Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

607 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2013 11:01 AM by deanscox RSS
deanscox Pro 107 posts since
Jan 3, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 11, 2013 3:36 PM

Nike ZM Elite 6 ow ow ow owwwwwwwwwwwww!

I put over 400 miles on my Nike Lunarfly 2's....probably about 100 too many, but I LOVED this shoe....I went to my local, highly specialized, running store and talked with them about how much I love the Lunarfly 2  Unfortunately, Nike discontinued the shoe.    The staff  brought out several for me to try on, and I finally settled on the ZM Elite 6.   Big mistake for me.  Over the past week and 30 miles, my hips, knees, ankles, calves....can you say entire legs....major pain!!!!   When I stand up after sitting for a while, I hobble for the first 10 steps.   I am taking 3 days off to recover, and thankfully found a website offering new, old stock, Lunarflies  for about 70 bucks including shippining.

There has to be a better way to find shoes and stay in a style and type that work well.   I am thinking of buying up every Lunarfly 2 in my size that I can find.

Any thoughts on this hit and miss process of finding the right shoes?

• crl8686 Legend 1,293 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    1. Feb 11, 2013 10:40 PM (in response to deanscox)
    Nike ZM Elite 6 ow ow ow owwwwwwwwwwwww!

The fact is that running shoe companies are always altering their existing models, starting up new models, and discontinuing older ones. The only reliable solution I have found is to always own two different styles (preferably from two different manufacturers) that fit me well. The two models can have very similar features, but then I always have a good backup option on hand if one of the models is discontinued or changed negatively.

Buying up all the available shoes in your size would work...problem is, only for a limited time. Eventually you will deplete your stock, whether via actual use or via shelf life degradation, and then you're back to square one.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,271 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Feb 12, 2013 6:46 AM (in response to deanscox)
    Re: Nike ZM Elite 6 ow ow ow owwwwwwwwwwwww!

The Zoom Elite 6 appears to have very similar characteristics to the LunarFly 2, so it's not clear why they bothered you so much.  OTOH, the LunarFly 2 is at least a 2 year old shoe (2010 vintage), which makes me wonder if you recently increased your mileage.  400 miles over 2 years or so is not a lot and certainly not 30 miles per week. At any rate, reputable running stores will usually take shoes back if they cause as many problems as you've had in such a short time.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...