Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

19111 Views 98 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2013 6:06 PM by JustGlori RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
  • Aspen8 Amateur 17 posts since
    Mar 29, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Feb 7, 2013 9:29 PM (in response to Aspen8)
    Anyone else starting out 2013 with C25K?

Hi, everyone!  Welcome to the new posters!

My schedule has been crazy lately and I haven't had much time for getting online.  When I've had a chance to try to come here, I've experienced a lot of trouble with this site, with page loading times so long I was tempted to heave my computer through the nearest window.  (Obviously, I need to learn to be a runner for stress relief.  Lol.)  Other times I just got system error messages and no page loaded at all.  Anyone else having those issues? 

Tomorrow, unless the snow starts too early for me to get out to the trail, I'll be doing the week 1 workout for the 13th time.    How pitiful is that?  Doesn't matter.  I'm actually enjoying it.  I'm finally really starting to feel like there's progress.  I'm definitely recovering my breath faster now after each jogging interval and am going a smidge faster for both the walking and the jogging segments.  And my shins hurt less.  Obviously I needed to put in some time doing some conditioning before I actually do the C25K program. I'm totally okay with that.  I'm determined that THIS time will be different and that I won't just "white knuckle" my way through the program hating every minute of it.

I'm glad to see so many people posting here.  I was trying to respond to everyone's posts earlier but I don't have time to do that this time.  It would be great to see this thread take off and see folks responding to and interacting with each other.  It seems like the original poster never made it back to check on her thread so it's not like there's anyone here who's "in charge" of it.  I think we should go ahead and make it our own if we want to. 

Good luck to everyone doing a workout in the next few days.  Stay warm!

• runswithcarrots Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 29, 2013
    61. Feb 9, 2013 8:31 AM (in response to Aspen8)

Hello!  I'm new this kind of thing.  I mean all of it.  This thread, heck, any online threads and most of all running!  Like many of you here I'd like to find a place to come when I need a little extra push and inspiration.  And this seems like the perfect place. 

I am a very overweight, 34 year old women who is determand to to not only lose weight and gain back my vitality, but also find a new passion for fitness and running.  For the past few years I have been working on learning all I can about nutrition an now its time for fitness.  I just completed week three of C25K!   I am nervous and excited about week 4.  I am training with it three times a week with some cross training on the off days with walking, weights, bike riding, skating and what ever else comes my way.  I do try to take a rest day once a week for recovery.  I have signed up for my first 5k in April and know I will be ready!

I am very excited and amaze myself everyday with what I am able to accomplish!  I am so glad places like this exist so we can share our stories.  I look forward to meeting new people along my journey!

Jan 29, 2013
    62. Feb 9, 2013 8:42 AM (in response to runswithcarrots)

Oh, and Aspen8, yes I have been having problems with this site too, lots of errors.  Hopefully it will get resolved soon. 

• Angie_Lanning Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 22, 2012
    63. Feb 9, 2013 5:32 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

Well I am on W8D2 as of today, it's taken a while to get this far but I love the program.  I am super slow but I swear in the begining I couldn't even do the 3 min and now I'm actively, very slow, doing 45 min....yes longer than the program says but I figure if I'm going slow I need to go longer.  I'm working on getting faster and planning on my first 5K in March.  I would love to find some support and people to just chat with.  I guess I should say, I'm turning 43 in a few day, still about 25lbs overweight and have NEVER run or even worked out so I hope this can become a new passion!!!  Good Luck to everyone !!!

Angie

• Sayseal Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 22, 2013
    64. Feb 10, 2013 4:09 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

Well, Week 1 is done. Whew! I feel AMAZING just for having completed it. I shall not feel defeated if I have to repeat this week (or any week) more than once. I definitely notice some changes in my body that I like...and some I don't like, such as sore ankles and muscles, which I think is to be expected.

Jan 29, 2013
    65. Feb 11, 2013 10:42 AM (in response to Sayseal)

Good job Sayseal and Angie!  I love how we are all at different levels of this program.  I also go very slow, walking at 2.5 and jogging at 4.0.  I have a few extra weeks after the program ends before my 5k, so I know I have some time to work on spead and to repeat some weeks if I need to.  

I went on a long bike ride this weekend with my family.  I was amazed how much easier it was from the last summer.   Today is the start of week 4.  And I'm kind of excited. 

Keep on running!

Stacy

Jan 29, 2013
    66. Feb 11, 2013 5:36 PM (in response to runswithcarrots)

OMG W4D1 kicked my bootie!  I got half way through it then had to walk most of the last two running sessions.  My lungs felt like they were closing up.  I just coulnt take deap enough breaths, even when walking I couldnt quite get there.  I have pretty bad asthma, well I used to untill I went on a plant based whole food diet.  It felt like it was coming back.  I'm sure it has to do with the cold I had yesterday. Yes, just yesterday.  Normally a cold could knock me out for a few days to a week, but this was gone in less then 24 hours.  I felt great today to run, but apparently my lungs were telling me otherwise.  Super bummed about that because I felt like I was doing so great with the progression and was really looking forward to completing today.  I knew it wouldnt be easy, but I at least wanted to complete all the running.  Anyway, we will see how Wednesday and Friday go, hopefully it was just my cold and those days will go better.

Hope everyone is staying healthy!

