Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

950834 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 311 312 313 314 315 Previous Next
  • mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Congratulations Marie!!!!  Of course you did it. I never doubted for a minute that you would because you are the Mega Mighty Master!!! So very awesome!! You are my new role model. Sorry about the toe nail but sometimes battle scars can be neat, particularly if they don't hurt. You plowed through some pretty stinky weather! Hope you were able to get some memorable moments at the parks with the grandkids, too. It's a magical place.

Kathy, you and AZ are my other role models!! Waiting to hear about your HM.

Az, your level of energy constantly amazes me! on the hunt for a gym, we may be spoiled here in Cincy but I have excellent new enormous facility for $25/mo. including group classes. There's a full ladies' locker room with sauna, showers, and TVs behind the mirrors. I don't need the TVs or sauna but I know a woman who likes to heat up her clothes in it. If you sweat a lot, it feels good to change into dry clothes before going out into the cold. Probably healthier, too. It has a movie theater filled with cardio and a totally black light spinning room. I've had all of this in smaller gyms except the theater. Tried it once and wasn't comfortable. My faves are TMs in good condition with TV, ellipticals, bikes and the rest is gravy. You should be able to find a place that offers more than cubbies unless you are not near a large urban area.

Ray, good luck with your comeback! Don't let it frustrate you. It may seem slow in the beginning, but not too soon after you get going you'll see big leaps, like when you were a newbie, you could only add 10% but now that you're conditioned and once you're body is ready you'll be able to add 25% a week. Enjoy!!

Debra and Dan, enjoy those New Shoes!! I love my Sacouny! Slipped on a really old pair of Asics one day last week just for getting around and found that night my knees hurt. I'm blaming the shoes.

Dan, you said you adjusted your Max aerobic HR up. What made you choose the new range (other than speed)? Can you tell when you're going from a training rate into an aerobic rate and your HR is getting too high (without looking)? Have you been doing this long? Have you seen any rise in your aerobic level pace? I just finished my first week and started by measuring my pace at 121 (15mm) and 127 (12:30) and then it promptly dropped. I found three calculators associated with Maffetone that give me very different results with Max aerobic HRs of 111, 121, 127 (if you interpret it differently), and 126 to 135. I prefer using the highest value but understand the thought behind staying UNDER you max aerobic HR and if it works, want to do this. I just wish I could tell when my body is doing what. Yesterday ran 8 mi. outside trying to stay in the 121-127 range. Max HR was 134. Often went through short periods of feeling slightly light headed and faint, like something odd was going on inside for about a min and then it passed. I kept wondering if that was my body's switch from burning carbs to burning fat or if it was just bc I still have a cold. does this sound familiar? I guess I could just relax bc if this doesn't work, I'll find out in two more weeks and I"m still covering ground although toward the end of yesterday's *run*, my shadow was bopping up and down more than forward. I must have looked ridiculous. Just FYI, it's slow but you might be able to stay at 126 for an hour at 3.4 on TM just adjusting the incline after you're warmed up.

Re: change over, I'll anyone with a preference and more experience decide and will follow. I contribute to My Last Run and we are talking about changing but I haven't seen any change yet. Could have missed it though. Am buried in work and trying to install kitchen at the same time. I need a hug in the worst way. Tried to get company for just one weekend outing and was rebuffed by SIX friends and got a cold shoulder from one at a group run on Sat!! I don't like feeling sorry for myself but this feels awful. I don't plan ahead bc always canceling if the weather's good to get my run in outside. The price for training is high.

Run strong and enjoy, friends!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,681. Jan 21, 2013 12:26 PM (in response to mkayc)
    50 and over, 5k and beyond - what are your challenges?

MaryKay~((HUGS)) heading your way! Wish we lived closer, I'd enjoy running with you. So jealous of your health club.  We have a few good ones, but $$$ and the location that would work for me comps membership for the nearby medical complex, so it is always crowded. So I try do to it on the cheap at home.  Kitchen intalls are a big headache, but bathroom remodels trump it!  Hang in there, you're going to be SO thankful when it's done! 

Ray~Hope your second run was pain free and all systems are go!

Dan~Other than the gusty wind, it was great running weather UNTIL this morning.  Wow--what a drop in temperature!  I think the windchill is -5 degrees in my old house.  Stay safe.  When are you beginning training for DCHM?

AZ~Awesome you found a health club you like.

Kathy~You are amazing!  Loved your race report, and hope last Saturday's HM was great, too!

Marie~Thought of you all last week.  I bet you had the time of your life!  Hope it's a smooth transition back to "real life" after Disney.

