Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

729755 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 318 319 320 321 322 ... 327 Previous Next
  • JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,785. Jan 11, 2013 4:31 PM (in response to az2mn)
    My last run was...how was yours?

HI All, ran 6.4 miles on LSD TM today. Fluctuated incline mostly from 2.5 to 3.0. Hit target distance. Tough day, worked last night till 7, woke up at 12:30 - had a meeting at 3pm with 1 hr commute, just barely enough time to do 6 x 10:00 and shower. I went with the TM instead of eating till about 5pm. This Sunday is supposed to hit 60! I hope I get to run. Mom is in the Hospital with leg infection and it may be my only time this weekend to visit her.

Melody welcome back. MKayC I have done Max HR in my training, but mainly to get me started. Seemed I was always trying to run too fast, or something. HR eventually came down and I was able to do longer distances. My HR was in the 190+ range. Im not recommending it, but it got me started. NHLA did you forget your headlight or did it fail on you? Francesmom hang in there. As for the eggs, I have 12 Rhode Island Reds (great layer) about 8 Aracuna Americana (they lay pastels called "easter eggs") and 5 Black Rocks because my wife felt bad for them left-over at the feed store. I had 31 in the Spring, down to 24 in Jan. Biggest loss was 2 due to a weak-spot in the fence in 2 nights. This is my 3rd year raising them. In past, I lost them must faster. Coyotes, coy dogs, raccoons, fisher cat, possum. My main suggestion is to build it strong. Give them a nice coop with no way for anything to get in. I'll upload a photo of my setup soon. Fresh eggs are so great! and I see them flapping their wings outside, pecking at dirt, bugs, grass. Its good to see. Also, I bought more chicks than I needed, because I lost birds every year. With Rhode Island Reds (good starter bird) you will probably get close to 90% egg to bird ratio, most of the year. Also, congrats on the sub 9 time.

Deb -just one more minute, I do it all the time. good job! jmsab nice bike ride. Congrats on the C25K trainer gig. I bet it is going to be fun getting the contact high of the newbies making progress. As for the TM haters, I never hated the TM, but when I started running the road, I learned (over time) I loved that more. I am easily distracted. I can handle Headline News, or even a 3 min MTV video, but longer attention and Im sure Id be injuring myself. OC Toned Bones. Awesome name. Cool concept. Leigh that is really cool about the Medal. I love the Medal. Most 5K dont give medals though, do they? Ive been in 3 races total, I dont know. Im glad I saw your Disney run in your history. Im planning a trip. I got to see the upcoming races and it just may affect our plans to make sure I am in Disney Running.That should be a cool medal. Az2Mn Congrats on the grandbaby. Awesome trail run. Sorry to hear about hubby. Hopefully he makes changes in his lifestyle that you can help him by supporting so that he lives a long healthy life. -

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,786. Jan 11, 2013 4:53 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

AZ2MN - I'm glad he's all right. I know what you mean about crisis situations - your training takes over and your heart rate doesn't even increase, but then when the crisis is over you just collapse from emotion.

Sadly, the runner that collapsed at the race last Saturday was not so fortunate; he passed away after 3 days in ICU.

Linuscatch - sent you a private message and an email to your office account with my cell #. Hope to see you tomorrow!

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,787. Jan 11, 2013 8:20 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

First things first:   Az2Mn..... Glad to hear he's OK now. You must have been at wit's end so far away when you heard from him. Keep him in line with the diet, exercise, etc. Sometimes guys over 50 don't always listen like they should and don't pay attention to what they're told. I can't remember who told me that, or if that's exactly what they said, but it was something to that effect.

Ran a 3-mile progressive run on TM tonight (didn't get to run outside in the great weather today due to traveling 50 miles for wife's follow-up and first PT session). After the 3 miles, did 2 x 400 at full speed and 2 x 800 at 9 mph with 400 jogs in between each. Total 5.5 miles, 43:08.

Found out I have to help with wife's at-home PT. The guy showed me three range-of-motion exercises to start with. Have to do them 2x /day. I'm not certified. And can I bill her insurance company?

JeffCT... Nice time management and best wishes for your mom's leg infection. Good work on the 6+ TM run!!

Good luck to weekend racers and all other runners.

Have nice days.

• mikolajek Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 12, 2013
    4,788. Jan 12, 2013 2:56 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Wow... it's the only thing I can say looking at previous posts.

I'm still struggling to make 5 every day, but I believe I've been making progress.

audyt ?ledczy

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    4,789. Jan 12, 2013 8:49 AM (in response to jmsab23)

jmsab23  Concerning treadmill toleration: My company's gym has several.  One of them does have a screen that shows you courses to run.  The important thing is that they face the TV.  I suppose I should look at it as an opprotunity to reacquaint myself with the Andy Griffin show reruns.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,790. Jan 12, 2013 9:08 AM (in response to jmsab23)

NHLA, "back in the day when I last ran on the TM...." ?? Love this weather!!

