Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22437 Views 98 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2013 6:06 PM by JustGlori Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 7 Previous Next
  • forbye Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 7, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jan 7, 2013 5:11 PM (in response to Melissa2013)
    Anyone else starting out 2013 with C25K?

Started just at the end of 2012, and am on w3d2. Didn't quite finish w3d2, caved halfway through the last 3 min run, will try again tonight/tomorrow.

I am a gen Y, not significantly overweight, but v unfit, have never really exercised in my life - so also doing lots of wheezing and puffing and walking with my hands on my knees at this stage, but I'm sure it will ease up.  I'm enjoying reading through threads of other people who have started/finished/are at some point on their c25k journey.

• forbye Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 7, 2013
    16. Jan 7, 2013 5:14 PM (in response to Melissa2013)

Btw Melissa2013, that's amazing that you're starting out on hills. I run for 10 seconds on a very slight incline and I get out of breath, so good on you for keeping jogging all the way through. We all go slow anyway, and experienced runners suggest going as slow as you need to - it's about making progress and getting fit, not sprinting to the finish. All the best.

• janetm67 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jan 1, 2013
    17. Jan 10, 2013 5:07 AM (in response to Melissa2013)

Hills are TOUGH.  My neighborhood is hilly as well so misery loves company.  On weekends I go to a local state park where there is a completely flat paved path and that is sooo much easier.  I still don't see how in the world I'll be able to do 5K in 30 minutes though...

• BeautifulMonster Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 10, 2013
    18. Jan 10, 2013 10:55 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

HI there!   I just started.  Just finished W1D3 (althoguh I did W1D1 twice with two different smartphone apps to test out both the apps and the route).  I am feeling really encouraged.  It's hard for me, because I am very unfit and somewhat overqweight, but not so hard that I can't do it yet.  I have never exercised or played sports or been active in any way.   The troubles I have so far are doing it in the dark (only time I can) by myself is a little scary...but I stick to the streetlights and stay close to the houses.  I wish I had daylight or a buddy, but it's this or nothing.  My 15yo daughter runs cross-country (don't know where she got *that* from) and she is doing the circuit with me on Sundays.  It's much too wimpy for her, but she is very supportive.  My goal is to join a local race that is scheduled for May.  There are others a little sooner, but I want to gove myself for more time.  Also, they are harder courses (hills and stuff).

I'm happy to have found this thread, it will be nhcie to have a little support group.

• Beki777 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 11, 2013
    19. Jan 11, 2013 12:27 PM (in response to BeautifulMonster)

Hi everyone!  I started last year, not exactly sure when...I think October.  I just finished Week 7 Day 3 today, but like a couple others on here, I haven't seen another thread that really seemed to fit for me.  Hopefully I can hang out with y'all.

I have not yet signed up for a 5K.  Waiting to find one close-ish to where I am, probably sometime in April or May. 

I am super impressed with those of you starting out on hills!  I had a hill in my first couple weeks and decided in the interest of keeping on keeping on I had better find somewhere flatter to run until I got a little more endurance under my belt.  Also, don't be afraid to repeat weeks.  I seriously think I repeated Week 1, Week 2, and Week 3 (I might have repeated week 3 three times...).  I had to repeat a day here and there in a couple other weeks, but I am now running the Week 7 - 25 minute runs and feeling pretty ok about it.  I'd probably still get passed by the the skipping 4 year old (I'm so slow.  Really, REALLY slow) every time I run..lol. 

This program is totally do-able, though...everyone who is just starting out, keep with it!  I'm overweight, hadn't run since high school (10+ years), and now I'm actually enjoying it.  It took about 4 weeks to get to the looking forward to running part, but now I do.  I sometimes hate it while I'm running, but I look forward to it before I get out there, sometimes enjoy it while I'm out there, and am proud of myself afterwards.  And apparently I keep getting out there, so it's possible that I may in fact be a runner after all...surprising. 

Don't give up runner on Week 8!!!  You are so close!  It might be the cleanse, really it might.  I have no expert or practical advice except that I think you can do it.  And I think you think you can do it too, deep down.

• Sengel67 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 12, 2013
    20. Jan 12, 2013 10:02 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I HATE running...I HATE runners...but I have come to the realization that it's all just been jealousy...jealous that I was sitting on my arse and they were actually doing something

So I just did the D1W1...on the treadmill....I dont think I will venture outside to run until I am actually running better. I have a few questions...

How does the phone app know my pace? The app said I did 0.6km but my treadmill said I did 1.87? I was joggin at 3.8 and slow walking at 3.2....Do I have to imput this somewherer on the app?

Cheers and good luck to everyone!

