Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

753 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2013 5:15 PM by Stacey27557 RSS
Stacey27557 Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 20, 2013 5:18 PM

Breathing daggers on cold weather runs!

Okay, I am NOT a runner, but I do it because I'm not 18 anymore and cardio is required to stay fit.  I know my limits, and I've been able to extend those limits with patience and persistence.  But, now that the temps have dropped in our area, I'm struggling.  I find that a mile into my runs I'm breathing hot daggers into my lungs, and my chest continues to throb after my runs, too.  I drink warm water when I get home.  That seems to help a little, but it's very discouraging.  Is this just something that you get over?  Is there a breathing technique that I don't know?  HELP!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,333 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jan 20, 2013 8:47 PM (in response to Stacey27557)

It may be something you can get used to, depending on temperature, but some people have problems in cold air.  Meanwhile, you can get a neck gaiter or a scarf or a ski mask/balaclava to cover your mouth and/or nose.  It makes it a little harder to breath but definitely helps with the temperature.  I have a thin balaclava that I use when temps get to the low 20s/teens.

Len

Len

• ydiez Pro 121 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    2. Jan 21, 2013 3:16 AM (in response to Stacey27557)

I also wear a thin "Buff" ( I am not sure wheteher this is actually a brand name but do not know the correct name in English). In case anyone does not know, it is a thin elastic, closed neck scarf (see, for example http://figmentoffitness.wordpress.com/2012/03/16/rockin-my-buff/ for some images). 

What did the trick for me is wearing it only over my neck, surprisingly enough, even though I stil take in the cold air it does not hurt  as it used to. In very cold days, I wear it also over my nose and mouth as lenzlaw suggested, but I try not to as I find it quite unconfortable.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points