FrancesMom, doing 4.73 mi in 42 min with a 2 mi puppy walk is heavy-duty!! Glad to hear all news on DD is good.

Deb, great way to push through!

JM, snowshoeing? Ugh. And, not in a good way. Good choice, going inside. Now, with the C25k, it sounds like you are doing that all on your own (w/o sponsors?) That's huge. Just FYI, ours was advertised through local running store's email and on its web site. It drew about 60 people at our one spot (was going on at three locations) and about 35 of them finished. There were pretty evenly numbered groups of those who kept walking, those who stayed with intervals and those who took the leap to running. Needed coaches for the three groups and actually had three coaches for the run/walkers because they were going at very different paces. Using the C25k program model, you may have a different result but it will be popular. It was fun!! Re: HR training, if you were doing this, your maximum aerobic heart rate would be somewhere near 132 (180 - 57 + 5 for over 55 and +5 for fitness). You'd have to keep all runs under 132 for three to four months. Hahahahaha. Ya, that's gonna happen. Your pay for PT? Srsly? Yearssss of "attaboy!"

OC, ahhahahahah! Now see, I would not have made that mistake bc I was once a Twihard. Live and learn. Having green chili and buffalo lust, thank you very much. Can't wait to hear about how you and Linus had a great race!!

Great run, Leigh!

OshCat, a medal. YAY!! Some great base building!

Az, you are a beast!! Amazing race report and result !!! So sorry about DH. I know you're invincible but I hope you will consider giving yourself some down time. You've been through a lot of major changes that can make a huge impact on a person's life.

Damn, Jeff, way to sneak the run in! Sorry to hear of DM's hospitalization.

Well, as part of your advice and my efforts to remind myself why I'm running I started a race discussion on another thread. Check it out. It's title is something like, "My favorite race was...because.." Lots of great ideas!! There are races through Fenway and AT&T park in SF. Who knew!! Someone (Maybe Snerb) mentioned the Humboldt Race of the Giants. That looks it might be the most beautiful run ever! anyway, the discussion is working to get me motivated or at least remind me why I want to keep training. 

I am still taking in info but am probably going to embrace maximum aerobic HR training because so many folks mentioned that my latest symptoms sounded like overtraining, I've been having trouble losing weight when I cut calories, I'm getting sick too much, it's more comfortable, and it's likely to make efforts to go long easier. I'm listing all this bc I'm still not convinced doing this won't make me lose all the speed I've worked so hard to gain but theory is you get faster once your body adjusts so I'm taking the next three to four months to find out. Also, this should make more frequent runs less likely to injure me. So, I'll be posting some very slow paced runs with big puffy chest and now you know why. Having trouble bc of age, etc. figuring my max aerobic HR. Anyone know what it feels like when you reach that and/or how it feels different to work at an anaerobic rate?

So, three runs this week, total 11.5. YAY!! Yesterday and today were attempts to stay under 126 and 121 HR. Paces of 12:43 and 15 mm first on TM and then at HS track. Fudging. My max aero. HR is somewhere between 111 and 121 but 111 means walking and that's 17 mm, just not my idea of work. 121 required walk/run. That was hard enough. Funny how when I'm trying to slow down, I have no trouble breathing and wanting to go harder but when I'm trying to push, I want to back off. My best race pace for HMs is above 12:43 but it felt torturously slow, like running backwards, while I was doing it. Of course, no hills. I wonder how much is still just mental dust balls. Anyway, breathing was no problem despite still hacking and blowing. I felt like I could do so much more after these runs. Joints are shouting, though, and I'm hoping its just adjustment. Ice bath in winter is pure hell!!!!!!!

Strong runs, all!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,791. Jan 12, 2013 10:57 AM (in response to mkayc)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

jmsab - I've always wanted to try snowshoeing - sounds like a good precursor to hot cocoa!  A big screen in front of the treadmill with beautiful courses might be nice - Expresso Bike does that (small screen) with stationary bikes ( and I love those).  When the course goes uphill, you feel like you're riding uphill - quads!   Of course, the reason they want you to help with the PT at  home is probably to make the insurance company happy - no claims. 

NHLA 65 in January!  I know you're down south,but still . . . wow.  It's suppposed to be in the upper 50s here tomorrow.

Old Coyote - if I managed to run up to that elevation, I sure as heck would take time to enjoy the view too.  Toned Bones - LOL

LeighDS - I hear you on the cold, but you're still getting 'er done.

