Skip navigation

683 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2013 4:53 PM by Lesphoto460 RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 12, 2013 3:39 AM

Marathon Runners Club 32nd ANNUAL 7-MILE BRIDGE RUN Reviews

Share your experiences with the Marathon Runners Club 32nd ANNUAL 7-MILE BRIDGE RUN below Back to event details page.

• RobWardell Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 11, 2013

I live in CA.  We will be in Key West on April 13th.  I thought running this race with my 9 year-old daughter, while we were on vacation in Key West, would be a great father/daughter experience.  I got up at 2:45 AM PST to register for this event, preregistered on active.com and was registering myself at 3:00 AM on the dot.  The race was sold out in minutes and now neither of us are registered.  What's the point of holding a race if you can't even get registered?  My 9 year-old daughter will be very disappointed.  I'm going back to bed now.

• jdphilli86 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 11, 2013

Started registering at exactly 6 am EST and by the time I filled out all the information and read the extensive waiver and liability information that they said you HAD to read the registration had filled up (in less than 15 minutes)!

• SaraLG Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 15, 2012

Pretty sure this race was filled before open registration even started, by resident registration which started last week.  I understand giving residents a chance to register first but perhaps leave some registrations for non-local runners to have a shot at too?  I was ready to enter at 6 am sharp and it was already closed.  Last night it was open but marked as full.  This is a race I would travel for, with my family of 5, bringing those tourist dollars to the Keys.  It just makes economic sense to leave say 500 spots available for out-of-town runners.  This is a bucket list race for me and I am pretty sure I should just give up on it unless that policy changes.

• Jarmstro1 Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 15, 2011

I live in North Florida. Was SO thrilled when I got in last year. Well...we all know what happened last year. SO disappointing!! Tried again this year, registration opened as advertised and I was able to register with no hitches. I run approx 20 or so races per calendar year (5ks on up to an Ultra and the Goofy this past Jan). As a result, I am very familiar with registering on Active. I had no difficulties and I am not a Keys resident. This is just one of those races that everyone wants to do, and I know why of course, so it fills up in minutes! Unfortunately everyone cannot be accommodated, but I appreciate the registration being open to everyone, and I am looking SO forward to the run. It is a bucket list run for me! It is possible to get in, just keep trying!!  It has taken me two years!  Thanks volunteers for putting this race on!!

• twofacelady Amateur 10 posts since
    Mar 4, 2010

We are NOT Keys residents.  I had contacted Marathon Runners club last week to ask about resident registration and they told me no they do not have preference. Got up early, signed in to Active on two computers (one for me, one for spouse) went to registration page, kept refreshing as 6:00 approached, we both got in shortly after 6:00.  Chose NOT to read any fine print just to make the process faster. I signed in for myself on one computer, hubby on the other.  We both are registered!!!

• clazarow Amateur 16 posts since
    Oct 20, 2007

I tried to register last year at 6 a.m. did not get in as I tried to register myself and my husband...this year I was ready at 6 a.m., got in as soon as registration opened.  Completed my registration very quickly.....hurray...i am in.... tried to register my daughter, but was sold out..all in about 4 minutes.....takes fast internet and fast fingers.....NOT a keys resident!!!

• Lesphoto460 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 17, 2012

I sympathize with the people who attempted to register and couldn't, but please realize: 1. There are a limited number of participants who are allowed to register.

2. It was a lottery in the past-mail in your registration and hope you got in. Now it's online-but still a lottery. You're at the mercy of your home computer, modem, internet service provider and the servers at Active.  We were lucky and excited to successfully register-but fully prepared if one or the other of us couldn't get in. Good luck next year!  We'd love to have you and your tax dollars visit anytime!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...