Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6962 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2013 2:57 PM by VINCELEANO
NellG Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 17, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 17, 2013 9:21 PM

Legs can't keep up!! Advice needed PLEASE  :D

Hi,

I'm training for a 5km roadrace in July and the problem I'm having is that my legs can't keep up. Let me explain, I've had MS for 16+ years. I've been training since the start of December, walking 5 km as fast as I can 5 days a week. And now I'm including running C25K 3 days a week as well.

I'm not super fit, I do the 5km walk in 49 minutes. And I don't struggle with my breathing with the intervals (C25K), but my legs fatigue and just won't go any faster. Should I massage them more? Is there something I don't know about that might fix this or help me improve? I've knocked 5 mins off the walk time (outside) since I started, and I've increased the speed on the C25K (treadmill) 4 clicks since starting 3 weeks ago, so I am improving aside from this.

Any help much appreciated!! I have no idea where to start, if Im doing not enough or too much or whatever.

And my neurologist is supportive of me running btw.

Thanks in advance!!!

N

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Jan 18, 2013 7:48 AM (in response to NellG)
    Legs can't keep up!! Advice needed PLEASE :D

Hi Nell,

I wonder if you're trying to do too much too soon.  You've only been doing the C25K for 3 weeks and already showing improvement, plus you've knocked 5 minutes off your walk time. 

I don't see where you're adding rest days into your schedule either, and they're important.  Basically, you have to give your body time to adapt to the stresses you're throwing at it and you do that with rest days.

I know MS affects the way your muscles fire and that may be holding you back as well, but make sure you're getting the rest you need, my take is you probably need to back off a bit.

And congratulations, you're doing really well.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• holla2 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 15, 2008
    2. Jan 18, 2013 8:04 AM (in response to NellG)

Nell,

Have you been incorporating jogs/runs into your walks, or only running on the treadmill?

You say your're not "super fit", but depending on your starting point it may take more time than the C25K estimates.

Don't worry about it!

It may take more time for your muscles to catch up, but you're doing the right things and you're already off the couch!!!

Good luck in July and remember, everybody crosses the same finish line!

Steve

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    3. Jan 18, 2013 9:28 PM (in response to NellG)

If I'm reading this right you're worried because you can't go faster?  The biggest thing about C25K is increasing your endurance.  Once you finish and are comfortable with the distance, as long as you keep at it after "graduation" your pace will start to come down.

• mxkieran Rookie 8 posts since
    Oct 14, 2007
    4. Jan 23, 2013 12:15 PM (in response to NellG)

Cross-training may be helpful.  Hit the weight room. Do some bicycling.  This will also prevent injuries.

• AndyGuevara Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 7, 2008
    5. Jan 23, 2013 12:36 PM (in response to NellG)

One of the things I struggle with after a layoff from running is my calves burning so much I have to stop and walk. If that's what you're experiencing, then I would advise walking at that point. Don't try to push through because the fatigue is preventing proper functioning of your muscles and it takes even longer to get through this phase. Massage does help a lot because it loosens the fascia surrounding the muscle and allows it to expand rather than constrict.

This can be frustrating, but it's temporary and will get better.

• ydiez Pro 140 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    6. Jan 24, 2013 1:36 AM (in response to NellG)

As people have already said, just try not to do too much too soon, slowly increase yout mileage and speed and do not be affraid to walk if you have to. Also remember to plan for enough rest days so you do not get overtired. Finally, another type of cross-training that is often not considered is swimming, it will help you increase your pulmonary capacity while at the same time helping you relax your leg muscles.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time! The goal is set for March 15th (tentatively at 3h20min, but it sound like science fiction at the moment so I might adjust it down).

• VINCELEANO Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 7, 2012
    7. Jan 25, 2013 2:57 PM (in response to NellG)

HI NELL

MY NAME IS VINCE. I AM 50 YEARS OLD AND I HAVE BEEN RUNNING FOR EVER. I HAVE HAD 20 YEARS OF DEALING WITH BAD KNEES.WITHIN THE PAST FEW YEARS I HAVE HAD TO RELEARN RUNNING PAIN FREE.I DONT RUN RACES ANY MORE BUT I RUN 150MILES A MONTH.LISTEN TO WHAT YOUR BODY IS TELLING YOU SLOWDOWN HAVE FUN SET SMALL GOALS AND THANK GOD EVERY DAY HE ALLOWS YOU TO STEP OUT YOUR DOOR TO RUN.GOOD LUCK HAVE FUN

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...