Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

687 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2013 12:22 AM by Rlcarson1
LoriKorzen Rookie 5 posts since
Feb 4, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 18, 2013 3:02 PM

Discouraged...only on W2D2 with terrible knee pain

I just started the C25K program made it without a problem through W2D1 and when I finished I had pain in my left knee. I waited to run for 3 days, I just tried to run W2D2 went through the warm up walk without pain but as soon as I was to jog I had terrible pain in BOTH knees (the left more than the right) I didn't even jog 10 seconds.

I am so discouraged right now.

About 10 years ago I had a snowboarding accident where I tore my Meniscus in my left knee but had that taken care of and haven't really had any issues with it since.

Any ideas, treatment advice, anything???

I do have flat feet and overpronate but I bought the best shoes I could afford (Asics Gel Kayano 18) because I specifically wanted to avoid injuries. HELP!!! I really want to run!

I am assuming it is too late to try ice and stuff???

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    1. Feb 18, 2013 5:10 PM (in response to LoriKorzen)

I feel your pain, or have in the past, including the meniscus tear. I'm not a doc, just an overweight C25k grad.  Ice and stretch. Focus in your hamstrings, quads and hips.  Consider doing some cross training on a bike and most importantly do some strength training for your legs, hamstrings and quads.   I took time off for strength training and it made all the difference.  Good luck

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,400 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Feb 18, 2013 7:24 PM (in response to LoriKorzen)

I'm assuming the pain is "behind" the kneecap.  A little more time off may be needed.  As edensacres said, strength training for your legs will help, the quads in particular.  The other thing to check is your form.  Make sure you're planting your foot under your hips, and your knee should be flexed, not straight.  Overstriding - reaching forward with your foot and planting it well ahead of your body - can definitely lead to knee problems, as can landing with your knee straight/locked.  It tends to transfer forces up the leg to the knee.

Len

Len

• Rlcarson1 Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 3, 2013
    3. Feb 20, 2013 12:22 AM (in response to LoriKorzen)

It's never too late for icing. My good friend has problems with her knee. The local fleet feet suggested KT Tape and wrapping the knee. She runs pain free now!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...