Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

842 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2013 7:57 AM by KLewis333 RSS
JuanZee Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 27, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 4, 2013 3:21 PM

Long runs, running shoes, decisions decisions...

Q: What type of running shoes do you use for long runs?

I've been using my Nike Flex's for my long runs (10+ miles)

and recently started using my Vibram 5 fingers for shorter runs.

• rb77 Amateur 37 posts since
    Oct 20, 2010
    1. Feb 11, 2013 5:41 PM (in response to JuanZee)

I wear Newton Gravity for all my runs.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Feb 12, 2013 12:50 PM (in response to JuanZee)

Hi JuanZee,

I utilize Addidas trail shoes for longer runs to help with building endurance and leg strength.  For all my shorter routes, I wear some variety of Nke (typically Lunarglide, Vomero or Zoom).  I rotate out all shoes on a daily basis.  It is a good idea to have many pairs (same brand/model is okay, but not the same shoes for every outing).  They loose the support quickly (even if the tread looks okay) and start putting too much stress on the same ares over and over. 

Great topic... and wishing you all the best

• runnathon Rookie 6 posts since
    Feb 22, 2013
    3. Feb 23, 2013 1:53 AM (in response to JuanZee)

I'm enjoying my Invisible shoes (even though they've changed the name to Xero shoes!). Been about 18 months and after a few false starts because I didn't 'read the label' and did too much too soon, they feel so much better than the Nikes I interchange with.

• givman Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 4, 2013
    4. Mar 4, 2013 1:41 PM (in response to JuanZee)

hi there

I would use a good cushioned shoe for both types of run  dont rate the five fingers..think you will get injured wearing them whilst running on hard surfaces (Shin splints etc)

• KLewis333 Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 10, 2012
    5. Mar 5, 2013 7:57 AM (in response to JuanZee)

I run in Vibram FiveFingers for all runs. When it was a little colder out, I wore VivoBarefoots, since they had a little more insulation and offered me some protection from the snow. I've started transitioning to completely barefoot running, which has been great fun! I just start a run in Vibrams, then take them off and do closer to the tail end of my run completely barefoot. 

I used to run in Brooks shoes that I got fitted for. It took some time to transition so I wouldn't hurt myself by doing too much, too soon, but I think I'm permanently in the no-cushioned-shoes camp now.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...