Stacy

• BeautifulMonster Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 10, 2013
    67. Feb 12, 2013 7:54 AM (in response to runswithcarrots)

I did W4D1 on Sunday and I gave up on the last running interval 5 seconds before I heard the voice on my app say "Cool Down".  I counted it as good and moved on to W4D2 today.  That was an abject failure.  I did not finish the second running interval, and did less than half the fourth.  I am going to repeat this workout until I can do it 3 days in a row.  I don't know if the problem was that on Tue & Thu I run in full dark and my route is less desirable, or that i started CrossFit 3 times a week last week.  It's really hard for someone who has never been fit or into exercise.  But I suppose that's the point.  I hope I am not exercising too much; I don't think so.  I will try W4D2 on Thursday again.

• Care2GetFit Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 3, 2013
    68. Feb 13, 2013 6:39 PM (in response to BeautifulMonster)

I'm doing W4D1 tomorrow and am really worried/intimidated.  Three minutes is still killer for me, so we'll see how 5 minutes goes.  I will give it my best, but like runswithcarrots and BeautifulMonster I may have to modify it until I can do week 4 the right way.  On the treadmill, I walk at 3.5 and run at 6, and I really hate to modify that, but if I need to slow down at this point, maybe I should.  I want to trust the program and my ability to do it!  Will post how is goes!

• jcyboron Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 28, 2013
    69. Feb 14, 2013 12:28 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I finally had a chance to get back here.  I've been able to stay on schedule, tomorrow will be W2D3 and so far so good.  I feel I had a little jump start on the program because a month or so ago I was able to jog a mile without stopping (first time ever).  So I am expecting to do well up until somewhere in week 5, looks like it will really start to get challenging then.  I know from reading these posts that if I end up having to repeat at that point, or wherever in the process... that's okay!  This week has been a struggle, my grandpa fell Sunday night and broke his leg and shoulder so I've been at the hospital a lot, not getting to bed at my normal time, making my 5am wake-up time hard.  But I haven't missed a day yet!  I can't wait until spring so I can move my running outside, I'm a big weeny when it comes to cold.  Living in Nebraska I will hope for getting outside toward the end of March at the earliest. 

Way to go you treadmill runners!  I hate treadmills!  I have been using a small 1/10 track at my gym, it circles a weight room so that is a little weird sometimes, but I think everyone is so focused on their own thing, they aren't seeing me looking like dork when I run

Keep it up everyone!

First 5k is May 25th... plenty of time!

Happy Valentine's Day!

• jefe13 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 14, 2012
    70. Feb 16, 2013 9:29 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I am starting the couch to 10k program.  I have run 5ks before, but I have not run a 5k and run the whole thing.  I thought by starting the couch to 10k program It will help me accomplish this.  I have started the couch to 5k before, but I have never finished the program.  I am hoping by posting here it will help me keep myself accountable!

• Care2GetFit Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 3, 2013
    71. Feb 17, 2013 6:19 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I have finished W4 days 1 and 2, ran the whole time when supposed to!  I do have to add another minute of walking after the second 3 minute run as I get a sideache at that point.  So proud of myself, feel so elated when I'm done, though I can't say I enjoy it while I'm doing it!  Maybe eventually?

• Angie_Lanning Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 22, 2012
    72. Feb 19, 2013 1:49 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

It is so good to see so many people here starting the program.  I finished by C25K on Sunday and my first 5K will be March 16th.  I will be running every other day till that day.  I hope I can keep it up and my speed will come along.  Everyone here seems to be doing a great job!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Angie

• Rlcarson1 Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 3, 2013
    73. Feb 20, 2013 12:27 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I completed Week 7 - Day 2 yesterday. I love my program as our leads have us run three different trails each week varying the intensity of each workout. Overall, I'm doing great. Completed running 30 minutes straight vs. 25 as they pushed us to run through the cool down. My first 5k is also March 16th.

• dazzlechick Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 19, 2013
    74. Feb 20, 2013 7:57 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

November 2011 I broke my leg in a pretty bad manner. As I started physical therapy I noticed that I was really out of shape. To the point where I was delusional in how in shape I thought I was!!! I realized then that I had never been a "skinny" adult. I had let myself go for the sake of taking care of my kids and family. I decided to change that and start taking care of myself. Beginning in November of 2012 I started doing a cycle class up to three times a week. I almost walked out of that first class!!! Getting through the holidays was tough but I managed to at least keep the scale from going up. At the beginning of this year I decided that my goal is now to finish my first ever 5K. I started looking for one and saw that there is the Bunny Rock on my 35th birthday no less!!! With butterflies in my stomach I signed up. I must have hovered over that "accept" button for about 5 minutes!!! Since the 5k is so close I went to the gym and wanted to see how well I did just running. This was the first time I have ever climbed onto a treadmill. As I was running I realized that I was actually doing it!! The minutes were going by and I was still running. I couldn't believe it.I stopped a lot but my longest run was for 7 minutes straight!! Simply amazing.  I looked at the time and saw that I had gone 2.5 miles in 40 minutes!!! I literally cried. I couldn't believe it.I must have looked like a crazy person to the other people in the gym.  A year ago i was in crutches and barely able to make it across the parking lot, and here I had just walked/ran/jogged 2.5 miles.

Since that day I have started the C25K. I am on W4D2 and am really looking forward to completing this 5k in under 30 mins!!

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...