Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1312 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2013 6:19 AM by mkayc RSS
mkayc Legend 582 posts since
Jun 8, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 8, 2013 9:21 AM

My favorite race this year was......because....

On another thread we were discussing our race plans for 2013 and how pricey HMs have grown and the fact that prices may force us to pick fewer races. I had to plot all my races for the year to make sure I had enough time between them and no overlap just to make sure it was ok to register for the USAF Marathon on new year's because it will soon sell out. With entry prices and travel costs growing, it would really help to hear about the races folks enjoyed the most and why so we can make better decisions.

I ran the Flying Pig, Cleveland, Columbus, and White Tail Trail HMs this year. I fell into an opportunity to run the USAF HM when a friend injured herself and it was my favorite race of all! Most of the course was run on Wright Patterson AF Base, which was really neat. I prefer a paved course but found the AF Base with no spectators a peaceful change. There was a stronger sense of community among the runners. Folks talked more and seemed generally more polite. Of course, that also could have been the result of the AF discipline and the fact that a large percentage of the runners were military. The swag was exceptional! The shirt and cap we got were by far the best I have from the 30+ races I ran this summer. The pomp and ceremony that came with the start and finish were also awesome. I would highly recommend it!

Hope you'll take the time to tell about your fave and why you liked it. Sometimes a race you didn't expect to like can surprise you.

Attachments:

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    1. Jan 8, 2013 9:46 PM (in response to mkayc)
    Re: My favorite race this year was......because....

My vote is for the Angels 5K, Anaheim, CA, which I ran on April 22.

* Race course loops around Angel Stadium, with part of the route inside the stadium. Since I'm a diehard baseball fan (as you can probably guess from the avatar, lol) that was a dream course. Also a high percentage of the racers were baseball fans, so good company.

* Course was flat and fast, with only a few turns and no hairpins. Per Garmin, total elevation gain/loss was under 20 ft.

* High quality tech T-shirt. Many other races in the LA area still provide cotton because it's cheaper. For those of us who like to train and race in race shirts, getting tech is a nice touch.

* A real awards ceremony for age group medals - we actually got called up to the stage at the expo. Many other races just hand them out at a table. Not this one. And the medals were large and attractively designed.

* Angel Stadium does a pre-game expo which is normally open only to ticket holders for that day's game. However, our race bibs got us into the expo for free. Nice.

* And finally...race registration included a ticket to a future Angels game. We had a choice of several. I picked a June game vs. the Giants, who eventually won the World Series.

Needless to say, I will definitely be looking for this race next year.

Carol

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• LeighDS Amateur 21 posts since
    Feb 11, 2012
    2. Jan 9, 2013 4:13 AM (in response to crl8686)

The Disney World Half Marathon, which I ran in January 2012. Why this was favorite:

- Its Disney!!

- They had some form of entertainment at every mile!

- The whole long weekend event (Thursday - Sunday) felt incredible to be a part of.

- Lots of cool stuff (tech shirts, giveaway, expo, etc)

- We started in the morning between 5 - 6 so the first half was in the dark, which was very cool!

- The finishers medals were awesome! Felt like I won the race itself!

I hope to run the half again next year (2014) and maybe even the full in 2015. AT one point I'd like to try the Goofy depending how my full goes!

Finished Races

2010 Tanger Outlet 5K

2011 Tanger Outlet 5K

2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon

2012 Stonyfield Earth Day 5K

2012 Make-A-Wish Big Lake Half Marathon

2012 WOW' fest Trail 10K

2012 Tanger Outlet Fit For a Cure 5K

2012 I Survived The End of the Wolrd 4-Miler

Upcoming Races

TBD

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Jan 9, 2013 6:51 AM (in response to LeighDS)

I have two this year, 1st every year is the MCM I just love everything about the race it's all ways very close to my birthday (1 Nov) so it reminds me how lucky I am!  Both my wife and daughter go also and run the 10K, it just a great weekend!  #2 was the Outer Banks Half I ran it with my wife so she could run a PR it was a easy run for me but just a great time running with her and two other friends!

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    5. Jan 9, 2013 10:02 AM (in response to mkayc)

2 cents and worth about that.

Back in the 90's before I stopped running did the SF Giants "Run to Home Plate" at Candlestick.  It was a 5K and since I love baseball the game after was fun too.

That has morphed into the "Giants Race" a 1/2 marathon, 10K and 5K.  Haven't done the one at AT&T, but have taken my boys to run the bases at AT&T and done tours of the park - I'm not biased or anything, but running in SF down around the water front is always fun.  I see that Boston has a "Run to Home Plate" run, so depending on how far you want to go, check your local team's events to see if they have a run as well.  Giants have been doing a run for around 20 years now and might be one of the older ones.

I always enjoyed the SF Marathon - nothing quite like running over the Golden Gate Bridge.  They have a couple of 1/2 marathons with it, but the first 1/2 is the one you want and the one that sells out the quickest (takes you over the bridge starting from the water front near the ferry building).  They have more bands and music these days and my wife and son love it.  The course is hilly so don't expect a PR.  My wife signed me up for the full this year...

For me personally this year, I'd say the "Other Half" was fun and also over the GG Bridge.  Course is fairly hilly, but gorgeous.  Most of the race is through the Marina district and Presidio.  It was fun, but my very first 1/2 and I wasn't prepared.

Favorite race for the year was Dolphin South End club's 1/2 marathon around Lake Merced.  For SF a relatively flat course.  No frills, but cost was $10 with late day registration.  No chip timing and small group but fast.  Weather was awsome for late summer ~50F at start of race, ~53F at finish.  Of, course that's hard to predict, but in the summer SF is almost always cooler then the rest of California.  Lots of food at end of race and volunteers were mostly club members and very friendly.  We talked to a gentelman and his wife probably in their 70s who run the Humboldt marathon every year. 

