Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14904 Views 47 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2013 10:00 AM by biibibi RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Deborah Stauber Kessler Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 24, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jan 9, 2013 9:36 PM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

As for the questions

1. What are your goals? I know a lot of you already put your weight goals and time-to-completeion. Please reiterate that here.

2. What is your motivation?

3. How are you keeping yourself accountable?

1.  I would like to lose 23-25 pounds by April

2.  My motivation is to fit in the clothes in my closet. I might be going on a trip to Vegas or San Francisco with my husband in April and I'd like to be able to wear pretty clothes

3.  I hope that being part of this group will help keep me accountable.

• KimberlySmith217 Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 7, 2011
    Weight Loss Buddies III

1. What are your goals?

1.  Lose a total of 43 pounds, 20 by the end of April (Started at 183, want to get to 140. So far I'm down 2 since 1/2).

Finish my first full marathon in the fall of 2013.

Not get injured or cranky from over-training.

Develop and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

2.  Fit back into clothes that fit 2 years ago.

Be more comfortable in my own skin.

Get healthier.

3.  Posting here.

Food journal daily - everything gets recorded regardless of whether I'll be over the calorie goal for the day.  (No sense lying to myself, now is there?)

Husband & I gave ourselves a treadmill for Christmas to eliminate the scheduling issues we were both running into during the week when it came to our shorter runs.  (Getting the long runs in on the weekend is the easiest part.)

Write down goal mileage/minutes or cross-training activity on the family calendar on the fridge for the next 4 months.

Registered for Nike Women's Half in DC on April 28th and Philly Rock'n'Roll Half on Sept 15th, so there's two races already committed to (& paid for).

I've told family & friends that I'm doing a full in 2013, so now I have to do it.
         Need to choose a fall full marathon & then register for it.

Ask for help if I get off track.

• TwinsAt50 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 11, 2013
    17. Jan 11, 2013 9:14 AM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

Hi Everyone.

1. What are your goals?

My goal is to lose 20 lbs. That would put me at about 145, which is still higher than I should be as I'm only 5'2". However, I know I would feel really good at that weight. I would like to lose the 20 lbs by June.

My motivation is my life and my family. I'm 52 years old and gave birth to twins two years ago. I definitely need more energy. Also, I was diagnosed with pulmonary sarcoidosis in August after a lung biopsy. Sarcoidosis is an inflammitory and auto-immune disease and I am hoping that by adopting a more healthy lifestyle, I can slow or stop the progression.

1. I am tracking my food via MyPlate on www.Livestrong.com.
      2. I just started the C25k yesterday.
      3. I also am using a FitBit to monitor my steps - aiming for a minimum of 10,000 steps per day, which takes a lot of effort as I have a desk job and could easily spend 9 hours sitting.

The year before I got pregnant, I was able to lose 25 lbs with the help of a trainer. I managed to eat extremely well during the pregnancy and didn't end up with additional weight, but it has crept back on me in the past couple of years. I don't have the money for a trainer this time around and also, with the kids and working full time, my schedule is much, much tighter - so getting to the gym or out for walks/runs will take more effort than it ever has. I've never been a runner, so doing a real "run" seems rather scary. I'm determined to get healthy this for me and for my family.

• orlpatsfan Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 13, 2013
    18. Jan 13, 2013 4:12 AM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

Hello;  I'm 42 and in the worst shape of my life @ 5 -8 and 200 # This past week I've tried some classes in martial arts and I like it as much as I did 23 years ago. So yes I'm going to start doing that again;  But my endurance is almost none.  A short run and I'm winded.  I just found this site today and I'm interested to get started. C25K will be a part of my new training.  Wish me luck.  Dennis

• TVAMB Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 30, 2009
    20. Jan 16, 2013 10:25 AM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

Hello, I'd like to join this group too. I'm 40 years old and my highest weight was 230lbs. I weight myself dailyon Friday mornings (works best for my schedule) and my weight last week was 217.6lbs. I' 5'7" so I'd be happy around 130-140lbs. Who am I kidding. would love to be a toothpick and wear whatever I want but I want to do it the right way.  I've done 1 5k/year for the last 3 years and definately not setting any records. I've started using the start running and so I do see progess.

1. Main goal - lose enough weight to get pregnant again. (lost baby 6 month in and been trying since) 2nd goal stay off Metformin (pre-diabetic). I was recently told I could stop taking the pills but having a hard time sticking to diet & exercise. I'm afraid I'll be put back on.

