Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2457 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2013 3:32 PM by RunningNut3 RSS
JennaBeck Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 24, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 3, 2013 8:04 PM

Need help with marathon training!

Ok so I've been training for my first full marathon for 10 weeks now and my training has been going pretty well and I haven't missed but only 2 mid week short runs. The Last week or two I've been feeling pretty fatigued in my legs but especially my feet. I'm running 4 days a week and I'm wondering if I'm over training because my feet feel tired and hurt sometimes. I cant miss anymore runs bc i have only 6 weeks until my marathon. Has anyone ever experienced and have advice on what to do?

Thx!!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Feb 4, 2013 6:21 AM (in response to JennaBeck)

How old are your shoes, they need changing out at between 300-500 miles.  I like to have about 100 miles on my shoes come race day.  My 1st couple of marathon cycle my feet  hurt and felt tired also.  How many mile a week are you running?  I think you are fine you are just in the doldrums of the plan, it will get better during your taper.  But this is also where people do overtrain and get hurt, if you need take a extra day off.  Good luck

• Alfred Fordan Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 25, 2010
    2. Feb 10, 2013 1:08 PM (in response to JennaBeck)

You should be rotating your shoes. Ideally, you would have multiple pairs that are different brands/models. Each one would stress your feet in a slightly different manner, allowing you to heal while still being able to run.

Or it could be as simple as your body telling you to lay off and get some rest. Still do your long run each week, but skip some days running mid-week. If you feel like you have to do some cardio, cross train by swimming. I wouldn't bike though or do any other activity that heavily stresses your legs as that would defeat the purpose.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,339 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Feb 10, 2013 7:10 PM (in response to JennaBeck)

The only thing I can think of, that hasn't been mentioned yet, is pace on your runs, particularly your long run.  Running too fast/hard on your long run, or doing too many hard paced workouts during the week, will leave you with tired legs and a feeling of over-training.

Len

Len

• robertjessica Amateur 16 posts since
    Dec 28, 2007
    4. Mar 4, 2013 4:13 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

The less I run, the better I feel.  I never run more than 3 days a week.....even in the heat of Marathon Training!  I do 2 days of cross training, so I'm working out 5 days a week.  I never run past 18 or 20 for my longest run anymore (sometimes only 16).  I always run a mile walk 30 seconds - 1 minute to let my body recover (during both training and the actual race).   Also, mentally, it is soooo much easier to only have to "run a mile"!  It may sound lazy, but this is how I get my fastest times and keep injury free. I manage to BQ doing these "lazy" techniques too!  Believe me....I used to be the queen of overtraining injuries!  Don't wanna go there!  Anyways....this is just what I've slowly pieced together for myself after years of waaaayyy too much abuse to my body.  Good luck to you!

• RobertPomykala Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 30, 2012
    5. Mar 7, 2013 7:43 AM (in response to JennaBeck)
    Re: Need help with marathon training!

After running 50 marathon, from 3:15 to now 4:30, concentrate on two things: long easy slow runs AND listen to your body. Rest is sometimes more important than training.

• RunningNut3 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 6, 2013
    6. Mar 7, 2013 3:32 PM (in response to RobertPomykala)
    Re: Need help with marathon training!

I think one of the biggest mistakes i've made (which i'm trying not to anymore) is running my long runs too hard. All I end up doing is wearing myself out. This training cycle, i'm running more than I did last time, but at much different intensities..I'm fresher than last time and don't have nearly the aches and pains.

Using a heart rate monitor on my long runs has helped me keep the intensities down..I have a screen on my garmin that has just my heart rate, no other information. I do my best to keep it in a particular range and let the pace fall where it is, don't even know my pace until my run is done.

I'm also much more aware of using my recovery days as recovery days. I'm not spending 8 hours in the woodshop like I was.

RunningBrief - Free weekly email digest by runners for runners
    Geek Turned Runner - Blog

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points