Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22773 Views 98 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2013 6:06 PM by JustGlori Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Previous Next
  • ucongold Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 15, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jan 22, 2013 10:10 AM (in response to Aspen8)
    Anyone else starting out 2013 with C25K?

Thanks for this (and all of the comments).  I think I will do as suggested and just get going. I am going to let my heart monitor dictate what I need to do, even if I think I know better.   

Feeling good-week 2!    3 pounds lost.

C to 5k - Start Jan 14, 2013.

• ucongold Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 15, 2013
    31. Jan 22, 2013 10:17 AM (in response to Sengel67)

I think, but I may not have this correctly, but if you use the app it uses GPS. If you are on a treadmill, you are not moving very far geographically, thus the low number on the app. I think the treadmill is far closer to what you are doing. I run/walk about that range and this is about what my stats look like..

C to 5k - Start Jan 14, 2013.

• Sayseal Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 22, 2013
    32. Jan 22, 2013 6:21 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I have every intention of starting week 1 this week. I have decided to sign up for a gym membership since I am too much of a princess to run outside - just kidding, it's too cold! I am overweight but have been on weight watchers and exercising fairly regularly at home. Anyone else feel self conscious about running? Particularly in a public place like a gym? I have been excited about starting C25K...except for this one issue. Any words of wisdom?

• LrningToRun Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 23, 2013
    33. Jan 23, 2013 7:06 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)
    Re: Anyone else starting out 2013 with C25K?

I started the program last week.   This is my second time around but I am determined to make it this time.  Week 3 is usually where I get stuck and give up.  Right now i'm on W2D2 and it's going well.  I became more active before attempting the program this time so I'm excited to see my progress and success.  Wish me luck!

• BigBonedLawyer Legend 305 posts since
    Jul 6, 2010
    34. Jan 23, 2013 9:01 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I've been meaning to/planning to start.  Been more focussed on making myself get up at 5:30 in the morning since that's the only time I have to run.  Also getting myself used to the dreadmill since these 20 degree mornings are definitely not my friends when it comes to running.  I keep expecting to miss a step and go flying.  Anyway, if all goes well, I will begin my third C25K next Monday.  Completed it once, did an abbreviated version last year before the Peachtree Road Race.  This time I plan to go straight through and continue my training toward the Peachtree.

Nike+ - BBL17

Tracking my progress - http://bigbonedlawyer.blogspot.com/

2010 Cobb Make A Wish http://cobbcounty.org/makeawish5k/ - 30:03 111/252 no walking

2010 Run for Justice http://www.rungeorgia.com/runforjustice.html - 28:10 no walking 105/343

2010 Sleighbells on the Square http://www.cobbcountybar.org/pdfs/Sleighbells%202010%20flyer.pdf  - 27:26 no walking 120/5xx

2011 Big Peach 5k http://www.bigpeachrunningco.com/ 33:00 after 4 months no running.  Walked about .5 miles total.

2011 Peachtree Roadrace  - http://www.peachtreeroadrace.org/ 1:11:00 on 3 weeks of training.  Finished in the top half overall.

• GadgetChick Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 12, 2010
    35. Jan 23, 2013 12:13 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

Hi,

I did W1D2 yesterday, and it was OK.  I started C25K about a year ago but only made it through a few weeks of the program before the weather got too cold (I am a native Arizonan and a wimp with exercising in the cold).  I have been searching for something that would motivate me enough to stick to losing weight.  My younger son is into Track & Field, we have a good relationship, and he would get on the scale in my bathroom and taunt me that he ran and he just lost weight - still not motivating enough.

About 10 years ago I had heart problems and used the treadmill at a gym and I really didn't like it.  Once I was cleared by my cardiologist I decided to try "karate" at the school my boys were taking lessons.  This was way outside my comfort zone, but they had excellent instructors.  I got really fit, and I really ended up liking it, especially since it was indoors

A few days ago I saw a Groupon for a 5K Neon Run, suddenly I felt like I finally found a goal I was motivated about!  How fun would it be to run through sprinklers of neon glow water and be covered with different colors under black lights!!  It is 9weeks away, so I talked to my son, since I figured he would want to do it as well, and I made it clear my motivation was to be able to jog/run as much as possible, but I wanted to do it for the fun of the experience, not competition like he would.

My biggest fear doing C25K is sore muscles keeping me from doing the next day.  Of course I was sore after the first day, the next day I walked and jogged a little for a mile for an easy "reactivation" of the same muscles which I know helps.  Yesterday when I got home from W1D2 I asked my son what was the best thing I should do after my workouts.  He said to run the shower on cold over the muscles I exerted because that helps get rid of the lactic acid (which is why they get sore), and to use a foam roller (he doesn't believe in stretching as much as I do).  I have bought many various gadgets for him for his workouts/muscles, I did not choose the foam roller since I know that would take more time than I would stick with so I asked for my MuscleTrac he keeps in his track bag and used it.  I also put BioFreeze on my legs after the first day and took magnesium before going to bed.