Ran my LSD of 11.19 miles at the indoor track, which is an all time distance record for me there.  Feeling good, and trying some new refueling options.  I'm going to try Marie's idea of dried dates, easier to carry than a banana.  Yesterday DS1 and I watched the start and the first M and F runners finish the Icebreaker Indoor Marathon at the track.  Great event!  Some people like watching paint dry, I like watching running events!  Many runners also had run the indoor half marathon the day before for the Gold Challenge.  Many of the participants run along side me at the track, so it was great to cheer on some buddies!  No wind, no hills and temps inside are about 50 degrees.  Maybe the indoor HM next year for me, DS is running his first marathon this year.

Runs strong friends!

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011

MK,  Sorry you couldn't find anyone to run with.  Good luck with your kitchen.  Last weekend I ripped out the counters and sink.  Got the new counters in and new farmer's sink mostly in late Sunday.  Took a couple of tries to get all the pipes and fittings, so didn't get the sink hooked up until Wednesday.  Got the new tile backsplash up and grouted this weekend.  A bit more work on the tiles and then caulk along the countertops and sink and I'll be done (wife want to paint the cabinets). Can't wait to have a working kitchen again.

Debra, nice run!   Longest training run for me is only 10 miles.  Keep it up.

Dan,  Thanks for the info!

My test run got pushed to Saturday and cut it short at 1/2 mile.  Leg didn't feel right, not really pain, but felt tight.  Things usually feel better by 1/2 mile point, but it didn't.  Immediately iced it for 1/2 hour and then went back to work on the kitchen.  Walking around was fine, but by the evening there was a bit of soreness. Walking seems to be fine, so figure I'll be walking for the next couple of weeks and then I'll try again.  Sigh...

Ray

• WDWRich Amateur 17 posts since
    Feb 1, 2012

Hi everyone.  This is the first time in a couple of days that I was able to get on to this board.  Active needs some server upgrades I think!

I just registered for the Disneyland HM in September, and the wife is in for the 10k.  Registrations are going fast- it's been open for less than three hours and already the Dumbo Dare (10k plus HM) is sold out, the 10k is at 95% and the HM is at 60%.  I know that some folks had access to early registration at the expos and via the Disney Visa, but wow!?!

Ran 10 miles on Saturday and was comfortable at 9:50 per mile.  No aches, pains or soreness during or after, and it was a gorgeous day to boot.

08/19/2012 AFC 5K 28:29

09/01/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08

11/22/2012 Thank you 10K 58:17

01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17

03/10/2013 San Diego HM (registered)

09/01/2013 Disneyland HM (registered)

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009

?
    MK~so sorry that you could not find someone to keep you company for a weekend of fun and shame on all SIX of your friends and the fellow runner with the cold shoulder!  Like Deb..I wish I lived closer and I would love to run with you! (((HUGS)))

Debra~ Congrats on your 11.19 miles! On an indoor track no less! You Go Girl!!! I am fortunate to have belonged to the same gym for almost 10 years now. It is big enough to have everything you could want or need including a sauna, showers, dressing rooms, a women only cardio and weight room for those that are uncomfortable working out in the general gym area. We also have many classes that are offered under the monthly fee of 24.99 per month. There are about 15 or 20 of us that workout at the same time each day and have for years. Therefore we are pretty much like family! LOL This is men and women.

AZ~ so glad you found a health club that you like.

Marie! Still in awe of your 39.3 miles in 2 days! Your runs sound wonderful and I anxiously await more details on the run!

Ray~ I hope your leg feels better soon.

