Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

848 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2013 7:19 AM by Leadville Fan RSS
slowbuthappy Amateur 28 posts since
Dec 19, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 5, 2012 2:20 PM

Using socks with Vibram Five Fingers?

I can last about 30 minutes with my VFF's.  After that my feet start to hurt and it just gets worse.  Plus if I step on a sharp rock, it hurts.  But the rocks I can pretty much avoid.

I love the shoes.  I feel like I go faster with much less effort.  Except for the pain.  I have no ankle or calf pain, just the bottoms of my feet.

Has anyone ever tried the toe socks inside the VFF's?  Does it take away from the experience of feeling lighter and faster?

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    1. Jun 5, 2012 2:58 PM (in response to slowbuthappy)

I use the injinji toed socks.  My main pair of Vibrams were the KOS, found that if I don't wear socks they would cut into my feet.  The injinji are one of the lighter socks out there and they make them with different lengths.  The compression version are interesting, but I think perfer just a compression sleeve to the socks.  I like the low cut, but I guess my feet are of slightly different lengths cuz the low cuts feel a bit short on my right foot...I almost always wear socks with my vibrams, but ymmv...

Ray

• Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009
    2. Jan 14, 2013 7:19 AM (in response to slowbuthappy)

I don't run in my VFF, but I wear them around the house and for errands. I have the ultra thin Injini toe socks for wearing with my VFF.   My understanding from other articles on this, and maybe check out Vibrams on facebook and ask the question there too, is that you pretty much have to harden up the soles of your feet so they aren't as sensitive.

I run with regular shoes, but wear Injini toe socks all the time.

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points