Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

577926 Views 4,892 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 4:54 AM by ShoeGoo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 321 322 323 324 325 ... 327 Previous Next
  • JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,830. Jan 15, 2013 8:03 PM (in response to Old Coyote)
    My last run was...how was yours?

hi All - day 3 - no activity. I'll try again tomorrow. I think I need to lower my goals. Im going to shoot for 5m on TM. Supposed to snow and ice tonight and more tomorrow. Winter depression and short daylight hours making things hard.

Frances - I used to live in that area too. Huntindon Valley. I was a traveling Sleep Tech. I had some nice friends when I was there. One night I remember drinking so much I woke up in the wrong state. I liked being so close to Philly. But I wish you guys would learn to make a cheesesteak the right way. (1) no canned ingredients: mushrooms, onions, peppers. (2) no fake cheese: american cheese is okay, but nothing that looks like Velveeta or whatever. Thats it. But ignoring #1 and #2 will cost the vendor less. I had better cheesesteaks when I lived near State College. Anyway...

Degreg I tried to find you on mapmyrun, but too many results. Couldnt find you.

DSJ -Awesome Disney Marathon! Love the photo and the story. Thank you! Im planning to do the 10 miler in Sept. Hope that happens. If so, I'll be skipping my mud run.

Melody -just a month ago, I would have thought that 5 days in a row was a bad thing, bodys need rest right? but I loved doing my brief 5 day streak. You can do it!

Stay Healthy Everyone - Flu is closing in and Ice is trying to cause an injury. Get through this month and it will almost be SPRING!

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,831. Jan 16, 2013 7:40 AM (in response to JEFF CT)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Lack of sleep (sick doggie), a school snow day with 6 inches of new snow, wrestling the snowblower up and down my long steep driveway, a hurting knee and hip = opting to skip a day in my 5 running days in a row. Ah well, I still have a chance for 20 miles this week which I intend to do!

Francessmom That was an intense core workout! You know you're hitting the right places when you are so sore.

az2mn The new gym sounds nice. Close to home is a big plus!

Debm2011 Yep, we got snow! About 6-8 inches. You go,girl! Re: "Activity Points"

mkayc "If I go down, I'm going down running." <~ You are one tough cookie!

jmsab23 I personally really like hills. Also, the last 10K I ran, kicked me in the behind with a long tough hill at the end AND the half marathon I did in Oct. had some brutal hills (again one biggie at the finish) so I am determined to become adept at hills.

>Speaking of which, any tips from you all for the best down hill techniques??<

OldCoyote I'm now on runningahead.com. Do you have a thread started there?

JEFF CT Winter can be a challenge, for sure! BTW, the course we are both running in May is quite hilly. I've done the 10K a few times. Also, May 26 can be quite warm. Just an FYI.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,832. Jan 16, 2013 9:44 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

Good News! - Frances's tumor is benign!  Official diagnosis is osteochondroma.  As long as no pain or issues we go back in year for f'u xray and visit to ortho.  We need to also monitor it for any obvious changes in size, etc.  BIG SIGH of relief!

Rest day for me today.  The weather is miserable - soaking rain and temps in upper 30's.  Seasonal affective disorder anyone?  I need some sun!

Four of six in my household have bad colds - we all had flu shots in fall.  I am hoping to stay healthy but odds are not in my favor.

Jeff - I have never had a Gino's or Pat's cheese steak. Our local deli makes awesome ones with real cheese (provolone) and real onions.

Melody - I hope your puppy feels better soon!

All - Way to go on the treadmill runs!  More power to you!

I signed up for Running Ahead as Francessmom if and when we decide to switch.

Have a great day everyone!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

Oct 4, 2011
    4,833. Jan 16, 2013 11:24 AM (in response to Francessmom)

Francessmom YAY!! So happy for you and DD. What a relief! ((Hugs)) from one mom to another.

I started a thread over on runningahead.com: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/b6dc13652a9d44408b799563d89c494a/resume#focus

I have pretty much had it with this site! Its such an effort to log in (every single time I post), the page ALWAYS gets hung up and often get a "site is unavailable" message. So, come on over and jump in, the water is great!

My Fine Art Website

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

• JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    4,834. Jan 16, 2013 4:46 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

I RAN. Therefore, I AM. Hi all, got 8.55m on the TM today. 9.58/mi. Got some aggressions out on the TM. Had fun, but didnt get to 14miles. LOL, I thought I could. Even though I havent done more than 6 miles in 4 weeks.

MkayC-  "If Im going down, Im going down running". Awesome. I hope you dont fall, but if you do, that you get right back up without any injuries. Just like little kids and puppies do.

Francesmom- So glad to hear about DD. Awesome news! Being out of the city, I never found good Cheesesteak, but I tell everyone that you guys have the best Stromboli! Also, I think that every major city should have a subway. Boston on one side, PA on the other. When will CT learn?

MelodyLea- I have never run any more than a 10K race. I have never run in May. I havent even really run many hills. ARGH! I'll just train for it. Im not worried. LOL Ok a little.

Also today - I started looking into the 2014, 20-14 Boston Marathon. I tried reserving a room, because I think on RA, they said rooms book 18 months out. But when I tried, the places said no reservations until within 330 day windown. Whatever. I'll get a room. Bigger issue is will I be allowed to run? I dont think I'll make a qualifying time in 2013. I'll have to wait and pray. Also, I think they have a sweeper team. I'll need to make sure I can beat those guys...

I was talking to someone at work today and she stated that she is/was a competetive racer. I am so new to this, that I thought I knew what she meant. I thought it meant, she races where other people race. Turns out it means that she tries to medal. who knew? But since I was so quick to figure that out, I started talking about how I just wanted to get a completion medal and she goes.... "Oh I didnt know they gave those out, thats nice." - you know what? bite me! LOL - seriously, she was a nice person. OK- Im off to RA to see if anyone responded to my blog!  I do love this site, but it needs more postings.