OshCat - good resting your knee - you don't want to play with that.  And how exciting - unexpected bling in the mail!  Re:  sister-in-law and cousin, the family that runs together . . . has fun together!

az - hugs to you!!  How frightening to get that phone call when so far away.  I know you'll take good care of hubby- whether he likes it or not.  great race 

Jeff - awesome mileage on the TM.  I'm a little apprehensive about using an incline - afraid I'll slide right off the back of the TM, I guess.  Speedy healing to your mom!

mikolajek - progress at our own pace is what it's all about. 

degregorius - LOL.  I always forget to take headphones to the Y (I never use music anymore) to plug into to TV - I just keep reading the scrolling news along the bottom of the screen - no wonder I'm bored.

MaryKay - whatever works is what you should do - trial and error - maybe some more error - and then you'll have a system that works for you!  Hopefully you will get over this cold and be done for the season with illness. 

Yesterday I totally slacked off again - thought of changing my handle to SlackerDeb - but got back on the exercise horse this morning.  60 minutes of water aerobics; then 1.5 miles on the TM at an average pace of 10:38 - which is hugely fast for me; then a full circuit on the weightlifting machines.  The one nice thing about the TM is I can run at a faster pace - kind of because I have to once I set the speed or I'll fall off - so maybe I can  transfer that to the road one day.    Tomorrow is long run - definitely outdoors  - it will be warmer and daylight and no ice!  Yay! 

Apr 9, 2011
    4,792. Jan 12, 2013 12:08 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

JeffCT - I'm glad I'm not that busy!

jmsab - I don't envy you. Doing PT for a loved one can be very hard. You are causing pain to the one you love, and knowing it's for her own good doesn't help much. Walk in love, brother.

mikolajek - "progress at our own pace is what it's all about" I couldn't have said it better than DebM, so I didn't.

degregorius - I wish Chicago would get some snow, so you could enjoy what we are

MaryK and DebM - I will be taking another rest week myself. This body needs it.

Francessmom - I'm praying for you and your daughter.

I ran ~150 miles in December, and then I haven't hit 20 miles in a week for the last 3 weeks. Any runs I've had have been high quality, no junk miles, just a lot of fun. I met up with linuscatch and his neighbor at the race this morning. It was 8 degrees and overcast. I wore 2 full bottom layers and 3 on top, plus gloves, had, bandana, and glasses. By the 3K mark the gloves and bandana came off to dump heat. While warming up, I pulled slightly my plantaris muscle in my right leg. That's the one that runs between your quads and gastrocs on the outside of your knee. My gastrocs were stiff, and the weather was quite cold, so it's not surprising I got hurt. Anyway, I continued to warm up, decided that running conservatively wasn't likely to increase the injury, and lined up for the start.

Aside: If, when the starter gun fires, you think you may be fiddling with your iPod and hydration pack, do not line up near the sign that says "elite runners".

Anyway, I took it easy, did the first 3K at 5 min/kilometer, then the last 2 at 4:30. I'm getting to know this distance pretty well, so pacing gets easier. Official time 24:03, chip 23:53, 1:34 off of my PR but my best time for this course, and I had fun. There was a woman with a smallish terrier type dog just ahead of me through kilometer 3, when I passed her. She came in 5 seconds behind me. Now, I got beat by a couple 8 year old girls and some "jogging" strollers and I'm OK with that, I'm happy for them. But I don't wanna get beat by a terrier . I was 8th in my AG, but the full field size hadnt been posted when I left, so I don't know what 8th means. This is the first race in a local series that runs through September; some money, some bragging rights, so it draws a fast crowd in all AGs as well as walkers (not so many this year!) I guess there were about 800 hardy souls. Those volunteers today ROCKED! If you don't ever work a race, please do. Even on a nice day, if you must .

Went to the post race health fair where I was informed my body fat percentage is 10.2.

Good luck to the Sunday racers. I'll be lurking next week even if I'm not running and posting

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,793. Jan 12, 2013 12:57 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

I've been having a VERY hard time logging in here lately Still thinking about a move, anyone??

I've taken a few days off, but did run close to 20 miles this week. Chiropractor yesterday and then rest. Hoping for another 10 miler tomorrow in 40 degrees<~ WOW toasy!

mkayc I admire your willingness to try different approaches to your training. Maybe try a Paleo type diet, or wheat free? It might help shed the pounds with less hard running.

NHLA You guys are so tough running in the dark! Wow, 65 degrees?! Shorts?

Francessmom I hope there is more good news for your daughter...I know that must be stressful!

Debm2011 At-a-girl, pushing through with "just one more minute"! I hope you get to run outside on Sunday. I will see you on the virtual roads.

jmsab23 That's so cool that you are heading up a C25K program. You will be changing someone's life! You are a good hubby re: DW's recovery.

Old Coyote Toned Bones sounds SO cool! I want to go. Wow, what an awesome race you ran! "body fat percentage is 10.2" <~ Holey Moley!!!

