Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2019 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2013 9:14 AM by Billy137 RSS
ANNIE1313 Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 10, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 24, 2013 7:29 AM

Is training too early possible

Hi everyone I'm 60 years old and running half marathon in October 2013 is training now too early and any pointers , tips

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Feb 24, 2013 9:11 AM (in response to ANNIE1313)

It's never too early, but you have to start with your current abilities and ramp up from there.  Find a good plan and you can stretch it out as needed.  One good source is HalHigdon.com.  The summer gets pretty warm and can slow you down so taking the extra time can be a good thing.

Len

Len

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    2. Feb 25, 2013 11:15 AM (in response to ANNIE1313)

I agree it is never to early to start training.

Right now you want to be laying the foundation that your will be building on to run the half.

Personally I would not want to start the training program for the half if I could not easily go out and run 7 miles.

you need to find yourself a good half marathon training program on the internet and make sure that you could easily handle the first few weeks of it.

Art

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• PeterME Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 4, 2013
    3. Mar 4, 2013 2:32 PM (in response to ANNIE1313)

Can we assume that you are starting from not being a runner and intend to run a half marathon in not quite 8 months?

There are different aspects to training, and where you start from matters a great deal.  If you are starting as a non-runner, then there's an entire level of training required just to get your body ready for the challenge of running 13.1 miles.  That training is different from the training that you do leading up to doing the race itself.

Training targeted for a specific race can begin too early.  Training to be able to run the distance - that you cannot begin too early - but you can begin too late.

Peter

• Billy137 Amateur 14 posts since
    Feb 8, 2012
    4. Mar 6, 2013 9:14 AM (in response to ANNIE1313)

I think Peter says it best.  You really wouldn't want a race specific program 8 months out, but training overall can never be too early.  You need to build a base, and the sooner you do that the better. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points