Share your experiences with the 8th Annual Clearwater Halfathon, 5-Miler & 5K Fitness Walk below Back to event details page.
Best, scenic 1/2 marathon in the Tampa Bay area. Great race, great views, challenging course and well run.
Ran the 2013.
- Scenic course, particularly for those who were doing the half or the 5 miler.
- Challenging course. Much of the course website refers to it as flat, but there are numerous bridges and overpasses throughout the course
- Postrace party and spread were well planned, and there was plenty of beer.
- Nice , beautiful Medal
- Plenty of water stops, and as a nice touch they call out your name at the finish line, which feels really good when you're ran that far.
- They need to work on corralling runners by speed groups, especially when starting all the races at once. It was very disorganized at the start, and with a narrow path it made things more hectic than they needed to be.
- There were early parts of the race where they needed more running room, such as the sand key bridge where they didn't block a lane of traffic. This was potentially dangerous.
- Not so much a con, but a reminder to those who enter. Check the weather. We had a beautiful day for running, but I imagine heat and wind can be an issue. Its Florida, so do your homework and prepare.
While this was one of the most challenging race courses I would NEVER recommend this race to anyone in the future for several reasons.
I ran the 5 mile race in just under an hour, at age 52, only to find no timed results listed on the official web page. Why? still haven't gotten an answer from race officials.
The 5 mile runners got no medal as an accomplishment. Why? are 5 miler running considered 2nd class runners? I've run many a 5K were medals are given out.
and lastly, on a 5 mile course there was just 1 water station. i always bring my own water but that's not the point. It's a safety issue IMO.
While I'm proud that I finished the race in under an hour and had to concur the Clearwater Bridge twice doing it I've been treated like I never ran the race in the first place.
Scenic course with many challenges (4 bridges) and very well organized. Much kudos go out to the many volunteers and spectators that make this a fun race! Great job as always to Chris Lauber!
Only complaint I have is the need for more port-a-lets prior to the race. A 20 minute wait is too long and I would recommend doubling the number next time. I would gladly pay a few more dollars on the entry fee not to have this stress before a race.
ACTIVE is the leader in online event registrations from 5k running races and marathons to softball leagues and local events. ACTIVE also makes it easy to learn and prepare for all the things you love to do with expert resources, training plans and fitness calculators.