2. Motivation - start family. As much as I want a family I still have a hard time doing what needs to be done. Would be nice if I had support since husband's support is sporatic at best.

3. I weigh myself daily just to monitor but I count only my Friday morning weigh-in. Because of my schedule I count that as my Monday or beginning of the week. Since I've change to this format I find it more motivating because I can see my progess for the week. Plus I can see how hydration fits in and when my monthly is coming due. I ususally spike 2-3 lbs. right before.

Looking forward to chatting with all of you.

• KimberlySmith217 Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 7, 2011
    21. Jan 17, 2013 12:45 PM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

So here it is the 17th of January, about 2 weeks since the original post, and I wonder how everyone's doing.  What's working and what's not?  What are you doing about it?  And, maybe most important, what do you need help/support with?

So, I'll jump in:
    1/5 182 lbs.

1/17 179.2 lbs.

I have to keep reminding myself that the weight didn't go on overnight and it's unrealistic to assume it will come off overnight (but it would be nice if it did, wouldn't it?).

What's working - writing down everything I eat & keeping track of calories. I use an app called myfitnesspal to do this.  It's kind of impossible to unknowingly overeat when you're honestly tracking everything.  At this point, this is an important tool in reaching my goal.  I will keep doing this.

What's not really working - sticking to my exercise schedule.  I need to improve at this.  We did have a bit of a family crisis last week that has legitimately thrown my schedule for a bit of a loop, but there were days that I could have fit my workout in and I didn't.  The crazy part of this is that I feel better & less stressed when I stick to my scheduled runs & yoga, but I am less likely to workout when stressed.  Not sure what I am going to do to make exercise less "optional".  A buddy would help. Text or email to be accountable to someone else.  Classic case of taking care of everyone & everything else first & then seeing if I can fit myself in.

• 50andfab Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 1, 2010
    22. Jan 18, 2013 8:53 PM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

Count me in too!  I have about 20 lbs to lose. I've been running for 3 years and recently completed a half marathon. Still not losing weight. I have to get an eating p,an that works and I'm struggling. I'm trying to eat as natural as I can along with a gluten free diet. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Good luck to us all

Mel

• Tululahh Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 20, 2013
    23. Jan 20, 2013 12:25 PM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

I would love to join you all. I have 5 pounds a month to lose for the next 15 months. I find it's much easier to set small 5 pound goals per month. I write them on a calender my goal 5 pounds and mark it off as I go. But my main main goal is to have energy and feel wonderful.  I had a acheived my goal weight in 2007 after a year of hard work and ended up getting pregnant. SUPRISE!  We were told after our daughter in 1992 we could not have anymore. So basically I am starting the journey all over again but this time with fitness as my main goal and not actual pant size or numers.

My daughter and I registered for the Disney run in AUG I am doing the 5k she is doing is doing the 10k. Now it would be great if I was able to do the 10 k but since I have never been huge on excercise I am trying not set unabtainable goals and to set more things that I can accomplish and feel great doing it.

To start out I need some good fast paced walking shoes with good support and cushion my this curvy gal. Any suggestions?

Any help on how to start out with this goal? and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks So much!

Jamie

• rb77 Amateur 37 posts since
    Oct 20, 2010
    24. Jan 20, 2013 6:11 PM (in response to 50andfab)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

It's been 2 weeks since I posted and I've gained 3 lbs. The scale must be broken!!!!

I have to wrap my head around losing weight. I spent part of this weekend trying to think of something that will work for me.

For starters, I have a few things I'm going to try.

Scheduling workouts/runs and not blowing them off. Includes getting everything ready the night before.

Tangible, achievable short term goals.

Going to bed earlier. I eat pretty clean for most of the day, and sabatage myself late at night.

So I'll start at 198 and go from there.

• MissMary417 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 21, 2013
    25. Jan 21, 2013 6:11 PM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Re: Weight Loss Buddies III

Hi all. My name is Mary. I am new to this community but not new to trying to lose weight and gain back control of my life. My highest recorded weight was 290 I have lost 88 pounds to date. I can always use more accountability.

To answer the questions:

1. What are your goals? To be a normal weight, to be active again. To reach my goal weight of 150.

2. What is your motivation? Health and of course vanity. I love the options you have at a smaler size

3. How are you keeping yourself accountable? i use facebook support and accountability groups, i use my fitnes pal and I blog.

Here's to us.

