Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

19213 Views 98 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2013 6:06 PM by JustGlori RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
  • janetm67 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jan 1, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Jan 28, 2013 9:01 AM (in response to BeautifulMonster)
    Anyone else starting out 2013 with C25K?

I just finished W5D3.  We had slushy snow the past few days and what a PAIN that was to run on.  Living in the Mid Atlantic we don't get snow that much but boy for those of you in Northern states I feel for you.  I actually don't mind the cold (grew up in Michigan) but slushy snow is the pits.  I think I've got tendonitis on my left foot (had my bro who works in orthopedics) take a look and probobly that.  I'm just cutting back on the whold doubling of workouts and sticking with "the plan" and icing the daylights out of my foot on off traning days. 

• GadgetChick Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 12, 2010
    46. Jan 30, 2013 7:59 PM (in response to Aspen8)
    Re: Anyone else starting out 2013 with C25K?

Thanks, Aspen8, for the clarification

I was told to walk on my toes when walking - had to see her walk to understand what she meant!  I tried this the last two times I did C25K and didn't feel half as much pain in my shins while walking!  I feel like I am sort-of falling forward while doing this, but my times have improved which is motivating (not that I really care how fast I am going, my goal is to be able to run/jog as much of the 5K as possible in March).

Also, I hated running cold water in the shower so I grabbed the blue gel "ice packs" from the freezer and sit with them on my shins for 20 min. before taking my shower. 

I love the Active.com C25K program on my Android phone!  I am going all different ways around the neighborhood, and using Songza to so I don't know what music will be next, but the last time I was out I ran near a busy street and missed the cue to walk due to the noise. 

Anyone have recommendations for using earphones while running? 

• FamilyFirstDad Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 23, 2012
    47. Jan 31, 2013 6:58 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

Hello, starting late but would like to get on here for some support and encouragement. Hope its not too late to join. Just starting, I finished w1d2 today. A long road ahead but Im determined to get in better shape and ultimately run a 10 mile race in Oct.

take care D

• Kellyanne43 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 7, 2012
    48. Feb 1, 2013 8:43 AM (in response to FamilyFirstDad)

I use that C25K to train for a 5 k I loved it I am now using the C210k for training for my first 10 k

• Care2GetFit Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 3, 2013
    49. Feb 3, 2013 7:24 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

Finished W3D1 today. I'm sad that it's so hard to run for 3 minutes, but I have to remember that I've never been able to run for even 5 minutes at a time, and in 2 weeks I'll be doing just that.  I'm trying to take it one day at a time, and trusting the program.  I'm doing it on a treadmill, as 20 degree weather will just kill my lungs, but I'm happy to complete the program on a treadmill, then graduate to "real" running when spring comes.

• BeautifulMonster Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 10, 2013
    50. Feb 4, 2013 7:58 AM (in response to Care2GetFit)

I just did W3D1 yesterday.  I kept thinking I wouldn't make it through that last interval!  But I did it!  I was so happy.  I must have looked like a grinning idiot through my entire cool down.   I was so scared of starting this week.  I have never run three minutes before!

• whitneytc Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 24, 2011
    51. Feb 4, 2013 1:38 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I have not particpated much in running since I ran track in high school two decades ago.  On January 20th, the Louisiana Marathon ran down my street.  I was completely awe struck.  My 10 year old daughter and I stood on our street completely mesmerized.  I was so inspired, I began the C25K the very next morning. 

It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.  I love that it is a slow pace and spread out.  I don't feel overwhlemed or that I am not capbable.  I was  little nervous due to some joint issues I have, but the pace of this program has been great.  I just finished week 3 day one this morning.  I almost wanted to go out and do it again this afternoon, but I know the philosophy in this program is "slow and steady wins the race".  So far I've really enjoyed it and am shocked that I actually look forward to the next one.

• watson524a Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 4, 2013
    52. Feb 4, 2013 5:53 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

Hope I'm not too late to the party.... I've been going to start and going to start for ages and finally did it today! A little about me... 36, overweight (need to drop about 40 ideally, 30 would be ok), have never in my life been able to run "distance". In my best shape in high school, I played softball competitively and also did various forms of dance. Sprints were fine but longer running stints forget it. So I've always wanted to run and my husband is a runner who's gotten back into it in the last year and I thought ok, I can do C25K.... So today I did it. Did W1D1 and I didn't stop, ran (more on that in abit) the whole time I was supposed to and it didn't kill me!!!

