Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

958 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2013 6:34 AM by runbikerun07 RSS
krembo79 Rookie 2 posts since
Feb 22, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 22, 2013 1:24 PM

Starting C25K

Hi all,

I'm starting the C25K and was wondering if you guys combine it with gym workout the same day?

If so, do you workput before or after the run?

I'm still not sure regarding tredmil or not... it's too cold to run outside and the indoor track is only 55 yard long...

Thanks!

Eli

• robdf Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 6, 2013
    1. Feb 22, 2013 4:57 PM (in response to krembo79)
    Starting C25K

This is going to depend on your fitness level and goals...

I've been couch potat'ing for long enough that the C2K is actually a pretty hard workout.    I just completed W3R1 and the next day my legs muscles have had a healthy ache in them.   Adding squats and powercleans probably wouldn't add much to my rate of improvement and might very well leave me with an injury.

If I had started back into weightlifting 6-8 weeks ago and was a novice I'd probably spread the workload over the week by alternating days.

If I had been weightlifing for a year and was bordering on being an intermediate lifter I'd probably do my 30 minute runs on the same day as my lifting so that I would ensure adequate recovery times between workouts given the significantly higher workloads involved.

Today As I'm neither, I'm perfectly happy running the C2K without lifting and then adding in 3x/week lifting program while maintaining a steady state 5k - 3x a week program for for another 8 weeks to build a bit of a running base and a weightlifting base.

I'm more interested in strength and short distance running than ever running a marathon so my path would be to work up to intermediate strength levels and whatever a Hidgen 5k intermediate running type program could get me to.

just my thoughts, YMMV

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    2. Feb 22, 2013 8:46 PM (in response to krembo79)
    Starting C25K

I did both when I was doing C25K and still do both now, but I have the advantage of being able to split them up...running in the morning and weights at lunchtime.  You can do both at the same time but the theory is that one is going to suffer so do the one you want to emphasize more first.  One thing I will say is that I don't do leg workouts at all.  I figure I get enough of that runnign 5-6 mornings a week and just general activity during the week, i.e. walking job sites, stairs, etc.

• MrsBeal Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 12, 2012
    4. Feb 23, 2013 8:31 PM (in response to krembo79)
    Starting C25K

I do them on the same day I just do one in the morning and one in the evening.

• runbikerun07 Rookie 6 posts since
    Sep 19, 2007
    5. Feb 24, 2013 6:34 AM (in response to krembo79)
    Starting C25K

I am starting today!  I have run off and on for years, but have been off since last summer.  So, it is starting over!  I am looking forward to this community of C25k!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...