Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

21501 Views 98 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2013 6:06 PM by JustGlori RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
  • MrsBeal Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 12, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Feb 23, 2013 8:36 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)
    Anyone else starting out 2013 with C25K?

I started D1 W5 today. I usually add a little bit more mileage to get in a good workout. So far so good. For example I usually finish at about a 1.5 miles or so but I try to go to at least 1 additional including the cool down period. Today I did almost 3. I must say the 5 minute runs are hard but I made it through.

• SHARKDIESEL Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 24, 2013
    76. Feb 24, 2013 9:07 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

Count me in!  Just finished R1 W5.  I'm a big guy... think nfl lineman size... 6'5" (currently down to 356 from 387 since I start c25k and cleaned up my diet... LOL) I've always been athletic played sports and lifted heavy weights but always shied away from running any  sort of distance.  My coaches never really forced me to run anything other than sprints as a youngster.

I'm so excited... I haven't had 6 consecutive weeks of weightloss since I did Atkins in like 2002.  Got down to 288 for about 10 hours back then... then started creeping back up after I got married and went on a cruise for honeymoon. 

I'm so looking forward to being able to run a race later on this year... Just came across this thread and thought I'd post.  I'll check back in with you all.  See you at the finish line.  BIG MIKE

• ERue Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    77. Feb 26, 2013 11:06 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I just started last week. I'm on D2 W2. So far, so good. I finally feel like my body is somewhat recovered from having 3 kids in 4.5 years, so running/walking doesn't feel as stressful anymore.

• jcyboron Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 28, 2013
    78. Mar 1, 2013 9:44 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I'm back!  I just love reading the new posts!  It's so nice to know that there are others like me!

So, today I finished week 4!  I must say... after W4 D1 I was preparing myself to repeat week 4... but after today, I feel good, I'm going to keep moving right along with the program.  I am freaking out a little because W5 D3 shows running/jogging for 20 minutes without stopping... yikes!  But I am going to trust the program and see how it goes

W4 D1 - super tired legs (I'm thinking from my body sculpting class on Tues & Thurs mornings, maybe that's why they are tired).

W4 D2 - decided to slow my pace a little to make it through, that helped.

W4 D3 - this morning, kept a slower pace like Wednesday and did even better than Wednesday.

I'm going to have to get it through my head that the speed will come later, right now I have to just NOT STOP...

Keep up the good work everyone!

Signing up for at least two 5k's this year... first 5k is May 25th!

• BeautifulMonster Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 10, 2013
    79. Mar 1, 2013 10:58 AM (in response to jcyboron)

I have, at this point, done 7 W4 runs.  Partially it's because I had to change my workout schedule...when I started Crossfit I would up doing that workout and running 12 hours apart, NOT good.  When I have rested properly (and I don't do hills) I can do the W4 run.

I feel ready to move on to W5 SD1 now.  I will probably be running W5 D1 for a couple of weeks.   I can see why people get stuck on W5.  It looks really scary!  But I definitely feel stronger, and my CrossFit trainer (who is also a runner and endurance athlete) and one of my CrossFit class members helped me with my gait, so I feel much more confident and my feet hurt so much less when I run.  Keep going everyone!  Even if you have to keep repeating!

• runswithcarrots Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 29, 2013
    80. Mar 2, 2013 7:20 PM (in response to BeautifulMonster)

Hey everyone!

It's been a few weeks since I checked in, and I'd like to say its because I've been busy.  But that would be a lie. I fell off the face of the running sphere after my last post.  Week 4 got a little tuff and I ran for the hills, or rather took a cab.   But I'm back now and looking for some motivation.  You have all done so great!  I love reading through everyone's progress.  I plan to get back on the treadmill in the morning so will check back in and let you know how it goes after a few week absence. 

Happy Running!

Stacy

• MegaDan88 Amateur 26 posts since
    Mar 1, 2013
    81. Mar 3, 2013 5:44 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

Let me start by saying I love this post and so proud of everyone who has started a C25K or similiar program. I feel a comradeship because I went thru it a long time ago which ended in running a marathon (Los Angeles 1994), then recently started it up a second time. So I consider myself a twice beginning runner. Although not doing a traditional C25K, I went thru two periods of couch potato to running a 5k or more, so I guess that more or less qualifies.