So I stretched before I left and then out I went. New pair of running shoes but same as a pair I've been wearing as sneakers for a while that I got via suggestion at a running store and then never really used for running. So my husband said they're likely shot since I've worn them around a few years and start with the new ones and only use those for running so they maintain cushion. Now here's some things I struggled with... I have always had a problem with tie shoes. The outside edge of my foot in the middle there gets this wicked cramping pain. Sometimes losening the laces helps but sometimes it doesn't. So I had that pain to contend with but it actually went away mostly as I kept going. On my left foot, I think my left arch is flatter than right and I feel the arch like standing on a pipe but I just kept going. That's common too and even regular shoes sometimes I have this problem. So I used to quit because of these issues and sucked it up this time and my feet seem no worse for the wear. The bottoms of my legs on the top where it bends before the foot got sore and felt very heavy. Not shin splints at all (I've had much experience with those so I know what's what) so in the walking part, I kinda shook things out and was able to keep going. My breathing wasn't too bad.... I'm a mouth breather so my throat got dry but I wasn't wheezing and dying like I thought I would be. The 3rd "run" cycle I was about ready to throw it in and thought it would kill me but I thought screw this, I'm going to keep going. And you know, I think it did get a bit easier. I was totally psyched I did it all! I'll probably have to do week 1 twice but I don'tcare, I did it! As for my speed..... ridiculously slow, feet were coming off the ground and all like a run but I probably looked ridiculous.... but again, I didn't care!! WAHOO!!!

Looking forward to the discussion and keeping us all motivated.

• deesfitbody Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 4, 2013
    53. Feb 4, 2013 5:56 PM (in response to Aspen8)

Just remember, each step and each breath is stronger than the one before. We can do this everyone. I am new to this too, never been a runner ever. I am currently moving on to week 3 tomorrow. I am feeling so much stronger. My motto is never do less than the day before. I may not increase my workout from the previous one but I will at least do as much.  Good luck everyone.

• lisabe50soon Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 5, 2013
    54. Feb 5, 2013 7:52 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

Hi. Newbie runner and almost 50. Not overweight but not in wonderful shape either.  I started this program for the first time on Jan. 1. My goal is to run a 5k before I'm 50 which will be in April. I haven't had any issues with the program until week 5. The jump in the jogging time was just too much for me. I jogged as long as I could but would have to stop to walk then start the jog back again as soon as I could. This is the first time I will have to repeat a workout. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you handle it? I've also started experimenting with pace and techniques. I never feel sore the next day but do feel soreness during the jog in the backs of my calves and thighs. Any insight or information would be appreciated.

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    55. Feb 5, 2013 11:22 AM (in response to lisabe50soon)

Hi, I'm starting over again. I started and completed c25k back in 2010, I continued to run for 2 years but I had some changes in my life and running wasn't  a priority until now. I started back today on W2

• jcyboron Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 28, 2013
    56. Feb 6, 2013 8:33 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I am a 36 year old mother of 2 boys, age 10 & 8 and have finally gotten to the point where I can take care of ME...

Running M-W-F and doing a toning class T-Th, all at 5:30AM and I am NOT a morning person but I've been able to do it for the last couple of months.

I just started with the C25K app on Monday!  I have been trying to run for about 9 months but gotten serious the last couple of months.  I've been going to the gym at least 4 days a week and have gotten to the point where I am able to run a mile without walking.  I have signed up for a 5k the end of May so I have lots of time but wanted to start this C25K program to make sure I get there.  And to hopefully avoid injury.  I started Monday at the beginning, even though I feel like I can do more, because I want to do it right.  So I just did W1D2 this morning and it felt great.  Finished up with a quick 2 mile bike ride.  My struggle is going to come when the weather gets nicer and I want to move the workouts outside.  I am currently running on a track (flat) in a controlled temperature environment.  That adjustment to outside with hills is going to be tough.

I've enjoyed reading the other comments here and will check back regularly.  It's nice to see that others are in the same situations with the same struggles and accomplishments!

• Salagleen Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 6, 2013
    57. Feb 6, 2013 5:16 PM (in response to lisabe50soon)

I'm also in W5 & a little intimidated about the jump in running time. Tomorrow is W5D2.  I'm going to approach it with cautious optimism. I had a hip replacement in the spring, so I'm being very careful to listen to my body. I'm 55 and a little overweight but I've been active all my life. (My surgeon tells me I have no restrictions). There was a nice earlier post about not getting hung up on the schedule.  I'd like to finish the C25K with a healthier body, not an injured one.  If it takes me 12 weeks instead of 9, so be it.  I'd also like to finish as a runner, with a bit of passion for the sport.  One thought I had was to  create a few intermediate runs between the 2 x 8 min day & the 20 min day.  I'll see how it goes tomorrow! 

• Sayseal Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 22, 2013
    58. Feb 6, 2013 7:49 PM (in response to Aspen8)

Aspen8,

Thank you for echoing my concerns - I am not alone!! I did W1D1 yesterday and didn't feel as self conscious as I thought I would. I'm pretty sure that the guy on the treadmill next to me was also doing C25K. Though, I did find the gals doing the stairmaster next to me a little intimidating. BUT I did it and I feel great (even if a little sore) about doing it! I admire you for running outside - I'm WAY too much of a wimp to run in the cold!

• Aspen8 Amateur 17 posts since
    Mar 29, 2011
    59. Feb 7, 2013 9:10 PM (in response to Sayseal)

Sayseal -

Those gals on the treadmill were probably once where we are now and had to work up to where they are now.  And...if not...well...then we hate them.      Congratulations on getting W1D1 under your belt! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...