Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3071 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2013 3:58 PM by Jwatford RSS
sara1171 Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 8, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 2, 2011 2:06 PM

moving from 5k to 10k....

I am nervous and looking at possibly running a 10 k 5/14.  I have yet to run an intire 5k but have come very close walking less and less each time...  This week I am gonna focus on running the whole 3.1 miles and than interval walk/run the second 3.1. Would apprecitate any advice...

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. May 5, 2011 7:29 AM (in response to sara1171)
    Re: moving from 5k to 10k....

5/14 is pretty close, you are not going to gain any fitness between now and then.  But one way to get comfortable with a 5K is get thought a 10K.  Walk if when you need and start in the back.

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    2. May 3, 2011 10:46 AM (in response to sara1171)

Make sure that you are able to cover the entire distance - 10K - before the race.  There isn't any pressure on you to run the entire thing.  You can plan for completing the entire distance in intervals - run a bit then walk some, repeat the process, instead of trying to run as far as you can then do the interval.  The important thing is to know how long a 10K is, to get your body used to the distance and the effort needed to go from start to finish.  Good luck with it and enjoy it.  Don't try too hard to run further than your body will allow you.  Listen to it and make sure you take the day before the race off and rest so you can be fresh on the 14th.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• formicok Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 6, 2009
    3. May 5, 2011 7:10 AM (in response to sara1171)

Here's my advice...and so that you have some context, here's a little about myself.

I don't consider myself a "runner", but I do enjoy how running helps to keep me burn calories and stay fit.

I run in about ten 5K races a year.  On my best day I run 7:50 to 8:00 miles (again, on my best day), so I'm not burning up any courses.

I try to run about 2 to 3 times a week and I always run at least a 5K.  I did do interval workouts during the week but got away from those, but I think I'm going to start them up again with longer distances than just 5K.

So here's my advice on moving from a 5K RACE to a 10K RACE:

If I were you I wouldn't move to the 10K RACE until I felt that there wasn't anything more that I could do with the 5K RACE (for instance consistently run the entire length, get enough experience with pushing your body in a race so that you can determine how that translates to your best mile times, get enough experience with 5K RACES so that you can determine if you're a top 10 finisher in your gender/age bracket, middle of the pack finisher, or just glad to finish the entire race without stopping/walking).

I'm not sure what your hurry is to run a 10K RACE, you can have A LOT of fun at 5K RACES and benefit your body as you train for 5K RACES.

I personally don't think that RACES are the place for interval training.  Treadmills and mapmyrun.com were made for interval training, RACES are for running.

One final comment....last weekend in the city where I live was the Broad Street RUN, a ten mile race that drew 30,000 people.  I didn't attend that race because I haven't trained for that distance, Notice that the name of the event is the Broad Street RUN, not the Broad Street RUN, WALK, RUN, WALK, RUN, WALK, RUN, WALK, RUN...yet about half of the people that I know that attended that race do it in intervals....that's not an accomplishment to me, that's just a 10 mile training session.

• laharris7 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 14, 2011
    4. May 6, 2011 5:38 AM (in response to formicok)

I think you need to be more encouraging.  Just because intervals at a race are not for you, doesn't mean that they aren't for the next person.

Since you run an 8min/mile, you have nothing to worry about with interval runners, they are most likely behind you on the course.

I say go for the 10k but start at the back of the pack, so your not acting like a speed bump for the other runners.  Take you time and listen to your body.  I do agree with making sure you can even go that distance.  Even if it's only walking, make sure your feet can handle it.

I've only been running since Sept 2010.  I could never make it over the 1 mile mark while running.  Mentally I was stuck.  So I signed up for a 5K Turkey Trot, with every intention of running 5 mins./walking 5 mins.  Turns out I ran the whole thing, I actually tried to walk at one point and my legs said "Hell NO, if I stopped running I wouldn't have started back up again."

I ran another 5k, last month after a long winter of a love/hate relationship with the treadmills at my gym.

To date, I've never made it over the 3.5 mile distance mark while running.  However, with the way my head works, the only way I can get over the hump is to sign up for a race.  So this Sunday I'm running a 5 mile, Women's Running Race for Mother's Day.  I'm scared and nervous about going that far.  My body hurts just thinking about it.  But the way I see it, if you don't try, you'll never know.  And maybe you'll surprise yourself with what your really capable of.

11/25/10 - 5K - Turkey Trot - 31:27

4/16/11 - 5K - Otter Creek Trail Run - 31:28

5/8/11 - 5 Mile - Women's Runnning Race - 52:27

7/4/11 - 5K - Independence Day Run - 30:56

11/24/11 - 10K - Turkey Trot- 1.01:37

5/13/12 - 5 Mile - Women's Runnning Race - 57:09

7/4/12 - 5K - Independence Day Run - 32:00

10/13/12 - Hartford ING Half Marathon - 2.36:03

4/6/13 - 5k - Kid's Place - 29.00 New PR !!!

• allmylove Expert 51 posts since
    Apr 24, 2011
    5. Aug 21, 2011 12:59 PM (in response to laharris7)

laharris7: I'm so glad I found your post.  I have such a mental block issue and its really good to see I'm not the only one out there.  I'm still in the middle of my C25K, starting week 6 tomorrow, so I got past a major block last week.  But perhaps when I encounter one in the future, I'll try putting it to the test in a race.  Thanks!

• laharris7 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 14, 2011
    6. Nov 16, 2011 6:32 AM (in response to allmylove)

I'm just glad I'm not the only one that has these mental blocks at the early running stage.  I hear about it happening all the time with the marathon runners, but no one ever really talks about the short distances, that to people like me, are a marathon!

I'll be attempting my frist 10K next week.  I made my husband drive the course with me so I could see what was in store for me.  The whole time, I'm making comments about how a little speed bump type of hill, looked like Mount Everest! Luckily he's super supportive to my goals and he said he has already mapped out where the nearest hospital is. 

11/25/10 - 5K - Turkey Trot - 31:27

4/16/11 - 5K - Otter Creek Trail Run - 31:28

5/8/11 - 5 Mile - Women's Runnning Race - 52:27

7/4/11 - 5K - Independence Day Run - 30:56

11/24/11 - 10K - Turkey Trot- 1.01:37

5/13/12 - 5 Mile - Women's Runnning Race - 57:09

7/4/12 - 5K - Independence Day Run - 32:00

10/13/12 - Hartford ING Half Marathon - 2.36:03

4/6/13 - 5k - Kid's Place - 29.00 New PR !!!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    7. Nov 17, 2011 6:12 AM (in response to laharris7)

Everyone has mental blocks on new distances!    I have them during my marthons cycles during training runs that I have not run that far during the cycle.  It's okay and kind of good.  Enjoy

• Jwatford Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 25, 2012
    8. Mar 6, 2013 3:58 PM (in response to sara1171)

I'm a newbie runner (about 6 months in) and have completed 2 5Ks.   I hope to run in my first 10K on July 4 of this year at the Atlanta Peachtree Road Race.   I know I can handle the distance running because I do it every weekend but I would really like to have a decent time on it.   I encourage you to try the 10K, I mean, what do you have to lose?   May of 2014 is plenty of time to train and be ready. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points