Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

487 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 11, 2013 10:12 PM by crl8686 RSS
jestarr Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 11, 2013 10:33 AM

Looking for advice to build up to a 10k (not quite a newbie)

To start off, I’d like to introduce myself.  I’m new to the forum.  I’m a longtime fitness person that has dabbled on and off with running several times.

Last year, I began running a lot more regularly.  I live in NYC, and Central Park is the best gift for runners.  After running Central Park, Spring-Fall, I realized how great running can be.  I’d say my average run was 2.25 miles.  I stopped running this winter, but have stayed active by doing spinning classes at a minimum of 2-3 times per week.

My heart rate on average is 80% of my Max during these classes.  Now that the weather is about to warm up, I’m looking to get back on the pavement and start running outside again.

My goal is to increase my distance to 5+ miles.  I’m looking for some customized help in order to plan some training to get there.  Most of the training programs I’ve found on the internet seem to cater towards the beginner runner (my fitness level is definitely above a Couch to 5K program).

I also enjoy weightlifting, so I’d like to keep cardio/strength training days in my schedule (figure 1-2 days per week).  

I just purchased a Garmin Forerunner so I’d like any training advice to be geared towards Heart Rate Training (if possible).

Thanks in advance, and look forward to the feedback.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...