Skip navigation

2339 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2013 6:41 PM by Rebound23
Rebound23 Pro 99 posts since
Mar 16, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 10, 2013 10:45 PM

Game Day Jitters

How you guys doing? My team and I just suffered a major loss and it was pointed out to me that my ball handling is noticeably weaker on game day. I mean yeah I get a little nervous but I didn't think it affected me too much. I lose the ball or get it poked out by the defender during games but when I'm just playing with some friends they're solid. Could someone give me some tips on minimizing these pre-game butterflies as well as a few ball handling workouts? Anything and everything is appreciated!

• Coach Beez Legend 160 posts since
    Feb 4, 2010
    1. Jan 17, 2013 11:48 PM (in response to Rebound23)
    Game Day Jitters

My suggestion is to make sure that all the ball handling drills you do work on are done with your head up at ALL times. When you play pickup ball, a lot of times there is a lot of one-on-one play, requiring no need to see a cutter or the open man. When you play team ball, the coach often asks you to see the court. Thus, rather than practice with your eyes down, keep you eyes UP as you workout. I am sure you will gain in confidence, and thus make fewer turnovers.

Hope this helps.

Coach Beez

Yo, what up fools?: It's me, " THE MAN " , Zac Ryan. Even though I'm a cartoon character, I can still ball chump! So if you like basketball, then come check me out and read all my comic strips at:

www.zaciswack.com

I'm out.

• AJG252212 Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 15, 2012
    2. Jan 19, 2013 5:21 PM (in response to Rebound23)
    Game Day Jitters

Same thing happens to me too. I always end up trying to back down the defender. My coach told me to just dribble facing the defender no matter what. Even if hes all up on you , you'll either get a reaching foul or go right past him for a score or a kick to a teamate. Hope this helped.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points