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,835. Jan 16, 2013 5:05 PM (in response to JEFF CT)

Franesmom - YAY wa wonderful news abou DD.  For some reason some keys on my keyboard won' work (bu ey do in word -  jus no online - ARGH 

Ok so now I’m typing this in word and copying intoActive.  I thought it was just a problemwith RA. Keyboard works – just not online. I’ll have to google this problem and see what it means.

Anyway, Marie – HUGS to you on the good medical news forDD.  So happy for you. 

Melody – I posted on your forum on RA.  There’s also something called “User Groups”  hmmmm? Not sure what that’s about.  Hope your pup’s feeling better soon.

Jeff – great TM run  -agreed this dark cold weather is dreary. Even if you don’t BQ, you can always try for a charity bib.  Mmmmmm I haven’t had a good Stromboli inyears.  (I’m originally from the Philly ‘burbs)

No run this morning  -3 inches of snow (it was a planned rest day any way).  And now SlackerDeb is skipping yoga. I just didn’t feel like driving to the Y in slippery slush.  If it’s not icy tomorrow morning I’ll head to theY for a TM run.

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,836. Jan 16, 2013 6:06 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Day off today (scheduled Wed/Thurs off), but doing whatever the wife asks me to while she recuperates takes up most of the time. Good news, though.... we're shopping for home/auto insurance and have found some really, really good savings over current policies. But, all that work took up another couple hours. Managed to get in a 4-miler on TM before dinner, though - 28:55 (7:14 pace).

Francessmom ..... Echoing other comments (and your own) - Great news!!!!!! Now just watch out for the cold that your family is sharing.

Melody.... I still KNOW you could do 5 days in a row. I know it. Hope the hip and knee (and doggie) get better.

JeffCT..... I'd go to my local awards shop and buy some huge bling medal (and maybe even have it engraved) and bring it to work to flash it in front of your competitive co-worker and proceed to relate the huge, competitive race you "finished 234th out of 18,592, but at least I completed it" to get the medal.

Everyone have nice days.

• NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,837. Jan 16, 2013 7:14 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7 miles 55 min. Three days of rain.

NHLA on RA and jimmie t on DM

fran great news

jef  RA is just getting started. I think the post will pu. great format.

mel & deb tough running conditions.

Oct 4, 2011
    4,838. Jan 17, 2013 3:42 AM (in response to NHLA)

Hey team:

I think I'd like to start a group over on runningahead.com ( per Debm2011's great suggestion) Shall I have it be a private group?? I personally kind of like the idea of a private group. It would make things so simple and easy to pop in each day (or so) and touch base with you all. What do YOU think? What shall we call the group? How about the initials MLRW for My Last Run Was?

Well, maybe a private group would be TOO limiting... (just chatting with myself here).

My Fine Art Website

For 2013:

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,839. Jan 17, 2013 8:02 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

Finally a peak of sun this morning!  Otherwise cool 40 degrees. I ran for 2 miles at a 9min/mil pace then stopped home to leash up dogs and then ran an additional 3.35 miles in 32 minutes.  The dogs definitely slow me down a bit. I may not be running fast but I am running for a longer time!  My border colllie needed to run - he was dragging the Aussie, who is twice his weight, down the street.  He is sacked out on my feet as I type.

I love how fast RA is compared to here.  But I feel like I can't be as candid.  I kinda like the group idea.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,840. Jan 17, 2013 10:32 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

Prefer the group idea ........

Trail runner

Jan 20, 2010
    4,841. Jan 17, 2013 10:35 AM (in response to Francessmom)

So glad for the good news!!!  Such a relief, hope the flu bug finds another home.  Take care!

Trail runner

Jan 20, 2010
    4,842. Jan 17, 2013 11:46 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

I posted on Deb's forum on RA under "az2mntrail' ............ will see if I like it.  Seems a little more active but time will tell.

Some runners tend to feel the need to be too serious and critical and use forums as a 'safe' place to let it go.

Main reason why I limit my 'social' networking.  

I enjoy our 'group' because it's so much more on being supportive no matter the individual's level and/or topic.

I really like the honest and thoughtful but competive input of our running goals intertwined with our personal/professional lives.  

Just my opinion .....

Trail runner

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,843. Jan 17, 2013 2:45 PM (in response to az2mn)

I love your opinion az - I agree.  We all mesh well together and each of us plays nicely in the sandbox.    But it's Melody's forum, not mine - credit where credit is due.  I'm curious about the User Groups on Runningahead.

Melody - it looks like you can start a User group that otherh people can join but they would have to go looking for it, unlike the open forums.  Then were are private UGs (User Groups) that are invitation only (I was browsing around).  I suppose this is the chance to try new things.  We just need to keep this site "active" (pardon the pun) until we are all in agreement and settled somewhere.

jmsab  "doing whatever the wife asks me to while she recuperates" <~~ You rock!

overslept (again), had to scrape the windshield despite  preheating the car and got to the Y 30 minutes later than I should have.  Only time for 2 miles on the TM before heading home to get ready for work and to get the boy out the door for school.  Tomorrow I will get up on time. . .  I hope.

Oct 4, 2011
    4,844. Jan 17, 2013 4:05 PM (in response to az2mn)

HRER IT IS!! http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MLRW/  Please come join me, everyone!!

This morning I ran a decent 7.5 miles on very snowy roads. What a winter wonderland it was! That gives me 18.5 miles so far for the week. 20 is my goal, so I'm almost there!

Francessmom Nice outdoor run with the pups! Yay for sunshine.

My Fine Art Website

For 2013:

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...