Attachments:

Miss Mary

• andie_cath Rookie 1 posts since
    May 10, 2010
    26. Jan 23, 2013 8:56 AM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

I too am trying to lose weight.  I currently weigh 245 but want to weigh 150.  I work out daily and eat healthy but portion control has always been an issue for me. My goal is to get to my goal weight by my 50th birthday (1 ½ years from now), but I also want to enjoy the journey of getting there – feeling healthy, looking fit.  My motivation came from an unlikely source – an old boyfriend from 30 years ago whom I have recently reconnected with via email and phone.  He told me that I was the hottest girl he had ever gone out with.  That made me sad because I don’t feel very hot right now.  I told myself that I want to be that “hot girl” that he remembers, even if he never sees me again. I use Fitbook to keep track of my eating and exercise.  I have used one for a long time but I wasn’t using it the right way.  Just writing things down doesn’t work for me, if I don’t go back and look at what I was doing and make adjustments.  This year I am taking the time to analyze the week before (and more) to see what is working for me and what isn’t.  I made two big changes in the last week - I recently realized that I could eat half the portion I normally would at lunch and still have the energy to workout.  In fact, I feel better because I’m not as full.  Also, I switched my breakfast from a smooth to a proportioned breakfast sandwich.  I haven’t noticed a big drop in my weight, but I have noticed that I feel better and that my workouts are improving. So I hope to find some other like-minded people who can share ideas and inspirations while we all travel down this road!

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    27. Jan 23, 2013 10:07 AM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

Started my weightloss with a Dr in sept  2012 beause I was  becoming very unhealthy and needed to change it or Die.  I also started my C25K at that time also.  Ran my first 5k last Nov, and My Mom got very sick so had to take a break. I am back at it with one exception, a minor R knee ACL tear and fracture so I will be walking my 3 mi instead of jogging.  I have a 5K coming up in March, the hot chocolate challenge,that I am hoping to run,but  may be walking. I figure with chocolate at the end of the race I will be REALLY motivated to improve my time :-)  I have currently lost 68lbs since sept and my first goal is 100, so more than 1/2 way.  My bloodwork has shown I have vastly improved my health and am no longer prediabetic, my motivation.  My weight loss has currently hit a wall and I am getting frusttrated but trying to power through without giving up.  I was sad that the thread of C25K runners I started with kind of stopped at Christmas and hoping to find some new inspiration here.  I keep myself accountable with my monthly Dr visits and by posting my activity. I have 2 1/2 more weeks in my brace walking runs then an MRI to make sure my knee has healed then fingers crossed I can get back to running.  I'm not having any pain in my knee unless I twist it so i am hopefull.

• MooseJ Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 12, 2011
    28. Jan 23, 2013 12:59 PM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

Hello, I would like to join this group if it is not too late! I have been struggling with my weight for the past few years ... last Christmas (2011) I tipped the scale at 180lbs. That is also when my boyfriend proposed to me! So I have been motivated to lose weight for the wedding. I am 23 yrs old, 5' 7" with a somewhat athletic build. I was able to lose about 15 lbs last year but I have recently plateaued at 165 lbs and can't seem to break that. My ultimate goal is 145 lbs. but I would at least like to be 150-155 by my wedding this May. I am currently training for my 3rd half marathon, so I have the excercising down pretty good but I have a problem with consuming too many calories and snacking too much. I have been using myfitnesspal which has seemed to help but I've still been fluctuating back and forth a few lbs. Anyway, I hope some sort of accountability will help me reach my goal!

• NotBonJovi Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    29. Jan 30, 2013 8:19 AM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Re: Weight Loss Buddies III

Hope I am not too late to join this group. I rarely come to this website as I usually read their newsletter and delete it. But the recent newsletter had a link to this discussion group and it caught my eye. I am glad I found this group.

I used to be 5' 10" but recent check-up at the doctor's showed my height as 5' 9". Is it possible to actually lose an inch from your height?!? Sadly, my weight has been steadily creeping up. I started running in 2007 and the last I ran was the NYC marathon in 2011.I stopped running after that due to loss of my mother at that time.

Like andie_cath I will be 50 in 1 ½ years from now. Last I checked my weight was somewhere between 187-189 lbs. I would like to weigh 150 lbs though realistically I will be happy if I can lose 30 some pounds and come down to 155 lbs. My goal is to get back to running and run a 5K in near future, a ½ marathon during mid-year and finish a full-marathon by year-end.

I have a desk job and come home and plop myself on the couch and watch TV. I want to soak up the motivation from this group to break this habit to get moving, start exercising, lose weight and live healthy.

Looking forward to sharing our experiences.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...