Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1345 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2013 9:48 PM by jeb6294 RSS
mamakbk Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 7, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 7, 2013 6:32 PM

Losing weight on ct5k

Hi Everyone, my name is Kara and I just started w1d1 today, and am super pumped, I am a 31 yr old mother of 2 (ages 4 1/2 and 2 1/2) I am starting one of my new years resolutions... the CT5K... my question is for anyone who has been doing this awhile, I am not dieting per say, just eating better, healthier over all, but I am wondering if the the program alone will help me to lose weight?? Id love to hear about anyone elses experiences!! Thank you and good luck to everyone!! Happy New Year, Kara

• janetm67 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jan 1, 2013
    1. Jan 10, 2013 8:28 AM (in response to mamakbk)
    Losing weight on ct5k

I'm doing the C25K and dieting so don't have any firsthand experience to share.  I will say that if you consume as many calories as you're burning during the program then you won't see a loss.  If you consume fewere you will see a loss.  My husband took up running a couple of times a week about a year ago and has not coupled it with dieting.  He has lost weight but very slowly.  The upshot of all my rambling is it just depends.  

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Feb 5, 2013 11:14 AM (in response to mamakbk)
    Losing weight on ct5k

when I started the c25k and finished, I lost 25 pounds.  I did change my eating habbits so I'm sure that helped a lot.

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    3. Feb 5, 2013 9:48 PM (in response to mamakbk)
    Losing weight on ct5k

I graduated from C25K in November and I can absolutely positively say...it depends.

If you go by the basic calories in -vs- calories out theory then you could certainly lose weight just by adding C25K, but there are a few buts.  This is assuming you don't change your eating habits at all and that you weren't putting on weight before you started, i.e. if your calories in before were too high (putting on weight) then adding more activity may not be enough to swing your calorie surplus the other direction.  On the other hand, if your weight is rock steady with your current diet and you add more activity to your day like C25K then you should certainly see some weight come off.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...