Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

536 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2013 3:03 PM by lenzlaw RSS
kathleendean Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 25, 2013 8:41 AM

Which method is likely to be more productive?

I used to run 2-3 miles a day, 4-5 times a week, typically at a 10-min mile pace.  I sustained a hip injury and after taking time off and PT I'm trying to ease back into running but find myself huffing and puffing after barely 1/4 mile.  In the time off from running I've been avidly doing crossfit workouts and feel otherwise in shape.  I did a whopping 1/2 mile in 5 min yesterday and the pace is fine with me, however, I need to steadily and carefully increase my mileage so I don't reinjure my hip nor burst my lungs that clealry need some exercise.  My goal is to get back to 2-3 miles easily with the hope of adding enough miles to attempt longer distances periodically (10K, 10M-long shot).

Am I better off to:

1. run 4 minutes and walk 1 minute for 2 miles and then increase my miles before I try to drop the walking

or

2. try to run 10 minutes a day a few times a week and then slowly increase the duration of the run, regardless of distance?

Thanks so much!

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    1. Jan 25, 2013 2:41 PM (in response to kathleendean)

I would say try doing the c25k workouts.  It might be a bit slow, but it should get you there uninjured.  Or, pick a beginning 5k training plan.  If they don't move you along as quickly as you feel able, then I'd look at an intermediate training plan.  Just make sure you listen to your body while doing the training and you'll be fine.

Ray

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,340 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jan 25, 2013 3:03 PM (in response to rcuriel)

I agree with Ray.  It's not clear how long you've been off, but if it'smore than, say, 4 months, you are almost starting over.  Your body will remember how to do it but the conditioning for running simply isn't there.  Starting with a run/walk program similar to C25K should get you back on track in a reasonable, injury-free way.  The other thing is not to be fixed on that 10-min. per mile pace. A slower pace at the beginning will also reduce injury risk.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points