Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

399 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2013 8:55 PM by QincyNL
kencwalker Rookie 1 posts since
May 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 30, 2013 10:57 AM

ankle injury - when to see the doc?

Quick summary: I injured my ankle playing basketball 8 days ago. I rolled it, classic ankle sprain with swelling, blue/purple bruising and some pain. For the next 4 days I mostly followed the classic RICE therapy (rest/ice/compression/elevation - it was hard to keep the ankle elevated during the day.)  Also used sodium naproxen 2x day. Days 3-5 I started using heat (2x day). On Day 5, pain was gone (swelling down, but not gone), so I figured I'd go out for a run and stop immediately if it hurt. Good news - no pain, so did 6 "easy" miles (9:45 pace). Bad news - Dial forward to Monday, and my ankle & foot are swollen, even more bruising and it hurts! I resume RICE (No heat). Past 2 days aren't any better. OK, I realize I'm a knucklehead. So, how long do I continue RICE before getting medical advice?  Thanks in advance.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points