Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

908995 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 310 311 312 313 314 315 Previous Next
  • urun2me Pro 194 posts since
    Jun 7, 2010

Az2mn, so sorry to hear about your husband's heart attack. That must have been quite a phone call. I'm glad to hear that he is recovering well and that his prognosis is good. When you were finally reunited, I bet that was the longest, strongest hug ever!!! Take care of each other.

Marie, YOU GO GIRL! You finished the Half yesterday and are in the middle of the Full this morning. I'm thinking of you and wishing you a fantastic morning. You are going to feel GREAT ....... when you're finished! I hope you are enjoying every step of your journey.

Mary Kay, just one foot in front of the other until your motivation returns. You don't have to go far and you don't have to go fast, you just have to get out and go! One of these days you'll renew your passion for the run and your body will still be in running shape and you will take off!!

Not much to report here. I had a nice nine mile run yesterday, nice and easy. This whole running thing is getting a little easier. It was nearly 70 degrees, overcast and humid, and I remembered to pack my drink and music but forgot to bring my snacks. I didn't worry too much because I can now go around ten miles before hitting a serious blood sugar wall under normal conditions but the morning's heat and humidity worried me. There was no need to worry as I made it through the run with flying colors. I probably need to work some hills into some of my workouts (I hate hills) since the Half in March has quite a few hills in the first seven miles. Aw, whatever, I'll muddle my way through.

I've still got a litte cough, but I'm finally feeling better. The sinus congestion is gone, for the most part, and I no longer feel as if I have something caught in my throat all of the time. I imposed two days of complete rest and I think it helped. I was sick and tired of feeling sick and tired!

Have a great week, all. Run to your heart's content!

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,666. Jan 13, 2013 11:33 AM (in response to az2mn)
    50 and over, 5k and beyond - what are your challenges?

az2mn~What a frightening phone call that must have been.  I'm sure the hug you shared was one where you never want to let go of each other.  You're both in my prayers as your husband recovers.  My dear father suffered his first heart attack at age 32, he has an extensive family history of cardiac disease, also.  He found wonderful cardiologists for treatment and has outlived 2 of them. He has been vigilant about diet, activity and keeping stress under control.  God willing, he will celebrate his 90th birthday in July.  Take care.

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

az, i am so sorry to hear about your husbad. My prayers are with you all.

Well, DD LeAnne & I are officially Goofy! WE DID IT!!! 26.2 miles + 13.1 miles equals 39.3 miles of GOOFY incredible time with my daughter. Today's marathon time 6:17:58 which included 26 character photos, 3 stops for biofreeze & vaseline and a porta potty break.  My feet are sore, I'll lose one toe nail, and I've told LeAnne not to ask me to do this again any time soon. But still it was an awesome experience and I think God for the assurance, strength, and resolve to do it. Tks to all of you for your encouragement and assurance that we could do it! I'll try to get some photos up soon!

Temps were in the 80's, would have preferred about 10-20 degrees cooler, but you take what you get. Plan for today's marathon was run/walk/run 1 minute intervals. Stayed with it until last 4 or 5 miles and the walk breaks extended to 2 or 3 minutes and then walked a lot, but we finished.

We had trained using dried dates as our energy source.  Well wouldn't you know that I forgot to take them today! We had breakfast at the park, bagel, half banana, a lttile cream cheese & pnut butter. But by mile 9 I was really beginning to wain.  It wasn't until mile 11 when they had bananas and after that when they put out the Gu. My saving grace was that I had a packet of jelly from breakfast and it was enough to get me to the banana. That was the best banana I've ever eatten.....and I don't care for bananas, but I eat them because they are a good source of potassium.

I got too hot on yesterday's half as I didn't wear a hat & my costume was all black.... corrected that for today. The crowd was huge for both race but had a wee bit better spacing and therefore somewhat easier running than yesterday.It definately got us off our gameplan for mostlyf walking and imited running per Jeff Galloway to save ourselves for today .Well we blew that big time although you wouldn't know it by the time. Sometimes you just have to move w/ the flow and there we're a lot of runners in our corral using walk breaks. Yet, their pace was running slow and uncomfortable for me ad Le.  Those who did take walk breaks moved at a snail's pace and made it hard to get in a rtyhnn and it was so crowded that it was hard to dodge traffic. Time for half was 3:11:29. We stopped for a several character photos that took a lot of time, probably about 45 min. Today's lines were generally quicker. We passed on the really long ones. Some would probably take 20 minutes or more to get through.

