Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

15090 Views 47 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2013 10:00 AM by biibibi RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jan 25, 2013 9:16 AM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

Hey everyone!   Since I hurt my knee and get to wear this killer cool brace I've been walking my 3 mi  X3/week and working the core  hoping to stay the same and not gain any  weight that I've faught so hard to lose.   Got an email that I have an Dr appt and weigh in next week  so I stepped on the scale and was shoked I've lost 9lbs this month  woohooo!    Happy Birthday to me!   No if someone who doesn't know how hard I've been working would notice the 70+ lbs I've lost.  Silly people!

Keep Moving!   and run an  extra bit for me  2 1/2 more weeks until the brace comes off!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    31. Jan 25, 2013 3:36 PM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

Hi, My name is Maria and I'm going to lose 50 pounds!

I'm 49

current weight is 188

1st goal is lose 25 pounds by 4/30

2 nd goal is to lose 25 pounds by 7/30

• NotBonJovi Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    32. Jan 30, 2013 8:22 AM (in response to almightyD)
    Re: Weight Loss Buddies III

almightyD - Wow, 9 lbs in a month! Congratulations.

How did you do it in addition to your regular walking?

• EmilySteele Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 9, 2012
    34. Jan 30, 2013 1:10 PM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

Hi everyone!

Count me in! I have a Tough Mudder in May I've been pushing toward since last year. I'm pretty sure it's gonna kick my butt, but it's a good motivator to get me to the gym everyday. My heaviest was 210 (I'm 23, 5'5", female) and from when I started in August last year I lost 15 lbs.

The holidays pushed me back up a bit but I'm at 193 now. I'm hoping for at least 180 by May, which should be easy enough since I've started using the Lose It! app to track my calories. I do weight training 3ish times a week with a trainer, run 2-3 (I use the Zombie Run app and it's great! Sorry if it seems that I'm promoting apps, they just really work for me) and swim/box/ellipticle/play volleyball in between to try and break up the monotony. I really don't like running most of the time, but Tough Mudder is 10 miles, yikes! The hardest part of this has just been learning to be patient, and keep pushing foward everyday, But watching the scale inch down and having my clothes fit differently has been really great

Jun 2, 2009
    35. Jan 31, 2013 11:34 AM (in response to EmilySteele)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

I have started walking during lunch at work and will check my weight every Thursday.

Today's weight - 184.4

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    36. Feb 1, 2013 4:29 PM (in response to NotBonJovi)

Not Bon jovi -

My eating is very strict. 

No starchy carbs  that means  No; flour, potatoes, rice, bread, crackers or cereals

Drink a full glass of water before each meal

30g carbs a day all before dinner

drink  premier protein 30g protein , 5g carb at  10 and 3

No carbs at dinner other than vegetables

No white or brown sugar and no artificial sweeteners

Stopped drinking coffee

I walk/run 4 mi 3 times a week and do core work for 30-45 min 4 days a week

Since sept I have lost 73 lbs and 8 inches of belly fat. 

first 3 weeks were hell   !!!!!!   But now i get sick when i try to eat those starchy things

During dec I lost the most I have the whole time 13lbs... yep during christmas.

• imsbalogh Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 29, 2012
    37. Feb 6, 2013 8:38 AM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

Hi Everyone,

I would like to join!  My journey really started in July 2012 when I set out to do a C25K in 8 weeks by running 30 minutes a day 3 days a week!  In August I finished my first 5 k, ran it the whole time; and two weeks following I did a 10 k run; running the whole way.  Then I started to work nights.  I started out at 170; ;-- got to 160--- went back up to 167 am currently 160 ish and my goal is 140! 

Time line:  10 lbs down by 4/13.  Next 10 lbs by 8/8/13!

What I am doing:  JUICING!!!  Have lost 7 lbs since Christmas by juicing!  Did a 3 day juice detox, Eating whole grains, fruits and veggies; avoiding a lot of red fatty fried meats!  Loved "Fat, Sick, And Nearly Dead"--- my mom has also been juicing and has lost 8 lbs since Christmas as well! 

Activities:  Participating in the YMCA Ironman challenge; 2.5 miles swim; 112 mile bike; and 24.6 mile run by 2/28/13!  Also 3/3/13 is my 15 K hot chocolate run!  My goal is to work on training for a triatholon sprint in summer/fall of 2013!  Running a half Marathon and gearing up for the full thing!  I want to add in weight/cross fitness training and getting active with my family!

• Maybee80 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 6, 2013
    38. Feb 6, 2013 11:41 AM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

Hi all,

hope it's not too late to join!

