running this week as I'm still resting my sore knee.  I did a weight workout Tues and cario classes on Wed & Thur.  I told DAS that I was not going to run this weekend either, not til the pain goes away.  Tonight I think I'll do some elliptical and then another weight workout.  More than one of the articles I read about Runner's Knee indicate that strengthening the quads can help so that's what I'm going to try.  I admit I have lost strength in the past year by being somewhat lax with my weight routines.  I was also advised to not run on TM but with the cold weather returning this weekend I don't have a whole lot of options.

A fun thing happened yesterday.  I got my mail and had an envelope with a bulky item inside.  I opened it up to discover a finisher medal from the New Year's Color Run!  I'm guessing that they ordered medals but they didn't arrive in time for the race.  How fun!

I also discovered that one of my sisters in law, and also a cousin, have started the C25k program.  Now I can't wait til I see them again so we can go for a run together!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,782. Jan 11, 2013 11:13 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Been awhile and I have finally caught up on all your posts, so many to respond to but I do want to say "welcome" to the new ones!!

It's been a whirlwind the last couple of weeks.

Joyous news of all, the healthy birth of our 2nd grand baby on New Year's Day, same day as our anniversary.  Mommy feeling overwhelmed with "how" to take care of two babies and getting the sleep she craves:  told her, those feelings never stop no matter how 'old' your 'babies' ............ haha!!  But she was feeling much better when my wonderful son-in-law stepped up to take care of anything she needs and that all she needs to do is 'ask.'  Sometimes it's tough to ask for help but family and friends want to pitch in, they are just waiting to be told what they can do, they are not mind readers, etc....

After my 9 mile run in the snow in northern AZ, my husband flew back to MN on a Sat. and, checking my calendar on my cell phone, I had forgotten there was a 20K trail race on Sunday morning.  I decided to run that at the last minute and treat it as a training run.  The trail race is part of the Xterra AZ trail run series and I try to run them when I can when I am close to Phoenix.  I had not run this particular trail, White Tank race, so I was excited about it.  Met up with the runners about 7 am.  There were two races:  an 8K and a 20K (about 12.5 miles). 

OMgoodness!!!  After 2 miles of dirt packed and sand in the arroyas, we had to climb, literally, CLIMB about 5 miles up a rocky, switchback, single track, dirt packed trail!!!!!!!!!! I slowed my pace, ran as long as I could but walked like everyone else when we could, ran, walked, ran, walked, etc........... an elevation gain of over 1500!!!  Needless to say, I USED up ALL MY WALK BREAKS, HAHA!!  Looked at my time but had to tell myself that this is a TRAINING RUN, just keep running. Finally reaching top, I found a couple of guys who I paced all the way down until we reached 10 miles, time was over 2 hours by then, bummer, had some water at aid station, then picked up my pace till I crossed the finish line!!  It was one of the toughest trail race I have ran in regard to the elevation gain for almost 5 miles!! 

Waited to see if I placed in the top three in my age group but name wasn't called so headed to a restaurant and had lunch with a couple of friends who finally got to see me race ........ well, finish.

Anyway, waited a couple of days and looked online for results and it turns out that my official time was 2:29 and I did place!!  3rd in my age group, and 32nd overall out of just over 162 runners!!  The announcer gave "my medal" (a beverage glass) to someone else though ............... wondering if I should email the event organizer??? 

Haven't run since ................ that was one tough but awesome race!!! Muscles felt great but sore......... SO AMAZED how anyone can RUN non-stop and finish within 1:30 minutes!!!!

But I will do it again ............. when I have trained much better ...........Just didn't put in enough training runs for this one but not complaining.  Grand baby was worth it!!!

Trail runner

Jan 20, 2010
    4,783. Jan 11, 2013 11:44 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

The whirlwind in the last couple of weeks didn't stop when I ran the 20k trail race this past Sunday.

I stayed with daughter to take care of grandbabies till my flight back home to MN on Thursday (yesterday).

But on Monday morning, hubby called to see how the grandbabies and daughter were doing, etc.....

Then, he said "everything is ok" ........... I held my breath ........... then "I'm calling from the hospital" .............. thought it was about his parents.

"I had a heart attack" ........I'm stunned ......... I will take the next flight out I said, but he told me to stay with my scheduled flight, "I'm being taken care of at the hospital, nothing you can do except wait around, just take care of the babies because you need to keep yourself busy." 

We are both health care professionals so we do stay calm, assess the situation, etc. when there's a crisis but it's more personal when it hits home, right?  But I didn't want to stress him out so I stayed, anxiously, till Thursday.  Couldn't eat but taking care of newborn left me little sleep so didn't have the energy or focus to run .............. don't want that when training on TRAILS!

He was discharged Wed and has been recovering very well at home, diagnosis is positive, on meds for rest of his life, but most importantly, healthier diet and lifestyle to maintain from now on. 

Of course he has known this for years!!!!!! He's only 50!!!! 

Both sides of his family have histories of heart problems, heart surgeries, crappy eating, practically no exercises/active lifestyles, and have died from them. 

He is feeling much better now, just fighting off a cold now.  I made it home last night, LONGEST HUG ever. 

It is sooo freaking cold and slick outdoors here, don't want to drive much less run .............. just gonna spend time with hubby. 

Will need to find a club so to run indoors till I need to travel back to AZ, CO, CA, and NM in another month but think I need to seriously shop for a TM, ugh!! 

Trail runner

Jan 20, 2010
    4,784. Jan 11, 2013 2:53 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

oh, correction:  placed 34th out 62 female runners but there were about 162 runners for the 20K, looks like I finished in the middle of the pack overall.  Not bad for getting in less training runs about 2 wks prior, need to incorporate more hill/mountain running.  Can't wait to do it again!!!

Trail runner

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...