Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

327 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2013 10:57 AM by DeCoursey
DeCoursey Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 5, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 5, 2013 10:57 AM

Building up endurance [History of Shin Splints]

Hi all.

I'm a bit new here, but I thought this would be the perfect place for me to improve my running.

I don't want to bore anyone so I will cut right to the chase...

When I was 16, I was running ~30 miles a week, ran a 2:04 800m and a ~5:00 mile. I was 6'2 and around 165 lbs.

The next year I just ballooned to 185 lbs. I got shin splints whenever I ran and just gave up on it.

Now at 19 I am 205 lbs. I havent gotten fat, it's more just me filling out. I used to be really tiny. I'll attatch a picture of how skinny I really was (photo insert ain't workin').

Long story short, I miss running. The track team here is not outstanding by any means and I really want to run the 800m for them. I ran about 9 miles over 5 runs last week and am set to do the same this week.

What sort of advice or training schedules would you all recommend? I really want to get up into the 20-30 mi/wk range.

Attachments:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...