LeighDS Hang in there with this cold...spring is commin'

OshCat That's outstanding about the surprise medal! BTW, (my two cents) when I got my foam roller and really focused on working the IT band, all my knee pain went away.

az2mn What a whirlwind for you!! OMGosh, girl. (((hugs))) and a few more (((hugs))). I echo what Mary Kay said, be sure to take care of yourself, that is a lot of stress. CONGRATS on the new grand babe and I hope hubby recovers quickly!

JEFF CT I hope your mom gets better soon and you can get outside for a run tomorrow.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    4,794. Jan 12, 2013 1:20 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

Old Coyote: I did a three mile run today, because tonight the temperature drops, and tomorrow, it will snow.  Really!  That's what the forecast says.Wil it be an inch or more. Well....

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,795. Jan 12, 2013 3:04 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Today I ran a "long" run that I've wondered about for quite a while now. It's a big loop on the main roads around the small lake in back of our house. There are some hills, and some big hills. I always thought it was longer than it turned out, but it was 6.75 miles. I finished in 56:29, stopping a couple times to walk a little and take a couple sips of water on the biggest hills.

Coyote..... Yeah, fiddling with your ipod or water bottles at the start isn't a great idea. The only thing worse than getting run over at the start is getting beat by a little old lady with her terrier.

mkayc.... We're in a small town, so I'm not expecting a large turnout for the C25K, but I'd be happy to have a lot of runners/walkers. It would be fun to get so many people going. I'm lining up some stores to get discount coupons, nutritionist visits, etc.

Degregorious..... When I was using the TM at my company last fall, when mine was broken, it was facing outdoors into the parking lot, so after work, when I ran, I'd be watching all the other employees leaving to go home or wherever they were going - not inspirational at all.

Melody.... I think my logging in issues were with my old computer, which needs to be replaced. I've had no issues with my wife's laptop.

Debm.... The only thing about keeping up with the treadmill is when the power goes out, which happened to me once. I was going at a pretty good clip, and everything went black, and I went flying into the FRONT console of the TM, because the belt STOPPED!!!! Just the opposite of not keeping up with the belt and falling off the back.

Go PATS!!!

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,796. Jan 12, 2013 3:10 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

11 miles 1 hr 45 min. Got cought in the rain, Running with a cold is slowing me down.

Shorts weather.

OC nice 5k

MK I haven't been on a TM for four years.

az health problems sure make all your other problems seem small.

Apr 9, 2011
    4,797. Jan 12, 2013 3:16 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

NHLA - Didn't you have a suggestion on where to move this group?

Go Broncs. Tied at halftime.

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,798. Jan 12, 2013 6:39 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

2.5 miles at 9:30 pace in sunny San Juan on Wed afternoon.  Then 5 miles again in San Juan on Thur at a sightseeing pace of 11:00b  Both days it was about 80 degrees!   If you all haven't been to Old San Juan, it is very cool, with lots of history and a beautiful section of town with great hotels, nice restaurants and shops.

Then met up with coyote this morning for the local 5k and it was 8 degrees.  Lots of layers.  Been running slower of late so had no expectations, except finishing behind both coyote and my neighbor.  Both of those expectations were fulfilled as I finished in 28:58, or 9:18 pace.

So I insured that the course record stayed intact, but really it was a good race for me, with splits of 14:53 and 14:05.  Overall felt good, and while I had the Garmin watch and HRM on, I never looked at it between the start and finish lines, instead running totally by feel.  When I looked back at results, the effort was even throughout, and for the first time in any race since high school, I did not have to stop to walk from going out too fast.  Who knows, maybe my pace demons can be conquered.

Great event, and even better meal after.  Enjoyed the time with coyote and look forward to finding time to run together again soon.  While I did not stop at the health fair, I am absolutely positive that they would not have found my body fat to be 10.2%!

This race is what I needed to get refocused.  Gonna lose the 10 lbs I have gained since Sept and start getting serious again with some structured training.

az:  Glad to hear hubby is OK, but what a scare that must have been.  I am only a couple years younger than him and think about that kind of thing happening to me.

Everyone else:  Keep up the great work.  Will come back on line tomorrow when I have more time to respond to you individually.

Run fearless!

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    4,799. Jan 12, 2013 7:27 PM (in response to az2mn)

Wow, you all have been busy! 

as2mn- so glad to hear DH is OK.   That is a big scare, so hard when so far away.  I hear what you say about the TM, but I've decided to make peace with the beast.  Miles on the treadmill are better than no miles at all, and it's just to tough to get outside in this WI/MN weather. 

The warmer weather we had didn't get me outside; either raining or blowing at 30 mph; even at 40 degrees, that's no fun.  We even lost power this morning during the high winds.  All of my running today was running around in the car; maybe I'll hit the TM tomorrow during Seattle/Atlanta to see how Wisconsin's Russell Wilson fairs in his second playoff game. 

Good health to all!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)