Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

945 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2013 5:00 PM by ultimatehlth
heidi2003 Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 7, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 7, 2013 6:38 PM

Advice for a newbie

Please help!  I just started running this year.  I started at running about 2 miles a day, now I'm up to 4-5 miles a day.  But lately my hips have been bothering me.  Is this normal?  Is there something I can do to relieve the ache and pain?  If so, please let me know!!  Thanks!!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,430 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Mar 8, 2013 5:55 AM (in response to heidi2003)
    Advice for a newbie

I'm going to take your post at face value - that "2 miles a day" and "4-5 miles a day" mean every day, as in 7 days a week. Hopefully not, because that is "too much, too soon" for a beginner.  2 miles a day, every other day, wouldn't be too bad to start if you're taking it easy.  Even so, increasing to 4-5 miles per run in two months is pretty steep and could very well be the source of your hip pain.  Your muscles obviously need time to adapt to the increased workload, but the rest of your musculoskeletal system - tendons, ligament, joints, bones - is equally, if not moreso, in need of time to adjust. You're probably going to have to take time off until the pain is gone, then re-introduce running more gradually.

Len

Len

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    2. Mar 8, 2013 7:40 AM (in response to heidi2003)
    Advice for a newbie

Heidi- Len knows what he is talking about, trust him.  This forum has taught me that the general rule is to not increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% each week, and that you should have some fall back weeks where you cover less mileage to give your body a chance to recover.    Other thought-  shoes - did you go to a running store to have your gait examined before selecting your shoes?

I expereinced some hip pain as well early on as well (but not from over use).  I make a concerted effort to stretch my hips and I periodicaly search youtube for "yoga for runners hip exercises" and do some hip opening exercises.  But again, I trust in Len, sounds like over use.

Good luck!

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• gilbertholdings Amateur 27 posts since
    Mar 6, 2013
    3. Mar 21, 2013 8:40 AM (in response to heidi2003)
    Advice for a newbie

i'd slow down a bit.  make sure you have rest days until you build up.  sounds like you built up pretty quickly so maybe you were just pushing yourself to hard.

Negative Ion Bracelets, Necklaces, and Accessories

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    4. Mar 29, 2013 5:00 PM (in response to heidi2003)
    Advice for a newbie

Have someone check your gait, run on ideally a dirt track or trail and make sure you are using new properly fitted shoes. I would recommend that you rest the hips for a week - 10 days, ice regularly, use a foam roller and when pain subsides start back slowly, everyother day. 10% per week farther is a good rule of thumb. You can augment your running with cycling for good results.

Best,

Personal Trainer Hollywood - Los Angeles

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points