Skip navigation

496 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2013 5:16 PM by thefirecat RSS
thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 8, 2013 5:16 PM

RubyBPG

It's occurred to me that I need to post this news here as well. Some of you long-time posters and lurkers might remember RubyPBG, one of our fellow MCMers dating back at least as far as 2007, I believe (Len, correct me if I'm wrong). In 2010, after dropping out of the race at Mile 18, Ruby was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Radiation was pretty successful, and Ruby bounced back to run the MCM Historic Half in 2011 and spectate with her husband (both in costume with awesome signs) on the Mall at MCM 2011. Sadly, there's a limit to the amount of radiation the human brain can accept, and Ruby reached that limit. Chemo had no effect, and there were no other treatment options available.

The past six months, Ruby's health had been failing her and she was ultimately bedbound. Len and I went to see her in early January, knowing we were saying goodbye. A group of MCM friends had sent her flowers that week, and they were overflowing all over the bureau opposite where her bed was raised, red and gold and her favourite stargazer lilies.

Her husband called me Thursday night of last week to tell me our Ruby died peacefully in her sleep sometime in the early morning hours of Thursday, 28 February, 2013.

Bravo zulu, Ruby. A race well run. We will always remember you, your encouragement, your laugh, your infectious energy, and above all your boundless love.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...