1. My goal - lose between 10-15 lb (starting at 153, would like to be at 140 end April)

2. My motivation - to look good naked and run a faster marathon in May (first one, Philly, was good fun, but I had to walk more than expected.. Finished in 4:49, thereof approx. 30 min walking)

3. Keeping myself acountable - that's the toughts part! I try to keep track of food intake, workouts and weekly weigh-ins in a spreadsheet. But not on these bad or not-so-good days when I overate and didn´t exercise at all. Definitely have to become more accountable and not cheat on myself.

Hope this forum will help, looking forward to read and hear from all of you :-)

• gopikumar10 Amateur 19 posts since
    Feb 6, 2013
    39. Feb 7, 2013 3:39 AM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

great almightyD congrats.........great work.....!!!!!!!

Facebook Covers

• McMonkey08 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 6, 2013
    40. Feb 7, 2013 6:27 AM (in response to Skywalker88)

Hi all!

I have been out from running (consistently anyway) since October 2010 due to a closed head injury - I was running on average 5 days a week and covering 50 miles in total with other trianing at the gym, or swimming.  Since that time I have gained 25 pounds, and I am ready to loose the fat.  I am still awaiting some treatment for what might be an exposed nerve in either my neck or spine from the accident, and having difficulties and pain in my left arm, so I am doing exercise that doesn't trigger that too much!

I started on a smoothie/juicing combined with good food weight loss plan, I designed it myself from all the research I have done on clean foods and foods that can help you heal and trim down.  I am into day 3 on that and feeling good about being back in control. I had been trying to loose the weight for about a year, but kept cheating or stressful life events became my get out.  I am more than ready now.   I am currently at 165 pounds and I would like to get back down to 140, even 130, but 140 is my first goal.

I have had a lot of neurological issues that have made it close to impossible to work-out the way I used too, but I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel, and so I am getting my body ready to kick some *** - slowly but surely. 

I have loved reading all the posts here about people's stories, struggles and motivation.  I sure could do with the encouragement and I am more than happy to cheer for others!  Yay! :-)

• KPhil40 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 7, 2013
    41. Feb 8, 2013 5:28 AM (in response to TVAMB)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

Just wondering how you are doing. I'm 40 and in the worste shape of my life, prediabetic (if not full diabetic by now, not on medicine) anmd wanting to lose weight to get pregnant.

• Time_2_Run Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 10, 2012
    42. Feb 17, 2013 7:06 PM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

So, I've been unengaged for sometime, but doing well.  Back to running 4 times a week and down about 9 pounds.  My goal is to lose 15.6 pounds over the next 8 weeks.  I'm scheduled to do a 5 mile run in march, 10 miler in April and the half in Cleveland in may.  Ugh.  Why couldn't I have been born thin.... I wasn't.  And I run on.....     I do yoga (p90x) on Mondays, run tues, wed and thurs, take Friday off, kickboxing on sat and a long run on Sunday.  I suppose if I was better at portion control, I wouldn't have to commit so much time to this, but we all have our demons, right?   I'm learning to work with mine.  I guess.  Anyway, it's fun, productive but my little ones are no longer little, which helps with scheduling.  How can't his forum be more engaging?  How cann we do more for one another?

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    43. Feb 17, 2013 8:04 PM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

I've been trying to keep the carbs down but it's hard when we have to eat all our meals at the chow halls and you can't really be sure what you're getting.  For example, if they don't have anything that looks good my go-to would be a cheeseburger with no bun, but there is no way for me to know whether these are all beef or if they have a bunch of fillers in them.  In the meantime I have been doing a good job sticking with the running.  Right now I am up to 3.2 miles on Sun, Tue & Thur do 2 miles on Mon, Wed & Fri and take Sat off.  It's probably about time to bump my distance up a little bit so if I'm still feeling good on Thur this week I may go ahead and add a little.  I'm still hitting the gym at lunchtime most days to throw some weights around too.

No idea if I'm losing any lbs because there aren't many scales around and the ones we do have are pretty ragged so I don't think I'd trust them anyway.  I must be doing something right because a few people have commented on how much better I look.

My goal right now is to just try and stick with a routine for the next few weeks until I get home where it's easier to have more control over our food (my wife is great at finding low carb recipes that are tasty).

Jun 2, 2009
    44. Feb 20, 2013 11:04 AM (in response to jeb6294)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

almightyD - Great job! Wow, 73 lbs in 5 months is awesome. Really really impressed.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...