I just would like to throw in a few cents which may bring some sense/ideas/thoughts to this thing we call running.

1. Everyone is different. Not a shocker, but what I"m saying is what works for one person may not necessarily work for another person. One may like to run on a treadmill, one may like to run outdoors, one may want to run only, one may want to do alot of crosstraining. One person swears that your not a runner unless your loggin 60+ miles a week, another may say if your not doing more than two speedworkouts a week, your not going to be fast, one person is trying to break the 10 minute mil barrier for a 5k, another is trying to break 5 min per mile barrier for 5k, but both climb the same mountain of runningness... yadda, yadda. Bottom line is, find what works for you. (Seems for me interleaving running with cross training has worked well and kept running from becoming "stale" or constantly battling injuries and DNF's (did not finish).
    2. Set short term goals, medium term goals, and long term goals. Nothing motivates more than success. And that's achieving goals. For example, 19 years ago my running partner and I decided that in about 14 months we would run the LA marathon. Not only run it, but achieve a respectable time. And shook on it and made sure great shame would fall on the person who backed out lol Well, that was our long term goal, the medium goal was to set up 5k, 10ks, and one half-marathon race spaced appropriately up to that race. And we spaced them enough to see progress, which is important and motivating too. Our short term goals was to complete whatever workouts of the week, and the day to day. The point I'm trying to make is, set a race or something far off in the distance, and then work a training program up to it. I found that worked alot better for me than say, just training and working out, and deciding to run some race sometime in the future.
    3. Once in a while, you will not finish a workout or want to quit. Well, don't quit. Remember that it's not about being undefeated, but winning the world series or Super Bowl or whatever metaphor one wishes. Remember that the Baltimore Ravens in 2012 won the Super Bowl, but also lost 6 regular season games. Think of running on the big picture, not each individual workout.
    4. Listen to your body, If your legs are sore and stiff, yet your schedule calls for a hard tempo or interval, perhaps it's best to just take the day off. Put it off later. A day of rest is definitely part of the training and important to your bodies recovery. Don't be scared of it. Many times I've take several days off, and one time I took 10 days off, and refreshed my legs, avoided injury, and became a stronger runner. Listen to the body. Start slow and build.
    5. Variety is the spice of life. I think this is true in running as well. Put in some long runs, put in some tempos, put in some fast 400 meter intervals, put in some easy runs, run outside, run on the treadmill, crosstrain. I find that by doing all these things, it prevents it from becoming mundane, stall, or boring by running the same loops, the same course, over and over again. My preference in a typical example week is to run some sort of speed workout, then crosstrain, then regular run, then day off, then either crosstrain or tempo run, then crosstrain, then day off. (Two days off seem to work with me as a full time worker and dad and busy life, I know some runners who take one day off and some that take no days off. That may work for them, but not for me).
    6. Final thought, enjoy the zen of it. Enjoy the experience. Embrace the struggle, the pain, the pleasure, and what have you. Make it your friend. When you feel that familiar burning or "huff puffing" or whatever, associate it with sucess. That's the feeling of success. And it is. The mind is a strong weapon in running, make it work for you. (This doesn't mean to embrace serious pain like injury type pains, of course).

Well, thanks for reading this far and look forward to sharing more and experience your sharingness.

~D

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep."

Robert Frost

Los Angeles Marathon on March of 1994: 3 hr 28 min 9 sec

Run with Santa 5k on 12/22/12: 25 min 19 sec

Mardi Gras 5k on 02/09/13: 24 min 50 sec

Cirque Du Soleil 5k on 03/16/13: 23 min 33 sec

Douglas Green Memorial 5k on 05/18/13: 22 min 47 sec

4th of July 5k Blast on 07/04/13:???

• runswithcarrots Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 29, 2013
    82. Mar 4, 2013 10:41 AM (in response to MegaDan88)

Thank you MegaDan!  That was beautiful and motivational.   I hope you come back often as I will look forward to your regular affirmations.

