Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

477 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2013 5:53 AM by BOSNPM
barinv Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 14, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 14, 2013 11:01 AM

Running 5ks while training for a half-marathon

So I am training for a half in May and I am doing my long runs on the weekend however I have signed up in advance for some 5ks that are on the weekends, Sundays.  Any advice on how to balance a scheduled long run with doing a 5k race? 

Thanks in advance for any advice...

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    1. Jan 14, 2013 2:14 PM (in response to barinv)

What I did in these cases was try and run the additional mileage later in the day.  If schedule called for an eight mile run and I did a 5k in the morning I would run 5 additional miles in the afternoon or evening.  My training schedule was for a 10K and I added in a 1/2 marathon as one of my training runs (substituted for a 10 mile long run).  I also did 5K races and some 8Ks with secondary runs on some of those long run days.

Another method is to swap some days so the races match up with shorter runs.  For example, if you have a 3 mile run on the scedule on Friday you do the long run then with your race counting as your shorter distance on Sunday.

I would occasionally swap days of training (tempo run and intervals -my Tuesday, Wednesday days), but preferred keeping weekends mostly on schedule.  Fridays were a rest day for me, so races tended to follow a rest day.  Saturdays tended to call for a lot of ~6 mile days so I would do an additional 1-3 miles for those days.

Ray

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Jan 15, 2013 5:53 AM (in response to rcuriel)

I think on your LR days you should get the miles together, I run races often on my LR days.  I either run miles before the race or after, I do better doing the miles before. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points