We had a lot of fun. We're please with our results esp considering the back to back  races and the high temps. Now to enjoy the parks w/ the grandkids for a few days.....just hope they don't have to rent Nanna one of the motorized carts to move around in. LOL.

I've learned a tremendous amount about running and about myself during this journey. Glad I/we did it. Have I mentioned what an incredibly awesome daughter I have?!?

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Marie-  You did it!  Way to go PaintingLady!  Enjoy the next few days and work out those muscle aches as you do.  You deserve the break.

az2mn- So sorry to hear about your DH.  To be so far apart when it happened- I agree with Debra about never wanting to let go.  Interesting about how 'cool' he was when he called, I can see me doing that too.  Guys! Particulary guys in medicine.

Debra- that must be some record, survivine 58 years after your heart attack!  Wow.

Mary Kay- I've been doing the low heart rate regimen per Maffetone, or trying to.  My target HR per his formula is 117-127. I've liberalized it a little because I've found that my actual maximum heart rate is a lot higher than the formulas predict, so I'm trying to keep mine under 130-135.  On the treadmill that is still awfully slow, usually alternating running and walking.  I plan to do this 3-4 times/week and get in one harder run each week. Once I get outside, we'll see how that goes.  I'll probably do that for most of the next 3 months, then in April push harder as I get ready for the first HM of the year.  It is boring, and hard to keep it down, but it will help you stay healthy and avoid over training. Good luck.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

Aug 2, 2010

BRAVO MARIE!!!!  Congratulations to you and LeAnne on being "Goofy" enough to accomplish it!  Sounds like you had soooo much fun and every mile was a memory for both of you.  Enjoy visiting the parks surrounded by your grandbabies.  As the memories of this journey begin to surface in the coming days and weeks, be proud of all you have accomplished.  Well done!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

Marie,

Great job to you both!!!!

• WDWRich Amateur 17 posts since
    Feb 1, 2012

az2mn- Glad to hear all is well with your husband.  While I'm not a fan of treadmills, in your case it seems to be a good idea in order to help your husband get back into a regular training regimen.  We have one and it works very well for my wife who much prefers it versus going out for walk/runs alone

08/19/2012 AFC 5K 28:29

09/01/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08

11/22/2012 Thank you 10K 58:17

01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17

03/10/2013 San Diego HM (registered)

09/01/2013 Disneyland HM (registered)

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009

CONGRATULATIONS GOOFY MARIE!!! I am so proud of you and your daughter!!!! That is an amazing accomplishment and I am just so thrilled for you!

I got my first notification on your HM at 5:30 a.m. my time. I was still asleep in the hotel where I was to run a HM on Sunday! My phone went off and I though..What the heck?? Something must be wrong at home! LOL

I was so excited to get the notifications on Saturday for your HM and was rooting you and daughter along

I got my first notification for your HM at around the same time Sunday morning, but I was up and preparing for my HM that started at 7:00 CST. I had read on the Disney site where they had issued a Extreme weather Alert for the runners because of heat and humidity and I was very concerned for you, but you DID IT!!!  So proud of you and your daughter!!!!

YOU ARE A MARATHONER!!!!!

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,673. Jan 14, 2013 10:11 AM (in response to az2mn)
    50 and over, 5k and beyond - what are your challenges?

Az~ Oh my... how scary that phone call must have been even though you and your husband are both medical professionals! I am so happy that you are back with your husband and that he is on the way to recovery.

Great job on your 9 mile run! The heat and humidity can be bad especially if you do not bring water with you.

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

MARIE, MARIE, MARIE!!!

What an accomplishment; CONGRATS to you and your daughter!!!  She has an amazing mom and what an incredible daughter you have!!

WOW!!  HM one day and a FM the next day, that should qualify you and your daugher as ULTRA marathoners and/or have a special catergory for you both, extra bling!!!

I might just go for a FM two months in a row which I have been thinking about for this summer ........... you have set the bar pretty high, haha!!

Pamper yourselves for awhile, you both deserve it!

Again, what a remarkable feat, so proud of you  both!!!  

Trail runner

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

Thank you for all the well wishes for my DH. 

Justrundan:  not surprising that hubby stayed 'cool' and calm during the early stages of the 'attack' and then calling me AFTER he was taken care of ......... but it was tough to hear being so far away. 

We are all grateful that he made it through.  He shared with me that he was more pissed than scared that it was happening to him NOW; funny how we react when we do get to personally experience such close call incidents. 

girlintheorchard:  He's recovering very well, in fact, doc gave him the ok to resume work today with an emphasis on a lighter schedule of patients. 