I love running in SF, so you can take all of this with a grain of salt.  I spend a lot of time in the south bay and a lot of the races I did this year were near SF Bay.  It's a big bay with lots of races near by.

Ray

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    6. Jan 9, 2013 10:43 AM (in response to rcuriel)

Mary Kay, the weather this year at the Outer Banks was perfect!  At the start about 38 and at the end about 60 with a beautiful Carolina Blue sky no wind.  wind can be a issue.  Pig is a great race also.

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    7. Jan 9, 2013 12:02 PM (in response to mkayc)

Great thread Mkay!

I would have to pick two races from last year.  First was the 2012 Crazylegs Classic in Madison, WI.  It's an 8k put on by UW Athletics.  If memory serves, there were 12,000 runners and walkers last year.  It starts at the state capitol with Badger players and coaches at the start and ends inside Camp Randall at the 50 yard line with live music.  The weather didn't really cooporate but running into Camp Randall was excellent.

Second would be the Wrut-N-Run at a local ski hill, it's the most physical run I do.  This year was three laps up and down the hill.  It was the second consecutive year that I ran it.  My goal was to beat the previous years time; I smashed that time and ended up finishing first for my age group.  Even surprised myself.

Cheers.

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,340 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    9. Jan 10, 2013 1:47 PM (in response to mkayc)

I've been thinking about this since you posted the question.  The Marine Corps Marathon is my sentimental favorite and I've been running it for 20 years, with one miss and a dnf due to injury. 

This year, though, I think my favorite was the Back on My Feet Midnight Madness.  It's an 8.46 mile loop of the two river drives in Philly, which starts at midnight in the middle of July.  The weather always sucks (warm and humid), it's dark (headlights strongly recommended), but everybody is lit up and in a festive mood.  It's great to be able to run through downtown Philly in the middle of the night without worry.  There's a 24-hour ultra that runs at the same time in the opposite direction, so we cheer for them along the way.  Back on My Feet is a great charitable organization (started in Philly) and is well worth running to support..  http://www.backonmyfeet.org/

Honorable mention goes to the Caesar Rodney Half Marathon in Wilmington Delaware.  Wilmington turns out to be a surprisingly hilly town and this race has challenged me for quite a few years.

Len

Len

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    10. Jan 10, 2013 5:23 PM (in response to mkayc)

Hey Mary Kay - great question!  I don't race much and loved them all (hmm, maybe not all), but I would have to say for sheer empowerment and enthusiasm its the Tufts 10K for  Women in Boston. Men can run too, it's just mostly women.  Thousands of women doing yoga on Boston Common to warm up.  Plenty of portapotties, mini Expo, organized bag check.  The MC kept the energy high and you just felt like you could do anything.  Running through the BackBay, across the Charles River, a loop in Cambridge and back to the Boston Common was really nice.  The last water station was  men dressed in tuxes holding water cups on silver trays.  Priceless!

Second place would be the All Women and One Lucky Guy Half Marathon in Newburyport, Mass.   Men have to buy chances in the lottery and about 3-4 weeks before the race the one "Lucky Guy" gets chosen randomly.  He gets his own Tshirt that says, you guessed it! One Lucky Guy.  The scenery was beautiful - November, so nothing was in bloom and foliage was done, but it wound past 2 reservoirs.  A little hilly, but nothing unbearable.  Pretty medal at the finish (heart shaped with a pink ribbon).  Post-race refreshments included chicken or vegetable soup,and crackers.  I also had a Greek yogurt, some "Food Should Taste Good" chips, and Luna Bars to bring home.   Not that I'm complaining about chicken soup, but why don't races hand out juice box cartons of chocolate milk?  The Horizon organic ones are awesome and it's my favorite post-run beverage.  Hint hint race organizers.  .  

Third place goes to a small local race - Malden Rotary 10k - best goodie bag ever:  loaf of bread from a local bakery, baseball cap with reflective trim, running gloves, water bottle, sample issue of New England  Runner magazine, Bruins wrist band, and a coupon to Marathon Sports. 

I can't envision myself traveling far to a race - at least not until DS is older.  But I'm taking notes on what I might want to do someday!

• LeighDS Amateur 21 posts since
    Feb 11, 2012
    11. Jan 11, 2013 5:09 AM (in response to mkayc)
    My favorite race this year was......because....

mkayc - The races are a little pricy, but in my opinion, they are worth it! Especially if someone has never ran a Disney World Race! Now I have only run the half, but a friend of mine has run both the half and full (at different dates) and she feels the half is one of mer favorite race she's ever done!

Finished Races

2010 Tanger Outlet 5K

2011 Tanger Outlet 5K

2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon

2012 Stonyfield Earth Day 5K

2012 Make-A-Wish Big Lake Half Marathon

2012 WOW' fest Trail 10K

2012 Tanger Outlet Fit For a Cure 5K

2012 I Survived The End of the Wolrd 4-Miler

Upcoming Races

TBD

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    12. Jan 11, 2013 12:50 PM (in response to mkayc)

I would have to say the Divas Half Marathon Series.  The events are well organized through the entire process from expo to after party to race routes and so on.  There is always great crowd support and the opportunity to network with a lot of wonderful people.  Several ladies go in larger groups and enjoy a full weekend of celebrations, so it really creates a special environment.  http://www.runlikeadiva.com/

I highly recommend the opportunity. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points