Sherry

• ScottJohnson31444 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 26, 2012
    21. Jan 12, 2013 2:09 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I started last week and just finished W2D1.  By the third time I had done the W1 workout, I was seeing progress.  But today was tougher with the longer jogging stints.  I can see that each new week will be a challenge.  I have walked a lot in the past, but this is my first attempt at jogging and I want to complete a 5K this year without walking.

• shorty5k Pro 111 posts since
    Dec 18, 2010
    22. Jan 13, 2013 5:45 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)
    Re: Anyone else starting out 2013 with C25K?

I think I will join this group. I will be starting C25K again after 2 successful completions of the program, but due to health issues I had to stop running both times once because of my health and once because of my wifes battle with cancer. Let me tell you if you follow the program it definatley works. Alittle about myself I am 48 and live in Pa, i have a wonderful wife and 2 older daughters anda 17 year old son who tries to keep me young. There is a local 5k on Apr. 21st that I want to run,because it is to raise money for Kids cancer programs. Also a friend of my wifes is sponsering a 5k for cancer awareness as her and my wife are both battling this dreaded disease. So I have lots of motivation this time.  I started on of these threads the first time I ran the program,threads like this deifinately help.   So good luck to everyone and may God Bless you.  Sorry to be so long winded.

Remember Keep Running.

Tom

"The long run is what puts the tiger in the cat"

Jan 10, 2013
    23. Jan 13, 2013 8:44 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I just did W2D1 with my daughter (she just keeps me company and motivates me, she runs x-country regularly).  I was a little worried, but I did it...just when I thoguht I could not finish.  I'm feeling encouraged, but it was COLD out there!  I hope it doesn't get any colder!

• lmaxin Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 16, 2013
    24. Jan 16, 2013 1:34 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I started C25K on Jan 7.  Last night I completed W2D2 - my first on a treadmill (I prefer to run outside if at all possible).  I am considered obese on the BMI chart (32.6) so part of my motivation for running is weight loss.  I love this program so far!  I love that you can walk and run as quickly or as slowly as you are comfortable - I've averaged about 3.5 mph walking and around 5 mph jogging so far.  I signed up for a 5K on April 21.  I'll be happy if I finish the race, but deep down inside I'd love to be able to finish in around 30 min.  I love the idea of this group!!

• ucongold Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 15, 2013
    25. Jan 18, 2013 12:03 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I just finished W1D2 and no problems. I do have questions though. I am using a treadmill since I like in the Arctic and cant run outside for many months.

My questions have to do with how fast to walk and run. I use an incline of 1 to simulate running outside. Since I am a newbie I am running at 3.7 for a few weeks and walking at 2.9. I just guessed at these, and dont know what to think. I wear a heart monitor that is personalized to my heart and even though I am talking on the phone to my sister, the monitor says I am in a high zone. So I am running at 3.7.

Can I ask what the rest of you are running at? What are you walking at? I am 49 pretty fit, but pretty overweight. I have a VO2Max level (average) of 28 which is average for my age. So I guess I need to be patient..

What do you all use as limits?

C to 5k - Start Jan 14, 2013.

• Aspen8 Amateur 17 posts since
    Mar 29, 2011
    26. Jan 19, 2013 2:56 PM (in response to ucongold)

Ucongolg -

I think you should go ahead and let your monitor and your gut be your guides and not worry too much about the actual numbers.  I've never seen anything written that tells you what pace you "should" run for this program.  If it's good cardio exercise for you, then it's good cardio exercise for you.  When it's too easy, either your gut or your monitor will tell you to speed up.  Know what I mean?  My walking speed tends to be somewhere around 3.2-3.5mph and my jogging around 4.2-4.5 ish.  I'm doing the program outside and I have no real idea what the speeds are other than the fact that I'm using the android App for this program (which I like a lot) and it tells you how many minutes/mile your average is...sooo....doing the math, those speeds are what I'm coming up with.  The paved trail I'm using is fairly flat with only small, subtle level changes.  I've tried to actually slow down because my breathing is so bad but it feels awkward....so I'm going with that for now...and I'm not planning on trying to speed up at all.  If it happens naturally, great.  If not, and I run my first 5K at 4.2mph, fabulous.  Who cares?  If I get that far, I can always work on going faster later, right? 

Mar 29, 2011
    27. Jan 19, 2013 3:12 PM (in response to reachteresa)

Hi reachteresa!

Did you try it again?  How did it go?

Regarding inspiration, I have a few thoughts:

1.  Every time I've attempted this, I'm actually NOT bored when the intervals are short because I'm so actively engaged with the timing (and the gasping and wheezing.  Lol).  I start to get bored when the intervals are longer.  I have no idea how I'm going to handle that this time around to try to make it better but I was thinking that maybe there would be a way for me to add shorter intervals into the longer intervals even then.  Like.....i don't know what the week 8 program is, but could you incorporate something different for 30- 60- second increments?  Faster?  Slower?  Backwards (Don't laugh...I saw it on the trail the other day)?  Something with your arms?  Just a thought?