Sorry this got so long, just figured I would give some background info.  With the karate classes I would get distracted by the class & other students, but with running it is more difficult given it is self-directed. 

Would love to hear any other tips for avoiding sore muscles. 

• jsilvius Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 15, 2012
    36. Jan 24, 2013 12:43 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

Hello everyone.

I just started the C25K program on 1/21/13.

I finally reached a point when I decided enough was a enough.

I was 6' 1" 160lb when I left basic training in 1991 and was able to run roughly a 5min mile.

Now I'm pushing 40 (October this year) and I'm 300+ and can't keep up with my 12year old.

I'm using the RunDouble App for my Android, and I've completed Wk1D1 and D2. I'm not pushing because I want to build up and be successful.

Good luck to everyone.

Started Running C25K: 1/21/2013

First 5k Schduled for: 4/20/2013

• Aspen8 Amateur 17 posts since
    Mar 29, 2011
    37. Jan 27, 2013 7:54 AM (in response to BeautifulMonster)

BeautifulMonster -

I definitely think it's part of the process for many, many people and probably should be for a lot more.  I made the mistake in the past of pushing through and. doing. every. stinking. workout. exactly. as. prescribed. no. matter. how. I. felt. gosh. darn. it!  On my target date, which was the 1 year anniversary of my quitting smoking, I jogged my first 5K.  YAY, ME!  I proved that I could do it.  And I hated it.  It felt awful.   And I literally never did it again.  So what good did my deadline do me?

I think we should all only go at our own pace.  If that's completing the program feeling great in 9 weeks, fantastic!  If not, so what? 

What did you decide to do and how did it work out for you? 

Mar 29, 2011
    38. Jan 27, 2013 7:55 AM (in response to ucongold)

Ucon - Congratulations on the 3 pounds!

Mar 29, 2011
    39. Jan 27, 2013 8:06 AM (in response to Sayseal)

Sayseal -

Lol.  Uh...yeah.  I'm self-conscious.  I'm afraid that if I do it on a treadmill at the Y someone might ACTUALLY call the paramedics.  So I'm sticking to doing this outside even in the winter, with a scarf tied over my mouth and nose so I don't trigger my cold-induced asthma too much.  Oh...and I definitely can't do it....like...on the SIDEWALK...where anyone driving or walking by could see!  So I'm driving to a paved river trail to do my workouts where, in this weather, I'm only faced with seeing a few die-hard exercisers who probably don't care anyway, but during the time it takes them to get close enough to hear me wheeze until they're far enough away that they can't hear me wheeze, I try my best to hold my breath and not pass out.  Lol.  I'm only half kidding. 

Mar 29, 2011
    40. Jan 27, 2013 8:09 AM (in response to LrningToRun)

Lrning To Run -

Good luck!

Mar 29, 2011
    41. Jan 27, 2013 8:10 AM (in response to BigBonedLawyer)

BigBonedLawyer -

"Dreadmill"?   I love it!  

Mar 29, 2011
    42. Jan 27, 2013 8:26 AM (in response to GadgetChick)

GAdgetChick -

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-does-lactic-acid-buil&page=2

According to this Scientific American article, the soreness is not caused lactic acid, which is converted back to pyruvic acid quickly when you slow down, oxygen debt is relieved, and adequate oxgen becomes available to the muscles again.  It says that the soreness is caused by damage to the muscle, and related inflammation.  (The damage is the natural result of the training of muscles not prepared for the effort.)  Cold (your son's shower water or the article's ice baths) reduce inflammation.  The foam roller may also help by increasing circulation, though the article doesn't deal specifically with the effects of massage - which is basically what the foam roller is....a form of soft tissue massage.

Mar 29, 2011
    43. Jan 27, 2013 8:28 AM (in response to jsilvius)

jsilvius -

Hi!  Welcome.  How is it going now?

• BeautifulMonster Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 10, 2013
    44. Jan 27, 2013 8:58 PM (in response to Aspen8)

Well, I got back out today.  A week and a half fater my last workout...4 missed workouts.  I did W2D3 and it was OK, but I am not ready to go on do W3....going to do W2 over and keep going from there.  My target race is May 11, I have 15 weeks.  I think I can do it. 

I do have to start putting in my contacts if I'm going to run in the rain; I was running blind today with wet, foggy glasses.  And I solemnly swear to not complain about the cold....I'm on the coast and we don't go below 45 frequently.  So many of you are running in the Arctic (or so it seems)!  Let's see if I can get up early on Tuesday and keep it going!

How is everyone else doing?

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...