My second HM in 7 days was alot of run except for the drastic change in weather conditions. It wa 78 degrees, bright sunny and very high humidity which made for less than prime conditions for a HM! Add to this that there were only 4 aid stations with water and gatorage along the 13.1 miles and those were positioned within the first 3 and last 3 miles with nothing at the 7 miles in between! I learned along time ago to run with my own hand held water/electrolyte solution after being left with no water in these same conditons. My friend that ran with me...has not learned that lesson before now and had no water with her.We had decided that we were going to take it easy on this race since we were both sporting some sore muscles and various aches and pains from the brutal course the weekend before but due to the humidity and heat, my friend was sweating profusely by mile 2. We ran together for the first 4 miles at which time we were in the State Park area that was the 7 miles without water or porta potties. Thankfully, we did not need the potties, but my friend needed the water/gatorade desperately. My friend began to slow down alot due to dehydration and I did not want to leave her but she encouraged me to go ahead and she would catch up. I went on ahead, but would slow down in order to give her a chance to catch up with me. She would catch up with me and then fall behind again. At one time I thought she was just a short space behind me, but when I slowed down for her to catch me, she did not catch me. I stopped and looked back to see if she was okay. I could see her a good distance down the road and she was walking. I ran back to her to make sure she was okay and she said that she could not go on without water. She was drenched and did not look well at all. I had about a half bottle of water/electrolyte solution and a minature Pay Day candy bar. I told her to drink some of my water and gave her the Pay Day. She drank some and ate the candy bar and began to feel some better, but still very sluggish. She told me to go ahead that she did not want to hold me back and handed me the water bottle which was about a quarter full. I told her to just keep the water because she needed it worse than I did since I had been drinking regularly. I went on ahead, but tried not to get to far from her until I was sure she was going to be okay. She continued to walk so I went back and met her to make sure she was okay. She still did not look good so we just stayed together walking a little and running a little. By now, I was beginning to feel the effects of the heat and almost 7 miles without water and I welcomed the slow walk/run pace. Finally, we came out of the State Park section of the run and there was a water/gatorade station that was 3 miles from the finish line. YES!!  We both drank water and gatorade and a volunteer had orange slices! I have never tasted anything so good as that orange at that time! LOL ..At this point we were at about mile 11. My friend got to feeling better after the water/gatorade/orange but still not able to run that much. She insisted that I go on and wait for her at the finish. I went on and waited for her at the finish line. I crossed at 2:40:23 and she came over at 3:04:27 due to having to walk alot on the way in. Even though the conditions were horrible, we had a really good time talking and just being in the event!

Please consiser adding the minature Pay Day candy bars to your fueling for long runs and races! They are easy to carry and provide a great source of quick energy and the salt on the nuts helps to replace lost sodium! They are great!

I am doing my next HM on Feb. 9th with a different friend and then all 3 of us will be doing the Disney Princess HM in Orlando on Feb. 24th! We are so looking forward to this race!!! As I am sure Marie can attest...It is the most magical place on earth!!

Picture of us waiting for the race to start. I am the tall one! LOL

Attachments:

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Mary Kay-  I adjusted my max aerobic HR up because I found that my absolute max HR was quite a bit higher than expected or calculated.  In late December I ran a hard 3 miler and pushed it at the end, and my Garmin HR monitor recorded max HR of 180.  At the New Years Day 5 mile run I again pushed hard at the end and my max was 190.  So I decided to try to keep my HR @ 65-75% of 180; that's how I got the 135 number.  If I just used the pure Maffetone formula my range would be 116-126, which is what I was using when I tried to do it last fall.  I have not seen dramatic improvement, but some say it can take quite a while.  It does take patience, and clearly run/walk is a must for me to keep it below 135.  on the TM I can walk a steady 4.1-4.2 and keep HR around 120, and I have seen some improvement with that.  The nice thing about this method is that it really reduces your risk of injury, which I like!!   I'm debating doing most of my running going into the May HM using this method, with one day/week of some speed/hill work.  Then I would push a harder trainging program for the HM in September. 

Deb- I haven't set a date in stone, probably mid February, 10 weeks or so out from DCHM.  As you can see from above, I'm really waffling on what plan to use.  I'm thinking that when I can get outside it will make the training a lot easier to structure.  Nice job on the 11 miles! 

Mimi- what a story for your HM!  That weather sounds rough-unbelievable they had such poor hydration station frequency!  Sounds dangerous. And what a great friend you are; that was a lot of extra work on your part, going back and forth like that.  I like the PayDay candy bar idea-but do the nuts cause any "GI problems"?

Run strong and safe in this cold weather!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,387 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

justrundan - Your experience confirms one thing I emphasize to anyone using heart rate to train: you have to know (or have a really good approximation of) your true maximum in order to set your zones correctly.  Exercising at lower heart rates has been demonstrated to have beneficial long term effects, though I think true Maffetone doesn't allow for any faster/harder workout for several months.

Len

Len

Jul 22, 2011

re: RunningAhead:  One of the ladies from the "My Last Run Was..." thread started a new one by the same name at the RunningAhead site.  There are actually 2 with the same name, the one that MelodyLea started has each word capitalized, as above.  We could do the same for this thread if folks wanted to.  I'm also starting to track my running on their free log, it seems fairly user friendly.   