Happy Running,

Stacy  

• PeterME Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 4, 2013
    83. Mar 4, 2013 1:40 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

Yet another beginning runner who has just started C25K last week.  Did W2 D1 yesterday and while I made it through it was a near thing

At 57 I've taken up running - not entirely sure whether I've also taken leave of my senses

Peter

• LrningToRun Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 23, 2013
    84. Mar 6, 2013 6:43 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)
    Re: Anyone else starting out 2013 with C25K?

I've been gone for a minute but was still in the program.  I'm super excited because i've never made it past W3D1.  I'm happy to report that today i'll be doing W5D2!!!!!  I'm nervous about W5D3 but determined to do it.  Hang in there everyone!

• Salagleen Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 6, 2013
    85. Mar 6, 2013 8:30 AM (in response to MegaDan88)

Thanks for your suggestions & motivation!  My next run is W9, D1, so I'm preparing for the transition to running without guidance.  Truthfully, I'll probably use some other program to 'help' me, but I like the idea of having the freedom to shake things up.  I had a hip replacement in the spring, so I need the flexibility of listening to my body.  I've done C25K without any modification, other than I'm on the treadmill.  Michigan  winters aren't compatible with steady outdoor footing.  I'm looking forward to running outdoors eventually and may even consider a 5K.  I was a runner in my early adulthood and ran for health, but also for the sheer enjoyment of it.  Goals are great, but not always the only way. I just finished Sakyong Mipham's "Running with the Mind of Meditation:  Lessons for Training Body and Mind".  It's a great book for meditators starting to run.  It's probably less helpful for runners who want to meditate.  An established meditation practice is assumed and that's really hard to learn that from a book. But I digress.  I would be interested in hearing from others what tools/tricks they used in transitioning from C25K to running ad lib.

• MarkEichenlaub Amateur 18 posts since
    Jun 17, 2012
    86. Mar 10, 2013 4:15 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

If anyone here is really struggling to work through the C25K I coach a class for this at night and also do individual coaching to get runners ready for a 5k at their own pace, not some preset plan and I'd love to help out anyone in need. 

If interested I can provide testimonials, credentials, etc. after we do an initial survey of your goals and history.  I can be reached at teachtorun.com.

Blogging about motivation, injury prevention and training lessons I've learned at TeachtoRun.com and working on "The Ultimate 5k Plan" at HowtoRun5k.com.

• jcyboron Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 28, 2013
    87. Mar 18, 2013 7:35 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

Checking back in!  Sounds like everyone is doing well...

I just did W7 D1 this morning and it went well.  I think I finally have my breathing under control.  When I first started running/jogging by husband asked if I had asthma (I do not)

Looks like I will be finishing my C25k program in the gym, it's just not warming up very quickly here in Nebraska.  After I finish then I will hopefully be able to make the transition to the outdoors.  I sense a struggle at that point with hills, weather conditions and running surfaces BUT am looking forward to getting out of the gym. 

The week after I finish this program I will be in Phoenix for a few days, looking forward to getting in a few runs there... outside of course!

Once I transition outdoors, I will work a little more on speed.  I range anywhere from 10-11min miles (that includes that 5 min walking warm up and 5 min walking cool down).

Good luck to everyone!

10wks until my first 5k!

• Navymama2011 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 23, 2012
    88. Apr 8, 2013 5:02 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

Love to see there are so many of us out there who want to do the running thing but are still having those moments where we question our sanity. I did begin the year with C25K and made it thru D1 W4 before life and laziness caught up with me. That was the beginning of March now four weeks later I can say I have completed D3 W4 and I am planning on continuing to the dreaded W5 (with a second week of W4 I believe). Although I think I will give myself some slack because even though I lost three weeks I did start again and still did my planned 5K this past weekend on the 7th. My time was miserable but I completed it and that was my short term goal right now.

On Wednesday I shall begin my (2nd) W4 just to keep me going and hopefully find that I have better luck with it this time around.

Good luck to everyone and hopefully we can all get through this.

Michele

• c25kClint Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 8, 2013
    89. Apr 9, 2013 3:21 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I started in Feb at 316lb and last week I managed to complete a week of the week 3 exercises. I am slow as a trickle but getting there!

Started C25K February 2013

Graduated C25K June 16 2013

Share my journey

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...