Skip navigation

2113 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2013 9:04 AM by KD35isbeast RSS
iSwearSports33 Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 9, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 22, 2013 7:35 PM

Help in the post

I'm a 6'2" post having to go up against posts ranging from 6'5" to 6'10". Defensively I can hold my own but offensively I can rarely get a shot off in half court offense. Any advice?

• Coach Beez Legend 160 posts since
    Feb 4, 2010
    1. Jan 24, 2013 11:17 PM (in response to iSwearSports33)
    Help in the post

When I work with players in the post I typically teach them two ways of playing:

1) the power game using the back up dribble and backing the defender in

2) quick moves and creating space

While #1 is more effective if you are stronger and bigger than your opponent, #2 seems to be a better fit for you.

But you first need to learn how to get position. For this, go to my website at www.zaciswack.com to view my instructional video on how to gain position in the post.

The next question would be, after I get position and receive the ball, what is the best shot to use against a taller opponent? The answer is the JUMP HOOK.

The jump hook, if performed properly, gives you a very good chance of getting the shot off, if you shoot the ball from a position that is away from the outstretched arm of the defender and you are keeping your body between the ball and the defender.

If you are interested, I can also post a short video on " HOW " to perform the jump hook if you do not know how. Let me know.

But, in the meantime, go to www.zaciswack.com to view my video on how to get postition in the post.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Coach Beez

www.basketballwithcoachbeez.com

Yo, what up fools?: It's me, " THE MAN " , Zac Ryan. Even though I'm a cartoon character, I can still ball chump! So if you like basketball, then come check me out and read all my comic strips at:

www.zaciswack.com

I'm out.

• JBallaJordan Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 4, 2013
    3. Feb 4, 2013 6:03 PM (in response to iSwearSports33)
    Help in the post

if you are 6'2" then maybe you should try point gurad or shooting guard... thats only if you have good ball handling and can pass though... post just doesnt sound right for a 6'2" guy. though you did say you can hold your ground on defense, then maybe you can stay in the post on d and then maybe try taking the ball down and running the point of something like that on offense. its just a suggeston so lett me know how it works out if you do decide to try it

• KD35isbeast Amateur 24 posts since
    Jul 11, 2012
    4. Mar 13, 2013 9:04 AM (in response to iSwearSports33)
    Help in the post

Maybe the post fadeaway could help you or the jump hook

Hard work beats talent whem talent doesn´t work hard.- Kevin Durant

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points