Run strong and safe!

notable 2012 runs:

2013 runs:

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Wow, Deb! 11 mi!! and your DS is training for a full? Amazing! "Some people like watching paint dry, I like watching running events!" => Hahahaha 

Ray, attack the kitchen until you can attack the road? Great idea! Been living with a microwave and fridge for five years. DD says, "I can't believe you live like this". I just think of all the other things I get done and ignore her.

Good going, Rich with the 10 mi. and Disney HM! You're already ready!! Where dreams come true.

Kathy, such a rough HM! I think it was Marie who convinced me to always carry my own drink, especially for a trail run. Love the hi viz leg warmers!

Dan, I also read that I need to do all my HR training below my maximum aerobic HR for the first three to six months (depending on progress) and when you regularly run at a higher HR, you may not see the base building benefits but you can add in one run of weekly speed work after the initial training and then slowly add back more until your pace gets stuck. Then you start the training cycle again. I'm off to see what if any effect training has had in the first two weeks.

Guys, I haven't had any more trouble than usual posting here but this site has always been tempermental. I've moved with Dan and the others to Running AHEAD and it has a lot less interference for the moment.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008

I am currently training for my 6th full marathon, the southern Indiana Classic in April.

As warm-up runs to that I am running a half in February and a half in March.

I will be 55 in November.

Art

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011

Dan, let's see create a group, www.runningahead.com/groups/50o5K - now will see if active let's me post here...

Ray

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

Ray~After posting here, I'll head over to RA to log in my miles for today and look for the group.  Thank you for setting it up.

Art~All the best to you in training for your 6th FM! 

Mary Kay~When we remodeled our kitchen I recall feeling like we were camping, but not in a good way.   I swore I'd never eat another Domino's pizza again!!!

Dan~Saw the "my last run was..." thread on RA, but didn't want to crash since I never posted there on Active.

Kathy~Loved the photo of you and your friend.  You are too cute!  Congratulations on finishing a challenging HM.  The conditions sounded awful!   It's all about assessing the situation, finding a solution or adapting to it.  You did that not only for yourself, but for your running buddy.  Each week the grade school cross country runners I help coach, award a fellow teammate who encourages others to strive to do their best.   I think you have earned the "Barnabas" award for being an extraordinary encourager, mentor and friend!  PS-Thanks for the Pay Day tip!

Rich~Awesome getting registered for the Disneyland races before they filled up!  Sounded like you had a sweet 10 mile run.  Are there bad days in SoCal?

The below zero temps we had all week kept me running indoors at the track.   It warmed up today, so will get outside for a 4-mile walk tomorrow.  Sunday's race to be about 30-degrees F, with fog, rain/snow.  Going to duct tape the top of my shoes to prevent the slush from penetrating.  Has anyone tried this, and does it work?

Run strong friends!

Jul 22, 2011

Debra- feel free to join in at My Last Run Was... (the capitalized one; there are two)  other people are joining in, the more the merrier.

Art- follow us to RunningAHEAD- I don't think there will be much action here once everyone goes over the the new site.  It is a lot faster.

notable 2012 runs:

2013 runs:

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

• WDWRich Amateur 17 posts since
    Feb 1, 2012

Debra- Yes there are bad days in SoCal.  This past Saturday I ran 5.5 miles in the rain.  I have to admit though, bad days are fairly rare!

08/19/2012 AFC 5K 28:29

09/01/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08

11/22/2012 Thank you 10K 58:17

01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17

03/10/2013 San Diego HM (registered)

09/01/2013 Disneyland HM (registered)

• phukienfone Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 27, 2013

I love this blog. Very encouraging and I like the info being shared. About to get back into my walking routine before resuming some jogging. Want to restart my c25k routine also as I was out of town for a conference and did not have time before or during the conference to do anything. Was going to attempt 2 more 5Ks before end of year but I'm really not ready yet so will start over. Plenty of time to do more 5ks in 2013. In meantime, walking will keep me active. Got to see if my gym has re-opened following Hurricane Sandy here in Jersey so I can get in some strength training. Weight loss is my primary goal and getting and maintaining good health. I'm doing things at 64 that I would not have considered when I was 30 and loving every minute.ON A MISSION.

TH? NH? MÁY ?NH CHÍNH HÃNGB? phát wifi 3g giá r?Th? nh? giá r?Th? nh? SD|SDHCTh? nh? MicrosdLoa nghe nhac MiniPin ?i?n thoai chính hãngRouter wifi 3g giá r?Usb th?i trangS? d?ng Internet trên xe h?iCung c?p usb 3gBô phát wifi 3gTh? nh? giá r?Th? nh? SD|SDH Th? nh? Microsd

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...