Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

795 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2013 8:48 PM by QincyNL RSS
hayes55987a Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 27, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 27, 2012 3:51 PM

Peroneal Nerve injury?

I've been battling a leg injury for several months now

Original Post: http://community.active.com/message/1211083#1211083

and have recently come back from the orthopedic. I have gone through PT (Assumed it was an ITB injury and to stretch it) and recently finished an MRI and orthopedic surgeon visit.

The MRI came back perfectly normal and the orthopedic agreed it was nothing and ITB. The symptoms of pain are still there occasionally when I sit cross legged and my foot is pointed towards the floor.

I'm not sold on the ITB yet as I have just come off 5 weeks of total rest (nothing) and still have the same lower level. I've moved on to the Peroneal nerve injuries and am trying to get a second diagnosis.

The orthopedic surgeon said it was very rare to injure this and that the odds of this happening are not very good. I wasn't to satisfied with this answer as I'd rather have him diagnose me on symptoms rather then probability but that is what I was left with.

My thoughts are:
Pulled my hamstring

Stretched/foam rolled, etc and in the end, ended up with a nerve impingement.

The hamstring has been fixed but I now have this nerve I am dealing with. As I run more and more, the inflammation increases and so does the nerve findings. As I stop running and rest, inflammation goes away and the nerve irritation subsides.

Am I close or should I just listen to the orthopedic doctor?

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,147 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    1. Dec 2, 2012 6:08 AM (in response to hayes55987a)
    Peroneal Nerve injury?

Sorry to hear of your pain. What is the reasoning behind the belief that a nerve impingement might be the only explanation for your pain, apart from a tight hamstring or muscle pull?

There are many, many involved tissues capable of generating this annoying pain, aside from the ITB, which in some cases can indeed contort into knots. Focus on what is getting stretched during the pain-producing movements (including the muscles that tension the ITB), and examine whether your exercise regimen overuses this tissue, whether other activities (such as sitting) abuse it, or whether your recover periods fail to release it fully so it can heal.

Meanwhile, I would avoid relying too much on either the foam roller or stretches you have been using, because they may be part of the problem in the first place. A good thing in moderation becomes an irritation when done to excess. Think of it this way: A good massage can feel good, but if it lasted for hours and hours you would be screaming to get off the table. Your tissues may not be able to talk, but they can communicate via pain. It doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong with the nerve, but that it might be working as it should.

• QincyNL Amateur 10 posts since
    Aug 31, 2009
    2. Jan 19, 2013 8:48 PM (in response to hayes55987a)
    Peroneal Nerve injury?

It sounds like you are refering to something around the fibular head or lateral knee.   Both ITB and peroneals are a good start but if your doc is not palpating the areas to confirm or rule out his finding he is not taking enough time with you.  Facts are, even with abnormal imaging you can have no pain, and vis versa...  Have someone who is experienced in muscular anatomy check out the area.  On the treatment side, I would not go too hard on the foam roll, balls etc since I have seen people bruise themselve and "compress" the tissues (which compression is also a mechanism of injury so it could be making it worse).  I have used ART on the area and very happy with the success in combination with eccentric exercise and proprioceptive training.

Here a peroneal video to reference http://www.p2sportscare.com/pain-relief-huntington-beach-ca/how-can-this-help-my-injury/peroneal-tendonitis/

Here's one on ITB http://www.p2sportscare.com/pain-relief-huntington-beach-ca/how-can-this-help-my-injury/it-band-syndrome-itbs/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...