Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

415 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2013 8:29 AM by jfsmith812
jfsmith812 Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 7, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 7, 2013 12:09 PM

Groin Pain - 10 weeks

Hi Everyone,

I'm a very active/fit 27 y/o female (English professor and dance instructor), and I've been struggling with groin pain for the last 10 weeks or so. There was NO acute injury to the area. I got an MRI today but I won't hear the results for a bit. My weekly activities include dancing, running, kickboxing, Zumba, and boot camp.

Over the last 10 weeks or so, I've had a nagging groin/adductor pain going on (right side). The pain is very minimal, but it has gotten progressively worse. My adductor feels extremely tight, and I've avoided stretching it.

The only pain is pretty much where my adductor tendons attach to the pubis bone. I can press on the pubis bone and feel a tender spot. There is a cyst in this area, according to an X-Ray, but I've had that for at least 5 years because it showed up on a previous scan for an unrelated issue.

I can run slowly with pretty much no pain whatsoever, but if I pick up the pace past something like a 10-minute mile, I can feel my adductor protesting.

If I do a plank or bicycle twist to the left, I can feel it in my groin as a tightness or an ache. 

I've been resting on and off, icing, NSAIDs... no cure. I've also gone to ~7 ART sessions.

It's less the pain that's keeping me from full on workouts and more of the fear of damaging anything that's already there.

I have been googling like crazy - which doesn't help, very much. But none of my symptoms seem to match up exactly to anything.

Does this sound like a tendon strain? Labral tear? Hernia? What are your thoughts? Obviously, no one can diagnose me over the internet, but any help is very much appreciated.

X-Ray:

showed no stress fracture; only showed the cyst

MRI:

waiting to hear

Me:

I'm a dance instructor, and I work out pretty  much every day. I also eat very well and I have to take care of my body because I have Crohn's and thyroid disease.

I'm also a light runner (it's the only thing that makes me feel fit!). I typically run two to three 5Ks per week. I began to run a bit faster (worked my mile time from an 8.5 average to an 8 or so this past December).

Sports Med History:

osteochondritis dessican, age 10 - ankle scope

reconstructed ACL, right knee, age 16

repaired lateral meniscus, right knee, age 16

repaired lateral meniscus, right knee, age 22

"extra bone" found in the back of left knee, needle scope took care of it - age 26

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,167 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Mar 7, 2013 4:18 PM (in response to jfsmith812)
    Re: Groin Pain - 10 weeks

I think you are overworking yourself, and need to cut back some. It's hard to slow down an overachiever, but injuries have a way of forcing the issue. Almost everything you list as an activity requires a healthy adductor group to avoid injury. There is a physical limit to how fit the human body can become, but you must supply the conscious limit to your training.

Please read the artice below in its entirety about treatment for adductor strain injuries that fail to show much during imaging. The important take-home message is that the more overworked a muscle group is, the less flexible it may become, and the more prone to serious injury it will be. Don't wait for a serious injury to start relaxing this important muscle group.

Two things I have written about in the past that are important to you now, are: (1) Most adductor muscles are hip flexors, too, which means you will feel them more the faster you go. (2) If the rate of breakdown exceeds the rate of repair, you must address the rate of breakdown. Manual techniques often improve rate of repair, but there is a limit to this natural healing process that must not be exceeded by the rate of breakdown.

Note the cautions about avulsion fracture in the following article. The risk of avulsion fracture, stress reaction, or anything ending in "itis" will increase if you do not bring your training goals in line with your healing process.

Good luck with your MRI. I hope it does not show further damage. If it does, a change in workload is mandatory.

http://www.massagetherapy.com/articles/index.php/article_id/1858/Adductor-Muscle-Tendon-Injuries

You have probably studied your Crohn's/Thyroid problem in detail, but there is a link between thyroid malfunction and fluoride in drinking water, something that athletes in particular may be overexposed to during frequent hydration. There is no requirement by the human body for fluoride, which targets and subtly destroys thyroid tissue over time. Bear in mind that it is present in all foods processed with municipal water, and can be overrepresented in your diet even when you drink purified water (which may still contain fluoride).

http://suite101.com/article/crohns-disease-and-low-thyroid-a366819

Message was edited by: James Johnson LMT

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points