Skip navigation

1373 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2016 9:43 AM by coachjowers@gmail.com
Dad3000 Rookie 3 posts since
Oct 10, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 13, 2013 8:51 PM

Age 6: How early is too early to start playing softball? Not T-ball.

My highly energetic 6 year old daughter wants to follow her sisters and play Softball this spring. She's learning the game via a clinic setting for the next 18 weeks.

I have been told by another parent that our t-ball league (6 - 7 yr olds) is a waste of time as a program for both the kids and parents.

Our minor league consisting of 8 to 12 year olds is your typical town rec league - not very serious or competitive but a good place to learn the basics.

I know that my 6 year old would get more from playing with the older minor group but I'm just not sure we should make the leap this Spring. 6 seems too young in a way - but I think we're going to go for it. I'm being strongly encouraged by an enthusiastic coach to bring her on board. Is 6 too young to play with the 11 year olds?  Any advice out there is appreciated.

Thanks,

DAD3000

• RODRIGUEZ1162 Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 23, 2014

Yes, a 6yr old should not be playing or practicing with 10 or 11 year olds.  She will not have enough coordination or reaction time to receive a ball from 10 or 11 year olds.  It will not benefit either girl.  Your 6 year old will be scared and probably get hit in the face with a ball being thrown to her and the 10 & 11 year olds will have to try and hold back their throws so they won't hurt her.  This would not help either girl get better.  It's best to let her play with girls at her age and skill level.  I've seen 10 year olds who have been playing since they were 6 years old playing with other 10 year olds who have never played and some of those 10 year olds quit after the first day because they got hit by a thrown ball.  She needs time to develop her skills but more importantly her confidence.  Good luck!

• coachjowers@gmail.com Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 27, 2012

Dad 3000,

I have been a coach for quite a few years and also serve on the Board of Directors for 2 differnt associations.  I agree 100% with the comments from rodriguez1162 about playing up with girls at 10 or 11 years old.  It is not safe and she WILL get hurt.

However, with that said.....6 years old is NOT to early to start playing regular softball.  You need to simply find a league that has a 6U or 8U division that she can play with.  6U and 8U both are catered to the younger girls anyway and allow for the lack of experience.  Lots of these kiddos start in T-Ball and move to fastpitch once they are old enough to join a league.

Many of your local leagues will have an 8U division and quite a few have a 6U division.  I suggest you reach out to one of those leagues and see what they have available for her.

Good luck!

Coach Jowers

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points