Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3698 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2013 7:10 AM by aramchek
lauriexxx Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 19, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 24, 2013 8:18 AM

running first thing in the morning on an empty stomach

Hi All-

The only chance I have to run is first thing in the morning. I run on an empty stomach. Is this sabotaging my weight loss goals? It would be almost impossible for me to wake up any earlier to eat something, digest, run and make it to work on time. Any thoughts on this? Or can someone recommend a fast digesting food that might work for me?

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    1. Jan 27, 2013 11:03 AM (in response to lauriexxx)

I run on an empty stomach for most of my runs, but weight loss is not my goal (although it should be).  For runs over 5 miles I snack on a honey stinger waffle, its about 150 calories and is just enough to give me some energy ans stop my stomach from growling.   Its easy to digest and very tasty. http://shop.honeystinger.com/products/Honey-Organic-Stinger-Waffle.html

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007

I'm not sure running on an empty stomach in the morning is a bad thing.  I suppose it depends how far you're going and how hard you push.  If you don't run hard you could probably get away with a bagel or bowl of oat meal.  Side stitches (cramps) kick in if you run hard too soon after eating.

Anyway, if you eat after your run you should be fine.  If you're trying to lose weight, you just need to burn more calories than you take in.  Here's a nifty little calculator that'll tell you what you're burning for calories.. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/4/4_1/94.shtml

I'm trying to drop 10 pounds and this little calculator helps a lot.

Good luck!

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• runazrun Amateur 16 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008

When I had to run early in the morning, I always ran on an empty stomach.  Just a little water before I was out the door.  This included long runs of up to 20 miles and hard tempo runs.  I experienced no adverse affects.  I wasn't (and don't) run to lose weight.

I think if you aren't hungry, you are fine.

• JuanZee Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 27, 2012

Running on an empty stomach is not a bad thing. When I started running, i would always, and still run on an empty stomach. Although, i do take slow digesting protein the night before, and it's fuel for the next morning. But as long as you're hydrated, that's most important.

• laharris7 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 14, 2011
    5. Feb 22, 2013 11:44 AM (in response to lauriexxx)

I also get up at O'Dark 30 and can't possibly wake up any early in order to eat before my runs. 

So the night before I make sure I have intaked plenty of fluids to prevent cramping. 

If it's going to be a long run, I drink Brew Gu the night before, and take one with me for the ½ way point. (Sometimes I bring some Chomps or Gu's)

I have a problem with lack of energy and getting headaches afterward if I'm not properly hydrated.

The key is to be hydrated.

11/25/10 - 5K - Turkey Trot - 31:27

4/16/11 - 5K - Otter Creek Trail Run - 31:28

5/8/11 - 5 Mile - Women's Runnning Race - 52:27

7/4/11 - 5K - Independence Day Run - 30:56

11/24/11 - 10K - Turkey Trot- 1.01:37

5/13/12 - 5 Mile - Women's Runnning Race - 57:09

7/4/12 - 5K - Independence Day Run - 32:00

10/13/12 - Hartford ING Half Marathon - 2.36:03

4/6/13 - 5k - Kid's Place - 29.00 New PR !!!

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009

As long as you don't sacrifice performance and have no adverse GI symptoms you should be fine. Your post workout meal even if you are trying to lose weight should be 3 or 4 to 1 carbohydrate to protein ratio with little fat within an hour for maximum recovery. For weight loss don't eat more calories in this meal than you just burned. For weight loss with activity keep your calories at about 10 per pound of body weight.

Personal Trainer Los Angeles

• MarkEichenlaub Amateur 18 posts since
    Jun 17, 2012

If you are looking to lose weight this is actually a good idea.  You have burned off your carb stores and will have to burn fat.  Even better would be to have a cup of coffee first to ramp up fat burning.

Blogging about motivation, injury prevention and training lessons I've learned at TeachtoRun.com and working on "The Ultimate 5k Plan" at HowtoRun5k.com.

• aramchek Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 29, 2008

Depending on the length of the run, I'll often run on an empty stomach.  Usually, the cutoff is around an hour.  More than an hour and I'll make sure I eat before I head out.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points