Great to see him back to his old self with renewed determination to maintain a healthier lifestyle from now on.

Tried another health club yesterday.

10 minutes elliptical.

10.1 miles on TM, 1:40, using the even stephen running guide.

5 minutes cycle.

15 minutes core exercises.

Got very crowed and busy after 3 pm.

Club has nice updated machines but lacks space for personal belongings which are kept in open cubby holes or on racks by narrow entrance.

Only 2 restrooms to change in, with one shower room to be use for both M and F. 

Classes in the afternoons.  Staff consist of only 2 individuals and only at certain hours.

Pros:  close to home and 24/7 with other sites around the country.

WDWRich: just need to become good friend with the TM for now but I prefer trail running; but I'm good an zoning out when on the TM and just get my miles in with different workouts.

Snow still around with icy roads so not taking any chances on running outside even on balmy days of 14 degrees!!  Below zero temps overnights.

Trail runner

Jul 22, 2011

Pretty quiet here the last 3 days.  More trouble logging in?  It's highly variable for me.  The other forum I participate in is changing over to RunningAHEAD and started one there, in hopes of avoiding the problems plaguing Active.

Picked up some new running shoes today at Fleet Feet, Saucony Progrid Ride 4.  They felt much like the Brooks Ghost that I've been using, but were on sale for $30 less.  That's good enough for me.

Run safe and strong this weekend gang.

notable 2012 runs:

2013 runs:

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Aug 2, 2010

Dan~Only time will tell when I hit the "add reply'.   Able to log in all week, but not reply.  FRUSTRATING! Funny you mentioned RunningAhead.  I've been lurking for a few weeks looking for a possible thread to join, lots of activity over there.  Sweet deal on your new Saucony's!  To quote Ray Bradbury, "The magic was always in the new pair of shoes." I tried out the Brooks PureFlow 2 on the TM at my favorite running outfitters, but the "improvements" made to the original design weren't as comfortable for me.  Unfortunately they no longer stocked my size in the Flow 1,  So ran home, got on the net and ordered directly from Brooks.  Bingo!  On sale and they had my size!

Run Strong!

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011

First off, Marie, Congrats on the Disny Goofy Challenge.  Truely impressive.

Everyone else, sorry I haven't been keeping up, but you all inspire me.

Debra and Dan, more then anything I think the active servers are just SLOOOOWWWWW......I found that respnse from these servers is variable.  Don't know if the setup is overly complex or what, but logging in seems to be tied to host resolution protocols (for those who know DNS resolution).  I found that the slower I click the login button the more likely things are to succed.  When replying as well.  It appears that there are multiple servers involved and sometimes they aren't able to communicate with each other.  Whatever it is, it doesn't work well.  I've also been looking at runninahead and the server response times are soo much better, plus they have free run tracking.  Not sure what the differences between groups and forums are, so mostly still watching.  Looks like the "my last run" group is transition over and tho I haven't posted on active's version, I probably will on the runningahead forum (which seems to be different from the "my last run" group?  Oh, well.

I've been on forced rest, so to speak, since Thanksgiving.  Started walking yesterday (3-3.5 miles don't know exactly) and hope to do a mile on the treadmill tonight. Ortho believes I had a stress reaction (precursor to stress fracture) and said it would be ok to run a week after I was pain free.  Been 10 days, so yesterday was first test (so far, so good), second test is tonight.  Should know by tomorrow whether I need more time or can start ramping up...

Happy New Year!

Ray

Jul 22, 2011

Ray- The running ahead group that was just started by MelodyLea has all caps- 'My Last Run Was'- there is another that is 'my last run was-  The folks who went over from Active are posting on the one that Melody started just this week, so a lot fewer posts.  We could start something like this over there if it was necessary.  (I saw 'we' loosely, not sure I'm techy enough to get it done, I'm having a hard time getting my profile done and accepted!!)  I am going to use their log to keep track this year, looks very useful.  Was the stress reaction in your foot?  Hope all is well and you can get back on the road/treadmill soon. 

Debra- New shoes on sale is always good!  When I saw the difference in price, and they felt the same, there was no question which I'd buy. Glad you got the one that work best for you. 

Warmer than usual today here before the arctic blast comes, but real windy.  I may see if an outside run is possible, if not it will be TM again.

Great weekend running to all.

notable 2012 runs:

2013 runs:

Door County HM- 5/4/2013