2.  Audio book on  your ipod?  Would that help?  Something that's really engaging?

3.  Coincidentally, I'm listening to an audiobook right now called Born To Run.  I read it once before and am now listening while I drive.  It's really good.  If you haven't heard of it, it's about the Tarahumara Indians of the Sierra Madre (Copper Canyon) in Mexico.  They are "The Running People."  They routinely run 50, 100, 200 miles....for fun.  All of them....young, old, male, female.  Up and down the mountains on "dental floss trails" as the author puts it.  The author's argument is that the Tarahumara are not an anomoly, but rather that they still know how to do what we've all been genetically programmed to do for millenia....we just stopped doing it when we became "civilized."  They still aren't "civilized."  The book is full of amazing stories of the Tarahumara and of incredible American runners.  I already had reasons for wanting to try running again but that book gives me more reasons.  It's very inspiring.

4.  Lastly, was there a week when you really enjoyed the workouts and then it started getting a little harder to keep up with the week-by-week progress?  If so, what would happen if you went back to that week and progressed more slowly?

Just some thoughts from someone who thinks you're awesome for having gotten as far as you have! 

Mar 29, 2011
    28. Jan 19, 2013 3:32 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

Next week I'll be doing the week 1 workout again...for the 4th week in a row.     I guess that should be a frownie face but it really doesn't bother me right now how slowly I progress.  Turns out I have a little bit of cold-induced bronchiospasms issue.  I've been having to do all of my workouts with a scarf around my mouth and nose.  If it gets worse, I'll need to get an inhaler or move inside to a treadmill.  I think between that, the abysmal level of my cardiovascular and muscular conditioning, and the excess weight I'm lugging around, the 9 week program is just way, way, way too fast for me. Oh - and the fibromyalgia.   I've been taking care of everyone else in my life and ignoring my own body for so long...I can't expect to fix it in 9 weeks.  Or even 16.  I'm over the whole deadline thing.  It's a mistake I make every single time I start a fitness program:  Unrealistic expectations in an unrealistic time frame.  Not this time!

For the first time on my 8th w1 workout, I FINALLY felt like I'm starting to recover my breath a little better during the walking periods.  I'm still sucking wind and wheezing enough to sound like I need an ambulance but I'm starting to feel like I'm seeing progress.  I'm happy with that.  My legs however, are a different story.  My legs were much more tired, much more quickly this time than ever before.  I really had to struggle to make myself keep going.  My shins were burning and my legs felt like they weighed 100 pounds each.  Not sure what's up with that.  We'll see if it continues.

But anyway....for once in my life (and I hope I can sustain this because it's very UNLIKE my normal type-A personality) I'm chilling out about the whole thing.  This can't NOT work.  Right?  Even if it takes half of forever, science tells me that this will work.  I will improve.  So it's going to take longer than I want it to.  So what?  I have to put on my big girl pants and be patient. 

I really, really, REALLY want to be one of those people who have the little white oval magnet on the back of their car that reads "13.1", signifying that they have run a half marathon.  I really want that.  I don't know why.  But I don't want to hate every second of those 13.1 miles.  It's okay if I hate the last couple but I want to actually ENJOY running for the most part.  So that means that I need to learn to enjoy running 1/15 of a mile.  Or 1 minute.  SO....if I want that 13.1 magnet, I have to do this.  This is my only job right now...it's all I have to do:  Go out and do the week 1 workout until it feels good.  That's it.  If I go too fast and hate it, I'll stop.  So I don't need to worry about my 5K on 4/20 or my half-marathon someday.  Right now....all I have to worry about is alternating 1 minute of jogging with 1 1/2 minutes of walking 8 times until my body and my heart and lungs say, "Yeah...we're cool with that.  Now you can go on to step 2." 

So be it.  There is where I am now.  It's way worse than I thought.  It is what it is.  Wherever I am in this program on 4/20 is what I'll do on the course for that 5K. 

Jan 10, 2013
    29. Jan 22, 2013 7:45 AM (in response to Aspen8)

I just spent a week on the couch, sick, watching videos and eating every sugary, starchy thing in the house.   I'm discouraged.  But I hope that now that I feel better I can start up again.  I don't know if I should start over from W1D1 or just from where I left off (W2D3 was going to be my next workout) and see how it feels.  How have all of you coped with interruptions, by illness or otherwise?  I'm glad to see people are repeating workouts.....it was making me super sad to think of having to repeat; but now I see it's just part of the process.

1 2 3 4 ... 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...