Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

551 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2013 9:06 AM by lenzlaw RSS
Bill Davenport Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 1, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 21, 2013 11:31 AM

Race prices are becoming greedy

From experience putting on races sponsors pay for pretty much 95 percent if not all of a races expanses. Even with many "charity" or "good cause" events a percentage goes back to the club or organizer. I was pricing races last night one was charging what added up to be about 20$ per mile raced. pretty heavy profit there. I have no problem paying for a good event but come on! this has become ridiculous! I suppose it will continue as long as enough people are dumb enough to pay outrageous fees but its sad that we are losing the joy of running to profiteering

• Bayoumama Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 21, 2013
    1. Feb 22, 2013 6:14 AM (in response to Bill Davenport)

I found a non-timed fun 5k I wanted to do in my area, and the entry fee is $60! I know it's a fundraiser, but paying that much for a run that isn't even officiated is beyond me.

• ShelbyinMontana Pro 56 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010
    2. Feb 22, 2013 8:22 AM (in response to Bill Davenport)

I agree! I live in a really small town and the only race here in the next three months is a 5k mud run. They're charging a ten dollar parking fee for every car and a $25 "spectator fee". Twenty five bucks just to watch your loved ones cross the finish line!! Oh, and the entry fee is $80. The total cost for me to do this race and have my boyfriend, mom, dad and sister there- $190, for one race.

Shelby

"Through it all, each morning has patiently asked me, 'Why do you run today?' And over the course of the years, one simple answer has quietly become more clearly heard than all others: because I must."

-Dagny Scott

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Feb 22, 2013 9:06 AM (in response to ShelbyinMontana)

I live near Philly and prices are all over the place.  I tend to avoid the $35-$50 5Ks.   The Philly RnR Half (Sept.) is $85 and the Philly Half in November (registration not open yet) is probably $90.  That's crazy!  Luckily I live in an area where there are still reasonably priced races.  I have a $25 and a $28 5-miler, the Broad Street Run 10-miler for $38 (includes online processing fee), another 10-miler for $25, a $50 half and another half for $60 (pint glass and beer included).

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points