Skip navigation

1266 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2013 4:39 PM by CoachSteve35
zfense Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 5, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 25, 2013 8:23 PM

Grades 3-6th Are 10 feet reg hoops really appropriate

I would like feedback on the pros and cons to grade school kids shooting on and playing games on Regulation  10 foot hoops.  No where in adult basketball do we see games being played on 15-20 foot hoops.  Comparatively speaking avg adult as a standing reach that is 2 & 1/2 to 2 foot from the rim Children in our sport are playing 4 & 1/2 to 4 feet from the rim.  That is a huge difference.  Please send all you can on benefits and negatives from shooting on 10 foot hoops?  I have my own philosophy but I would like to hear from the basketball community. 

Thank you.

• Coach Beez Legend 160 posts since
    Feb 4, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 27, 2013 1:11 PM (in response to zfense)
    Grades 3-6th Are 10 feet reg hoops really appropriate

I work as a personal trainer and run camps, clinics, and my own basketball acedmy. I have found that most kids that age have the strength to get the ball up to a 10 foot basket. I never use smaller hoops, and tell new parents that want to join, that we play on 10 foot baskets. Again, most children between 3rd - 6th are able to shoot on a higher basket ( within 6 feet let's say ), but when we get a child that struggles, we give nothing but encouragement. Once that particular child finally makes a basket, it is such an accomplishment and confidence builder, and you see the joy in their face.

Now, this is only in a training situation. If a child wishes to play on a team but does not have the size and strength to reach the basket, maybe it is time to wait for them to develop physically. Otherwise, find a league that uses shorter hoops. Typically, the shorter hoops are for K - 2nd graders.

If you can find a situation where winning isn't the end-all-be-all, and the goal of the team is to simply improve, to get better individually, and there is the other goals of learning good character, then that would be best.

Hope this helps.

Coach Beez

www.basketballwithcoachbeez.com

www.zaciswack.com

Yo, what up fools?: It's me, " THE MAN " , Zac Ryan. Even though I'm a cartoon character, I can still ball chump! So if you like basketball, then come check me out and read all my comic strips at:

www.zaciswack.com

I'm out.

• CoachSteve35 Amateur 13 posts since
    Mar 1, 2013

I happen to think that making kids play on a 10 foot goal is a silly mistake for a very important reason.

If the goal is too high for kids, they will alter their shooting form to touch the rim which will develop desastrous shooting habit that will be difficult to correct later.

Come here for more basketball tips.

Coach Steve,

Follow me for advanced basketball tips

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/basketballperformance

Twitter: https://twitter.com/hoopinSteve

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points